Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi i have a 2003 Ford Focus

while servicing my wheel bearings i noticed there was a hole in the rubber for my wheel cylinder

im having trouble finding the correct size socket to remove my wheel cylinder
can anyone tell me the correct size drive for the two bolts below the brake line

also i noticed that replacing the wheel cylinder is NOT in the HOW TO archive
i am more then happy to wrote a tutorial for replacing the wheel cylinder in return for the help in finding the bolt size

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
Dont know size of socket. But there probably is corrosive stuff on bolts. try closest size and tap lightly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont know size of socket. But there probably is corrosive stuff on bolts. try closest size and tap lightly.
I'm thinking 10mm

and the ABS connector being 8mm
thanks for the replays i dont have ABS mine is a off the shelf ZTS
so no fun stuff like ABS and rear disk im stuck with drum brakes

i just tried 5/16 from a base set of sockets from walmart
and according to google 5/16 is 7.9 mm so im guessing 8 mm socket

now just gotta get the brake line wrench and im set

·
Registered
521 Posts
That's how I have to do all my bolts now. Find a socket that wants to go on but won't, then lightly tap it on with a hammer.

On a side note, I finally made the leap and bought the disc brake parts from salvage. Need to buy new pads, rotors, and hardware, then it'll be goodbye drums.

Toby

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Metrics are needed for sure, you'll find some American sizes are useful on occasion for those corroded/off size fasteners mentioned.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Or they quickly shear off the corners to make the rest of the repair horrible..............if one wants to stop many of the butcher jobs on these then bury the SAE tools.

On these drums the brake dust is so abrasive and invasive that changing wheel cylinders is almost a given, not like the old days where you never changed them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried taking mine off it's between 7 mm and 8 mm unfortunately they do not make a 7.5 mm socket you have to buy a special tool from ford which looks like a universal extension very expensive

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Rust makes bolt heads smaller, six point sockets or even using an American size as a substitute for metric (or the reverse) is the answer.

No special Ford Only 7.5 mm. size.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Just gotta hit it on with a hammer, put the ratchet on it, go to town.

Sent from the top of a tree.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
8 mm. is pretty much the same size as SAE 5/16"..........................

·
Registered
457 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts