Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
bought my little sis a 2000 focus lx a year ago for her first car. she didnt get her licence until just a few weeks ago. long story short car has an issue with any acceleration. it idles a little rough but does idle. car has 102 000 miles.in park you can increase the rpms with no issue. mabye a quick initial studder but thats it. when in gear you hit the accelerator and it just has nothing, falls on its face. so checked the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and when i had the filter off i hooked my mac tools fuel pressure gauge up and got 50 psi. it has no warning lights or anything. still i hooked it up to a computer and it read p1780 trans out of self test range, p1000 OBD 2 systems check inc. and p1703 brake switch out of self test range. does anyone have any ideas what is going on. the PCM mabye? thanks for any help

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
check for vacuum leaks. without looking up those codes my initial thought is vacuum lines for brakes and tranny have come off and the vacuum leak from the lines not being on the intake manifold are causing the car to run like crap.

throwing the codes out the window and ignoring them i tend to lean to that being a fuel pump issue. how long did the car sit without being driven? if it sat for a long time without at least being cranked and let sit running for a little bit every so often the fuel pump probably went bad. it still has enough life left to fuel the engine at idle and when you free rev it but when you put the engine under load the fuel pump cant keep up.

let me look up those codes in my book and ill get back with ya.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. usually you can hear vaccum leaks i understand not all the time though. i will check the tranny too, but seems to be a little bit of a problem in park as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got good pressure from the pump when i tested it, assuming i did it correctly. it held the pressure as well

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
the common cause for those CEL codes in my book is PCM. i doubt that is the issue though. a car with 100k miles is likely to have more than one unconnected problem. the PCM just doesnt go bad for the most part unless something gets to it to make it go bad. a huge electrical shock (lightening) water damage or a car crash beating it around are about all that will fry a pcm. im going to read some more in depth info on the p1780 code. an issue with the transmission can definitely cause the car to fall on its face when you try to accelerate.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
just because the fuel pump can achieve good pressure in the lines doesnt mean that it can maintain that high pressure when you try to send a high volume of fuel through it. this is another reason why wideband A/F ratio gauges are so helpful. if you are starving the engine of fuel and that is causing it to fall on its face the gauge would read lean. is there any chance that you can get access to a laptop and a ecu flasher like a xcalibrator 2 or 3 to datalog your car? datalogs are extemely helpful diagnostic tools with stuff like that.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i couldnt find much in regards to those codes. my suggestion is to start checking fuses, clear the DTC's that you have and try to drive the car around the block. according to my book those codes were most likely thrown because the computer was reset, this happens when the battery is disconnected for a period of time, and when you started it back up after the reset the computer started checking all the sensors in the car and those two sensors were not doing anything. i assume you just basically cranked the car up and let it sit and idle. since you didnt put the car in gear and move it you got the tranny code and since you never used the brakes since the car never moved you got the brake code as well. so reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and then turn the key ON to drain any residual juice from the wiring and whatnot in the car, turn the key off and reconnect the battery. crank the car up and try to drive it around the neighborhood some. the p1000 code will stay on until you complete a drive cycle or until the computer has checked everything. the car will probably still stumble and fall on its face but you shouldnt have those 2 codes anymore. if you complete a drive cycle and those codes still come up even if you have been driving it you may have a bad PCM, or the switches could be bad.

for the stumble and falling on its face check compression, check that the plugs are getting spark, take a close look at the timing belt too. 100k miles is about where the timing belt needs to be changed. mine broke at 107k i think. if you chewed up a tooth on the timing belt and it jumped time that would explain the stumble and lack of power as well.

ehh those flasher tools like the xcalibrator 2, xcalibrator 3 and, predator are a bit pricey since the primary use of these is to load a tune to the car's computer. they can be used to modify speed governor, rpm limiter, shift points, calibrate the speedo, read and clear DTC's, set what temp the radiator fans come on, adjust spark timing and fuel trims etc, etc. they are extremely useful tools to have if you plan to mod the car and possibly race it whether it be on the weekends, full time, or just want to beat it on the street from time to time but not so much if the car is simply a daily driver. poke around in the regional forum for the area you live in and see if there is a focusfanatic up your way that might let you borrow a flasher and help you get a datalog.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Some Great advice already, I'll throw in my 2 cents as well in case it helps...

When it's been sitting a while strange things can happen (from experience).

Falling flat can be lack of fuel (you checked that a bit), Lack of intake air, or even a plugged exhaust.

Check the air cleaner & intake tract thoroughly, since mouse nests etc. CAN occur to block things off, or even chew up the filter....

I've even seen exhausts stuffed with kibble (dog food) by mice so the exhaust has no where to go.... ( the pop, pop, pop as kibble flew across the shop WAS a bit humorous...). So make sure you are getting good flow out the tailpipe.... (Clogged CAT causes the same symptoms, but usually shows up as lack of power at speed first).

Any vacuum leak would be bad as well, and a hose could have deteriorated or even fallen off from age while it was sitting....

ALL comes under the heading of "check the dumb stuff first", so you know the basics are OK...

Luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Does it have fresh fuel in it?
Stale fuel can cause this type of problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts