Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a "great" morning today.

This post is about my shiny 2000 Focus SE wagon, with the SOHC 4-cylinder engine.

I replaced my serpentine belt just yesterday and was driving to work when all of a sudden the brand new belt decides to commit suicide with a bunch of dramatic noise and whatnot. Battery and oil light came on, power steering failed along with the A/C

The belt is still on there, it's just been chewed to shit on the outside and the car won't start...

My assumption is one or more of the pullies needs replacing/aligning.

Anybody have any other ideas why it won't start? It started fine without the belt yesterday before I put the new one on.

(Crossing fingers that the timing belt didn't snap [eek])

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I changed the wiggly pully and installed the belt. But alas, the car will still not start :(

It cranks and turns over just fine, but I'm not getting any sign of ignition.

I was going to check the timing belt by removing the inspection cover, but it perplexed me.

The water pump and engine mount seem to be solidly keeping it in place.

Any input from you seasoned focus experts?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Perform a compression test on all cylinders. Your serpentine belt failure may be a symptom of bigger problems with your SPI engine.

As a preliminary check for the timing belt, remove the oil cap (or valve cover) and crank the motor to check if the cam turns. If it does, it's not likely your timing belt (unless it's jumped.)

·
Registered
520 Posts
With a assistant:
spin motor over like stated and watch for cam movement through oil cap. also check fuses.
Then check for spark and fuel:
remove a srark plug reinstall it into the plug wire lay it on a piece of grounded metal like the head and watch for spark. (or for mean fun have assistant put finger in coil wire then tap key don't use you finger you will know real quick if there is good spark :) HEHEHE)
if good reinstall plug& wires. give car SMALL squirt of intake cleaner and see if it wants to start. Do all those and repost.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Is it possible that the belt coming off might have hit something in the engine bay(wiring) and damaged it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
He stated the oil light came on which should not have came on from loosing his serpantine belt im thinking timing belt or other engine failure.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Nope............guess again. When the alternator craps out, most of the time, a cel comes on. When you take the serpentine belt off and try to start the car, your batt light and oil light will stay on. Check your pulleys for any debris(ie... road tar and gravel) , check for loose pulleys, bad tensioner and just to make sure.......any uneven wear marks on the pulleys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K, so did all of the suggestions. Still a no go :(

Good spark
the timing belt is still on there
all fuses are good
starter spray didn't work
wiring installed snugly on all components

I'm about to take a peek at the fuel pump for any loose or burnt out wires. Also when cranking for a second or two the oil light goes off, so thank goodness that's not an issue.

The effort goes on!

Keep the advice coming, I need as much of it as I can get!

·
Registered
520 Posts
if you have spark starter spray should make it want to start (replaces need for fuel). I would check timing. if it started or at least tried to then I would check fuel. it sounds like it jumped timing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm taking a leap of faith and paying for a full computer diagnostic at AAMCO. I keep on reading about simple solutions via sensor replacements.

One might've popped during the heavy vibrations the car was doing right before the second belt snap or for any other reason it wouldn't start after, who knows....

Let's hope the car's computer doesn't lie xD

·
Registered
520 Posts
pull the valve cover and rotate the crank. if the slots on the cam don't line up then it jumped time. and that's your problem

Your aamco comp diag sonds like :(

If you didn't notice my sig. I have run shops. The sensors would have cut your spark. No sensor needed if you have spark, compression(timing) and spray starting fluid then it should at least try to run.

I'd seen a guy in a competion blow his fuel pump put his buddy under the hood spraying fluid in the TB and finished the course.
spark, compression and fuel = vroom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll post when it's done ^^.

I've removed the valve cover and turned it over to make sure it wasn't the timing, and it looked alright.

I keep on hearing "crankshaft position sensor" when I mention the symptoms to friends and family.

If nothing turns up on the diag, I'll know that you're right [giggle]

Stay Tuned! [thumb]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts