Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2-wheel or 4-wheel alignment with new tires?

7818 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  amc49
Replacing all 4 tires next weekend with Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 in stock size (215/50/17).

Is it a good idea to get an alignment at the same time? 2-wheel or 4-wheel?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
19,376 Posts
Zero at static will NOT be zero moving, on either end............if you make up on one end for it you should do the other as well. Front will warp out of shape about twice what back will.

· Registered
19,376 Posts
Depending on where you're at all that attention to detail may not even matter that much. I buy cheap 50K tires and only a pair at a time cycling the new to front and front to rear. The tires may approach the mileage wearout number but will always heatcrack first to be too dangerous to keep driving on, at least for me. Here in Texas. Buying four tires at a time proved out to be WAY more expensive, you pay bigtime for that cushybutt smoothness all the time. I was losing tires from damage that were still close to new. I pay for no road hazard and repair all flats myself so even more cash saved. Not for everybody though.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to get rid of the problem of backs wearing faster than fronts because of natural frequency oscillation. No weight back there to damp it out like old school rear wheel drive cars did. Balancing slows it down but will not stop it all. The tires begin to wear out of round and you'll help some of that by rotating frequently which I quit doing as the tires will be making noise and bumping right about again at suncracking change time anyway. It was easier to simply give up and cost nothing in tire life at all doing so. Commonly the rears will be destroyed by a nail maybe 40% of the time anyway, the morons around here dump all their construction work nails on the highway and laugh about it. It's nothing to have three plugs in a tire.............

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.