Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Focus just ticked over 20,000 miles last night. No issues. Just a good car. A few of the typical annoyances, like the outside temperature display is a wild guess at best. But, that's far from the end of the world. Frankly, it's not an essential feature for me. Can't really say there's anything I'm unhappy about. The 5 speed manual is still great. Still handles better than I had expected it too. Just a great car.

Hoping the rest of you are as happy with yours as I am with mine! Especially those of you keeping the manual transmission market alive! I had to order mine, the dealers just don't keep 5 speeds on the lot!

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I still feel the same about mine after almost 4 years and 46,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Congrats dude! It is a hell of a car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
3 years and 44k on mine. Still on stock tires with acceptable tread for next months inspection. MPG's have always exceeded my expectations, last 4 tanks have been 31.X with winter gas. Im a happy owner. I bought this car for good mileage as I enjoy driving so mpg is a big factor. It has enough sporty nature to keep me entertained. Responds well to bolt on mods+tune also. FS Werks stealth that is 2.5 years old still gets compliments. Enjoy the Focus OP.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Amazing how us 5 speed owners are a mostly happy lot.

I will hit 20,000 this week.

No problemo. One of the best cars I have ever owned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
IMO, the 5 speed mk3 focus is one of the best econoboxes you can buy. I rate it higher than some older goodies by Honda and Toyota. I even used to own an 87 civic that I loved. Its longevity will ultimately decide how its revered. I honestly see no reason why we can't get a quarter million out of these 5 speeds.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well, I love my DCT, so there... I had to get it repaired once but it's great overall. There's no way I'd accept 1980's technology 5-speed in a modern car... add a modern 6-speed manual that even a Kia Rio has available, and I'd bite.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
2 years 101,000 miles on the clock. DCT is still running smooth, that's after a season of autox :)

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
After 3.5 years, my Focus Ti has never needed service (other than software updates).
It runs great and the DCT and MFT work very well.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've clocked about 48,000 miles on my 2013 5-speed SE hatch. I'm only now encountering my first problem: I think I have the same bad evap solenoid others have reported (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482577). I'm just waiting for warmer weather to see if I can pinpoint the location of the noise.

Other than that, it has been a peach. Reasonably fun/engaging to drive but still averages 31 mpg in mixed driving.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a six speed. But, it's final gear ratio that matters. Plenty of 6 speeds are geared just as 'high'. My stepdads 6 speed Mazda rev's at the same RPM's on the highway as my 5 speed focus. Don't get too caught up on speeds. The one extra cog doesn't do a lot for you, except perhaps marginally improve acceleration at higher speeds.

The 5 speed is bullet proof, shifts well, I really enjoy it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
54K on my '13 manual...great commuter car and so glad I was firm on getting a manual.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well, I love my DCT, so there... I had to get it repaired once but it's great overall. There's no way I'd accept 1980's technology 5-speed in a modern car... add a modern 6-speed manual that even a Kia Rio has available, and I'd bite.
Sure, a 6-speed would be great and give a bit better highway mpgs..but the 5-speed is smooth and rock-solid. Happy to shift it every day! I can say I haven't had to have my repaired so I call that a win.

·
Registered
132 Posts
just turned over 26 thousand miles my 2012 five speed. loving my focus every single day. still averaging 30 mpgs and one problem with a cv boot but warranty got that when i had the ford racing handling kit installed

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've clocked about 48,000 miles on my 2013 5-speed SE hatch. I'm only now encountering my first problem: I think I have the same bad evap solenoid others have reported (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482577). I'm just waiting for warmer weather to see if I can pinpoint the location of the noise.

Other than that, it has been a peach. Reasonably fun/engaging to drive but still averages 31 mpg in mixed driving.
Off-topic but its easy to tell - when its making the clicking/tapping noise, just unplug it (I believe there are some photos of this part in that thread) and see if the noise stops. If it does, bang..that's it!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Why fix something that's far from broken?
Because when I drop a bunch of money on a '13 vehicle, I want ALL of it to have modern technology... I came from driving a manual and like them, but my 20 year old car had a 5-speed and when a base model Kia Rio has a 6-speed then that's what I personally insist on when I shell out the cash.. Sure I had to have my DCT fixed once but it was covered under warranty and got a comparable loaner car for free while it was done. I especially like it now that I got a motor mount insert installed, and that's something obviously the manual guys would appreciate too... probably our cars biggest weakest point is the stock rear motor mount.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts