Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer.

I have a 2000 Focus with the Zetec 2.0 DOHC with auto trans. The factory converter is not as good as it once was and I'm getting the cat effeincy below threshold code.

Anyways, I ordered the direct fit converter from Magnaflow and they send me the wrong one. It's the correct part # but not the correct converter. Mine is an automatic & has the rear o2 sensor below the converter in the pipe, the new one has the bung for the o2 in the middle of the converter itself.

Magnaflow tells me that this is Ford's mistake as they put some manual trans converters on a few auto cars. He tells me that even though my car is an auto that now I need the manual cat.

So, Has anyone went through this before? Instead of shipping it back & waiting could I weld the bung on the cat & have a new one put on the lower pipe? Does anyone know if a manual and auto cat will bolt up the same?

Any ideas? Thanks alot guys, Rich.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My car happens to be on car ramps at the moment......

Remind me tomorrow to look underneath and see what the O2 sensor placement is when there's daylight.........

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My 2000 SE Zetec wagon has the O2 bung on the pipe too........

Also there's a bracket that goes around the cat, that then bolts to the engine.

Fed emissions if it matters.

Will the wire reach to the new location?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The o2 sensor won't reach it without cutting & extending it. I'm not sure if it would work anyways as it may get a false reading being in the converter itself. The other models using this cat may be calibrated differently.

Is your Focus an automatic?

Magnaflow is shipping out the correct one for the car, even though it's an auto I need the manual cat. I think it's just a build date issue that Magnaflow doesn't address, They are being very helpful & I should have the correct cat on Wed of next week. I'll post an update then.

Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, I received the so called direct fit catalytic converter from Magnaflow.

I will say that Planet Magnaflow who I ordered it from had great customer service & promptly got the correct unit shipped out. I have nothing but good to say about them.

However I'm not very happy with Magnaflow itself, There direct fit converters will bolt up and fit but what they don't mention is that there are no studs in the converter like the stock one, The holes aren't even threaded to receive them, the 2 front heat shield threaded holes are not there and there was welding splatter on the o2 bung threads, no gaskets either. Magnaflows response was "we are not in the gasket business"

I got it to work after buying new hardware and tweaking a couple of things but I'm still a little upset over the whole deal.

The factory cat was defiantly on it's way out, the honey comb catalyst was starting to come apart. You could hear it rattling around when I shook it and a few pieces fell out. What's the deal with these Focus converters failing around 100,000 miles? Normally a cat will last the life of the vehicle and I have read about a bunch of these cats failing early on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts