Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a possible HU replacement from my stock unit. I can get a Panasonic 1103 entry level cd player for $90 Canadian + tax. If I get it I will be hooking it up to a 2 channel amp and running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel. $90 is a sweet deal but is 2.5v enough. Panasonic has some higher up models with 4v and even 5v pre-outs. The upper models cost more money so i'm hoping 2.5v pre-outs will be fine. Hell, for $90, I would put one in my wife's car also. Going to bed now, hope I can get some responses before I wake up, if all is well with this particular model, I'm going to future shop tommorow to get 1 or maybe 2 Panasonic 1103's.

·
Registered
228 Posts
you'll find it's not a true 2.5v. We tested one for a customer the other day with a test tone and got a max of .750 volts output. It's a Panasonic from Future Shop, don't expect much.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Only thing the pre-out voltage does is determine how you set your gain on your amplifier. You will not hear an audible difference using a HU with 2v preouts and 8v preouts. The amp may be able to run a little cooler with 8v outputs, bu it won't be a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
DetroitBass said:
Only thing the pre-out voltage does is determine how you set your gain on your amplifier. You will not hear an audible difference using a HU with 2v preouts and 8v preouts. The amp may be able to run a little cooler with 8v outputs, bu it won't be a noticeable difference.
depending on the amplifier, running a higher pre-out voltage can help with background hiss as the amps gain will be down not to mention the higher the voltage the less chance of induced noise, the better signal integrity, etc etc

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I'd prefer the higher S/N ratio by using the higher voltage.

But as said, the average Joe may not know the difference, especially in an average system.

·
Registered
95 Posts
it is generally said that higher the pre out voltage the less signal noise your amp will pick up. I have a Panasonic 5110U. I have no problem with it. Itz the best Cd player i have owned so far.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
installman said:
you'll find it's not a true 2.5v. We tested one for a customer the other day with a test tone and got a max of .750 volts output. It's a Panasonic from Future Shop, don't expect much.
I'm not doubting your find, but did you also test one of Panasonics next level up HU. After Panasonics claimed 2.5v pre-outs, (which you tested at .750) their next claimed spec is 4v and then their top models get 5v. Are they pulling are a$$, or is Panasonic correct.

And oh ya, I bought a 1103 model, just one cause that's all they had (apparently) and I got it installed in my wife's corolla today, I decided to use the HU's power for 4 speakers and no amp so I can't give an opinion on how Panasonics claimed 2.5v pre-outs worked out. I think I will get a HU for my own car that has a minimum of 4v. Even if I would never notice, It would still bug me to put a HU in my car that claims 2.5v but in reality is only .750v.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The claimed pre-out voltage is at full volume.

But most HUs should never be turned past 80 percent volume due to clipping from the head unit.

And 70 to 80 percent of full volume is no where near 70 to 80 percent of pre-out voltage max; due to the voltage increase being algorithmic.

This is why I like to use 4v or higher. My last Alpine 9815 was rated 4v, and it tested a little over 3v before clipping at volume 30 out of 35 max. That's considered a good unit. My current DRZ9255 has an external DC-DC convertor that provides a super clean voltage for the HU and such. I have taken the DRZ to full volume and it's clean.... of course it better be for the price. LOL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FocusInCali said:
The claimed pre-out voltage is at full volume.

But most HUs should never be turned past 80 percent volume due to clipping from the head unit.

And 70 to 80 percent of full volume is no where near 70 to 80 percent of pre-out voltage max; due to the voltage increase being algorithmic.

This is why I like to use 4v or higher. My last Alpine 9815 was rated 4v, and it tested a little over 3v before clipping at volume 30 out of 35 max. That's considered a good unit. My current DRZ9255 has an external DC-DC convertor that provides a super clean voltage for the HU and such. I have taken the DRZ to full volume and it's clean.... of course it better be for the price. LOL
You are definitely one of the helpful and informative members on this site, keep it coming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts