Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
What kind of nose are you hearing from the brakes- squealing?

What kind of noise are you hearing from the serpentine belt? It might be a sign of a bad idler pulley, and I'd think that would be covered under warranty. Your problem there is that you will have to tell the technician how to replicate the sound. Problems that can't be replicated can't be repaired.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna take the guy for a quick spin if he lets me. its really noticeable problem. I cant accurately describe the noise to you. only if i could record it some how.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'm gonna take the guy for a quick spin if he lets me. its really noticeable problem. I cant accurately describe the noise to you. only if i could record it some how.
Hi anwi1179,

It shouldn't be an issue to have someone ride along so you can duplicate the noises. I suggest speaking to the Service Manager to have them assist. Let me know how it goes!

~Natasha

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi anwi1179,

It shouldn't be an issue to have someone ride along so you can duplicate the noises. I suggest speaking to the Service Manager to have them assist. Let me know how it goes!

~Natasha
Well they claimed to have resurfaced my brakes but the noise is still very much present. I really give up on there ability to resolve issues with my car. Nothing has been repaired.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Well they claimed to have resurfaced my brakes but the noise is still very much present. I really give up on there ability to resolve issues with my car. Nothing has been repaired.
Sorry to hear you are still having concerns. PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I'll review the situation.

Thanks!

~Natasha

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So brakes not fixed, but what happened with the serpentine belt?

For the 4th time " they claimed that they could not locate the issue therefore they couldn't make any repairs" ITS THE PULLIES! Jesus Christ. I've seriously given up on this dealership they haven't resolved any of the issues I've notified them about.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Depending on which one is making the noise depends on how expensive the repair will be. There's nothing you can do for the alternator except replace it- for example. That will be $300 + labor. The tensioner and idler pulleys will be about $100 to replace both + labor. There is no way to lube the bearings on the pulleys.

Unless the squeaking is continuous then there's no way to pinpoint exactly what is causing the noise. That's why mechanics don't hear it. Without a continuous noise- you're throwing parts at it in order to figure out which one the problem is. It doesn't matter who makes the car, or who services it- with something like that, it's the only way to fix it. That will cost a lot of money.

I can tell you this- regardless of what is causing the squeak, if something is breaking- it will be a continuous squeak eventually. If something is wearing in, then it will disappear eventually. I don't do it any different on my vehicles.

The brakes, I don't know. I can tell you that sometimes brake pads, regardless of manufacturer, will make a rough grinding sound while the pad is still plenty good. It's not the piston because that's what pushes the pad into the rotor. It's the pad, and the semi-metallic compound that the pad's friction surface is made of. Sometimes some spots are a little rougher. It will eventually wear grooves in the rotors, and sometimes the sound will disappear. It can go either way. If the sound is from the back, then it could be that a hold-down spring is missing from one of the shoes. Those can make a loud grinding sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts