Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys so im gonna pick up a volant intake for my zx3 and i found a couple on ebay. there the one im used to seeing and then there was one that had a closed box and a snorkle. i hadnt seen this before and was just curious if you guy knew of any major difs in the two it seems to be a pretty good deal since it includes the snorkle but again this was new to me so what do you guys think? here is the one i was looking at....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vola...010QQitemZ200013620445QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

fair price for this kit?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
This intake is designed for the ZETEC engine.......

I used to have one on my focus, before I sold it. It's still IMO the best intake out there for the ZETEC, by far.

The VOLANT SCOOP was an additional piece that attached to the top of the VOLANT box with screws and replaced the stock snorkle intake.

For the record, the VOLANT SCOOP does NOT work with any strut bars as there is no room for it. Actually the VOLANT intake itself CAN work with strut bars but it's a very tight fit. I had a FC strut bar on my car with the VOLANT intake and it worked for me.

If you have any other specific questions, please ask me, I know the VOLANT like the back of my hand..........

·
Registered
115 Posts
So,

on the Volant intake the snorkel attaches to the top of the filter box and just goes to where your stock snorkel attaches to, and it still fits correctly?

·
Registered
958 Posts
it attaches to the top of the box, and goes OVER everything and mounts where the stock snorkel started...make sense?

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I've heard that the Snorkel is mostly a show piece, and that there is no real difference in gains if you have it or not...

S2.... what are your thoughts on it?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
01Kona said:
So,

on the Volant intake the snorkel attaches to the top of the filter box and just goes to where your stock snorkel attaches to, and it still fits correctly?
Yup.... exactly. It fits correctly yes as long as you DON'T use a strut brace.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
I've heard that the Snorkel is mostly a show piece, and that there is no real difference in gains if you have it or not...

S2.... what are your thoughts on it?
Yeah if you ask me, it's a waste of money. I'd love to see the actual gains before and after with it...

Sorry but for that price of the Volant Scoop, and getting 0.1HP increase, umm no thanks. It does look cool though.... ha.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Poney said:
i dont see how it would give any noticable gains
It is suppose to draw in cooler air though the larger opening and direct it right into the airbox which would somewhat now be sealed. So it's like cold air directly into the filter. The Volant comes with a rubber seal atop the airbox that already somewhat seals it to the bottom of the hood of the car. Again, the difference is probably nothing worth the price in actual gains, if any..........

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
^^^ agreed, tha ram air scoop ir $110-$120 on most sites I've seen... for little gain, not worth it IMO.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
^^ unless your going for the whole 'bling under the hood' look as that intake with the scoop is one damn eye catching design.....

If it was cheaper, I would have bought it......

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
The guy I bought my volant from actually went so far as to take off the rubber ring from around the top, drill holes in the volant, and mount a plexiglass shield over the top of it, and used some dryer ducting (or whatever it is) to extend the intake down under the car a little....

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Nope. I got it from someone else....

SSSSSSLLLLAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!!! \m/ \m/

hehe.. sorry.. had to.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You'd be better off getting the Volant and an SVT snorkle, and then attaching the two with a 3" silicone coupler and two hose clamps instead of the "ram-air" scoop.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
^^ yup I agree completely, at a fraction of the price of the additional scoop.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Very, very true.. I should probably look into that.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts