Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have what i feel is a problem with my focus I dont get enough voltage to cover the load of the car unless i unplug the battery and re-connect it and then it will cover the load for awile and i have been discussing this alot and have gotten alot of help ( thank you ) some people have mentioned adding a higher voltage alternator.

One question lets say it is just a poorly designed system which does not create enough voltage to cover the load of the car ( i cant see how ford would make a non self sustaining vehicle but... ) if i put a 200 amp or 140 amp alternator in the car wouldint that be the same as popping in a 30 amp or a 20 amp breaker on 15 amp wiring in a house and lets say if the problem is a wire grounding out what are the chances i should just keep marshmellows in the car or just save the money and buy a gas can and a pack of matches ... my point is I don't wanna overload the vehicles wiring and cause it to either destroy the wiring and not run at all or destroy the wiring and set the car on fire.
Yes i have done the big 3 but is that enough to not worry about the extra load?

replacement parts since 12/10 bought at 147,600 has 150,700 now
ac compressor, evac and freon, alternator, battery, big 3 wiring, water pump, idler pully, serpantine belt, rad flush, shift solenoid a, trans flush, trans filter and gasket, new plugs and wires, new heater core, new cabin filter, new fuel filter, new rh axle, added fog lights, new rad fluid resivour ( i broke it ), new thermostat 2x, new heater hoses, new radiator hoses , im sure i'm forgetting stuff
yes i have put that much money into a car and i have only gotten 3.1k miles outta it

now my to my silverado bought in 1/10 162,000 now 180,000
replaced ac pump, evac and freon, drivers rear brake line, flushed brake lines, plugs & wires, thermostat, yep thats about it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
""""if i put a 200 amp or 140 amp alternator in the car wouldint that be the same as popping in a 30 amp or a 20 amp breaker on 15 amp wiring in a house """"

Assuming that you COULD install a 200 Amp alternator in a Focus... It is not the same. The only thing that you added were fog lights and I hope that you brought the wire right to the battery connection. Did you increase the fuse size in any circuit? probably not so it its not the same as in your example above.

""""higher voltage alternator."""" You DO mean a higher AMPERAGE alternator

""""but is that enough to not worry about the extra load?"""" Caused by just the fog lights??? or did you had one of those HUGE audio systems that really suck Amps ?

What did you use in replacing the heavy cables between the battery, starter and alternator? Preformed cables? or did you make them up your self? Hammering terminals [those size anyway] onto that size wire is no good- you need to take the cables with terminals down to some welding supply store where they can make gas tight crimps

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not the added amps of the fogs the system appears to be unable to maintain the load of the system with the ac on and sometimes even without the ac on i have replaced alternator and battery and have had them tested also replaced the pigtail and did the big 3 no battery light no codes so for some reason i guess its running right how u make a 5 mile trip and the car is running off the battery and thats normal i dunno lol but lets just assume i have more than one problem so as it is if i idle the car the battery will start draining if i have the ac on so i am to assume thats normal from what i hear retarted if u ask me but w/e so i am to assume that if i replace the alternator with a 200a alternator then all i need to do is replace the battery lead which actually does not seem right cause on the dohc the lead from the alt goes to the starter now if there is other wires branched off the starter from the lead coming from the alternator then that would cause a issue of a over amperage and i could assume that the wires could overheat melt and do things not so nice i dont have a full wiring schematic but with viewing the alternator lead path i can see potential system problems with adding the 200a alternator now if the alternator went straight to the battery like in the sohc then the big 3 beef up would cover it.

and i did the guide i found online that says to take the alt lead to the battery and i used di-electric grease & copper clamps ( the ones u use a flat head screw driver to tighten ) and heat shrink tubing

·
Registered
505 Posts
Did someone install an overdrive pulley set? Most people agree that it adds at least .049 hp on a Focus (i.e. not worth the expense and trouble) but it will definitely cut the alternator output. Second, with the many miles, there may be some corrosion in the connections. If you have access to a quailty DVOM, shine up the battery posts (not the clamps) and a spot on the starter stud and the engine. Set meter for DC volts and measure the volts between the (+) post and the starter stud and the (-) post and ground while someone is cranking the engine. In each place you should see less than 1/2 volt; more and you have a corroded, high resistance connection sapping your voltage. Note this load test is more accurate than a resistance test as the DVOM uses milliamps of current to test resistance, but this method really increasesthe current and simulates real world conditions. Make sure you measure from the battery posts as the high resistance may be at the post/clamp interface.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Check the alternator pigtail, ECU won't be able to regulate or compensate for the load. Have a Bosch 220 out of the box the regulator had to be changed, works fine but also replaced the smaller pulley that came with it for a regular one.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104396

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
One Thread for one issue would work better, right now you have THREE going at once, for the SAME issue....

Not to be TOO "pissy" here, but if you don't want to listen to the advice given, why ask the question!

Check out what's REALLY going on, THEN give more info. in the original thread!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
""""if i put a 200 amp or 140 amp alternator in the car wouldint that be the same as popping in a 30 amp or a 20 amp breaker on 15 amp wiring in a house """"

Assuming that you COULD install a 200 Amp alternator in a Focus... It is not the same. The only thing that you added were fog lights and I hope that you brought the wire right to the battery connection. Did you increase the fuse size in any circuit? probably not so it its not the same as in your example above.

""""higher voltage alternator."""" You DO mean a higher AMPERAGE alternator

""""but is that enough to not worry about the extra load?"""" Caused by just the fog lights??? or did you had one of those HUGE audio systems that really suck Amps ?

What did you use in replacing the heavy cables between the battery, starter and alternator? Preformed cables? or did you make them up your self? Hammering terminals [those size anyway] onto that size wire is no good- you need to take the cables with terminals down to some welding supply store where they can make gas tight crimps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts