Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think 200 WHP is possible on these cars? I have seen numbers from _RED_ and Focusboy that are around 180. I noticed RED does not have a header yet and Focusboy doesnt seem to have a tune yet so maybe once they both get those things done they would be closer to 200? what if they added a ported throtle body to the mix and then updated the tune for that? I just bought my focus a week ago and have been on this forum a lot trying to get ideas for my car and i really want to get 200 WHP out of this car but not sure if it can be done. Maybe mid 180's to 190 is more realisitc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I see a max of 190 happening. 200whp is pushing it. Never the less 190whp in our car is close to 210 crank hp which is on par with a civic si or vw gti, though the gti makes way more tq

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah based off of what i've read so far on different threads it seems like 190 might be possible although i think the highest i've see so far is 183 from focusboy. But like i said both him and RED dont have everything done yet. I'm excited to see what their cars are putting down if they get more done. It will be probably over a year before i can get everything i want done to mine done so i'm using what i find out about their cars as a bases haha. I'm glad people are getting this stuff done and posting in on the forum its very helpful.

·
Registered
324 Posts
with just simple bolt ons (intake, header, exhaust) and a tune, I think 190 is possible. Unfortunately, that's about all we can do relatively easily at the moment since engine performance part development for the n/a focus is non-existent. The 59mm tb might help, but who knows. You could get a set of stock cams and send them to Crower to get regrinded; that could help also.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I see a max of 190 happening. 200whp is pushing it. Never the less 190whp in our car is close to 210 crank hp which is on par with a civic si or vw gti, though the gti makes way more tq
190whp is way more then 210 crank hp and would walk a civic si or a gti.

·
Registered
31 Posts
List of things to get gains without opening the motor:
intake
header
high flow cat
cat back exhaust
tune
E85
Each of those is +5ish whp, for round numbers. The combo of header, high flow cat, and cat back exhaust, is probably good for 10whp combined, or just do the cat back for 5-7hp alone. But if you want to max it, you'll need the other two.
That's about $1500-2000 of stuff, depending on how you go about it.
If you really REALLY want more, you'll have to take the motor apart and upgrade the cams, port and polish the manifolds/head, higher compression pistons and maybe new valves/springs.
Unfortunately that's getting into the territory of "Sell it and buy an ST" though. Because that's $4k+ of having someone else pulling your motor apart. OR alternatively, buy an Ecoboost crate engine for $6000 and save yourself a lot of time and money.
I HATE when people say "Sell it and buy an ST" but to pass 200whp that's how much it would cost. Even if you lost money on your current car.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
List of things to get gains without opening the motor:
intake
header
high flow cat
cat back exhaust
tune
E85
Each of those is +5ish whp, for round numbers. The combo of header, high flow cat, and cat back exhaust, is probably good for 10whp combined, or just do the cat back for 5-7hp alone. But if you want to max it, you'll need the other two.
That's about $1500-2000 of stuff, depending on how you go about it.
If you really REALLY want more, you'll have to take the motor apart and upgrade the cams, port and polish the manifolds/head, higher compression pistons and maybe new valves/springs.
Unfortunately that's getting into the territory of "Sell it and buy an ST" though. Because that's $4k+ of having someone else pulling your motor apart. OR alternatively, buy an Ecoboost crate engine for $6000 and save yourself a lot of time and money.
I HATE when people say "Sell it and buy an ST" but to pass 200whp that's how much it would cost. Even if you lost money on your current car.
Assigning everything a 5 hp increase is not a valid way of measurement, and doesn't tell the truth about the mods. Each one in and of it self may promise a certain increase over a completely stock car, but the sum cannot simply be added up to arrive at a wheel horsepower figure.

Long story short is the only way to know how much power the car makes before and after is to dyno test the car after each modification.

The simple answer to why people say to simply buy the ST instead is because it has a lot more modification potential already, and it's also why there aren't any off the shelf turbocharger kits for the 2012+ 2.0 L GDI Focus. Where as the FR-S or BRZ has no factory turbocharged model and there is a bigger aftermarket for performance modifications.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i agree witht he just buy a ST logic if you are wanting a ton of power but i'm perfectly happy with around 190 for a daily driver. Plus i dont know why but i just like a built up N/A motor more then a boosted engine for some reason. Just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Assigning everything a 5 hp increase is not a valid way of measurement, and doesn't tell the truth about the mods. Each one in and of it self may promise a certain increase over a completely stock car, but the sum cannot simply be added up to arrive at a wheel horsepower figure.

Long story short is the only way to know how much power the car makes before and after is to dyno test the car after each modification.

The simple answer to why people say to simply buy the ST instead is because it has a lot more modification potential already, and it's also why there aren't any off the shelf turbocharger kits for the 2012+ 2.0 L GDI Focus. Where as the FR-S or BRZ has no factory turbocharged model and there is a bigger aftermarket for performance modifications.
Oh, I know none of those are guaranteed bolt-on WHP and 5 certainly isn't the magic number. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies. But "5ish" was based off of dozens of others' dyno numbers after their mods. The ISH was supposed to be the big part.
I'm not suggesting that putting a high flow cat on a bone stock car would be an instant +5 horsepower gain, that would be stupid. But if someone's doing a header and cat back exhaust, a high flow cat would probably open up and smooth out the exhaust flow a little bit, assuming they want every last drop of power out of their engine. That's why I mentioned ported and polished heads later on.
The gist of my post was that if someone is simply seeking numbers, they'll end up just shy of 190 before having to spend a LOT of money.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Someone will figure out the recipe eventually.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thinking about all this talk of 200 whp... why not look at a nitrous kit? Do your intake, extake, tomtune, nitrous, and be done with it. You aren't going to be using all the power all the time. When you want the fun, turn on the tank. I am being serious, and don't call me Shirley.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont want to blow my engine!!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
904 Posts
You have to remember that our cars are relatively new which means aftermarket parts are far and few between. In reality it is very possible to turbo these cars. And before anyone bites my head off I have heard the whole dct can't handle power argument. No one has any idea how much it can actually handle. Someone with a 5 speed like myself could probably handle a good amount of power. I know someone like Tom could make a custom turbo kit for these cars. Running low boost you could probably keep stock internals. Anything more than that and its time to build your motor. Just give it time and more parts will surface including easier forced induction methods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You have to remember that our cars are relatively new which means aftermarket parts are far and few between. In reality it is very possible to turbo these cars. And before anyone bites my head off I have heard the whole dct can't handle power argument. No one has any idea how much it can actually handle. Someone with a 5 speed like myself could probably handle a good amount of power. I know someone like Tom could make a custom turbo kit for these cars. Running low boost you could probably keep stock internals. Anything more than that and its time to build your motor. Just give it time and more parts will surface including easier forced induction methods.
I said earlier that the 5 speed would be able to handle low boost power but it would need a new clutch and eventually synchros. Not to mention the gearing is a little on the low end already so it'll get terrible fuel economy on boost. Automatics as a rule don't handle much more torque than stock. Not without being built beforehand. But I don't know of many people here who bought the auto that want boost anyway.

The intake manifold is the major hurdle in forced induction for our cars right now. We have to wait for more manifolds for the ST to come out.
As for the nitrous, someone ran a 100 dry shot in his stock MK3 a while back and blew his engine in very little time. That thread is around the forum somewhere. Someone else is working on a 25 dry shot and MIGHT move up from there. The thread is here somewhere I just don't have time to find it right now.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I said earlier that the 5 speed would be able to handle low boost power but it would need a new clutch and eventually synchros. Not to mention the gearing is a little on the low end already so it'll get terrible fuel economy on boost. Automatics as a rule don't handle much more torque than stock. Not without being built beforehand. But I don't know of many people here who bought the auto that want boost anyway.

The intake manifold is the major hurdle in forced induction for our cars right now. We have to wait for more manifolds for the ST to come out.
As for the nitrous, someone ran a 100 dry shot in his stock MK3 a while back and blew his engine in very little time. That thread is around the forum somewhere. Someone else is working on a 25 dry shot and MIGHT move up from there. The thread is here somewhere I just don't have time to find it right now.
Yea forced induction is a very fickle mistress and nitrous I just stay away from lol.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts