Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 SE that has always gotten just 20 MPG. It has the dual overhead cammed Zetec Engine. Has anyone been able to get better gas mileage than this with this engine?[scratch]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obviously something is wrong. It looks like my mileage is off by about 30%. I change the oil every 3000 and keep clean air and oil filters installed. It starts up quick. Runs great, but slurps gas. I wonder if the fuel regulator is screwy. Anybody ever have one go bad?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
could be an o2 sensor stuck in open loop, have you ever changed the 02 sensors?

·
Registered
485 Posts
i get the same gas millage so i wanna know what i can do to get it better

·
Registered
485 Posts
Short city trips with the AC on will give you low mpg........
i filled my car up till the nozzle stopped, and then went 10 miles up highway 50 and came back to the same gas station and put exactly a gallon in at 20 miles on the trip odometer and i wasnt running the a/c when i did thatb

·
Not so green zx3
7,199 Posts
ive been getting real crappy gas mileage ever since i got my fuel pump changed. best ive gotten since getting it changed is 26 mpg all highway. im around 22 city. im going to check my o2 sensor this weekend. change the oil this weekend. and hope that it does better

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
There is no way to "check" a o2 sensor with out a scan tool to see what the trims are showing

Find a local FF member that has a xcal scan tool and see whats going on there are a lot of sensors that would cause low MPG

Tom

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
i filled my car up till the nozzle stopped, and then went 10 miles up highway 50 and came back to the same gas station and put exactly a gallon in at 20 miles on the trip odometer and i wasnt running the a/c when i did thatb
That's not an accurate reading of your mpg's. You have to drive at least a quarter to a half tank to get a good average.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's not an accurate reading of your mpg's. You have to drive at least a quarter to a half tank to get a good average.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
my gas gauge is messed up, when i fill it all the way up it goes to E and the gas light comes on if it is at a quarter of a tank im probably goen to run out of gas lol so i can never actually can tell were my gas is, i usually use my trip odometer and fill up at 150 to 200 miles so i dont run out of gas again like i did before

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

It very hard to get the same fill on focus's

I can put in from .5 to 1.5 more gallons in the tank from when it first clicks off............. (It's usually about 1 gallon)

With my parents car, the mileage looks really bad if I top off the tank if the previous fillup was done by my parents....

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, you'll have to datalog for the o2, see if the voltage for the o2 is just steady. if it doesn't change, the 02 is bad.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you'd have to splice off the wires, but ya, i think you could

·
Registered
485 Posts
you'd have to splice off the wires, but ya, i think you could
i will jus poke a little hole in each wire and tape over them when i am done, now i have to go repo my volt meter from my friend lol

·
Rollin' Hard
2,137 Posts
got the same problem...
my check engine is on, so i checked the code and the o2 sensor is bad...
gonna replace it and i hope that helps a little...
the air filter is clean, change oil every 3000 miles with full synthetic same with ngk spark plugs... and the sensor is the only thing that i could think of...

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
^full synthetic won't help gas mileage.

Ngk spark plugs are not a good choice. Either Autolite or whatever ford recommends (does motorcraft make plugs?)

The o2 sensor will fix most if not all of your mileage problem.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 33 Posts