Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hit a curb - both airbags popped. Wow - dusty - thought we were on fire and it was smoke. Anyhow, I see I can buy "used" airbags on eBay or have these ones "repacked" - any concerns with either. Are there any sensors that need to be replaced or reset or whatever.

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
How did you avoid knocking out windshield? They use windshield as a shape former and direction control for pass side bag, it usually destroys windshield and dash as well.

The seat belt pretensioners will have gone off too, the inside stalks you fasten belt into. The stalks will be all wrinkled up, one time use like the bags. The airbag module under center console writes to a flash chip at time they go off, meaning it will no longer work either until reflashed clean and back with all car information (VIN, other things).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Replace bags, belt tensioners, control module and probably the "clock spring" inside the steering wheel. Will probably need the impact sensors too if they are not built into the module.
I'd go to the U-Pull-It and find a car that didn't have a deployment and take everything. I'd rather buy used OEM bags than trust some re-packed thing done by someone I don't know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - the windshield was blown out by the pass. airbag. I don't have the time to mess with all the bits - seems like the best thing to do is sell the wreck.

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
And exactly what they want..................Ford seems to have designed the airbag system to do max damage to the cars to try to get most then sold as junk. They don't want the fixed ones coming back to haunt them in lawsuits. Why the damages there are so high..........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts