Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
'09 SE coupe
12 Posts
Hey Hokeypoke, thanks for the reply! I’m gonna offer you some really solid advice that I wish someone had before I did my swap...if this is your daily driver, DON’T. It’s been a year and I’m still working on the tune and dialing everything in. if you can stomach that, then by all means, but it is a LOT of blood, sweat, and tears to get right, despite how straightforward and simple the swap seems.

With that disclaimer out of the way, if you don’t daily this car and want to swap it, there are quite a few guides available on FF, which are entirely what I used. I am pretty sure I linked all of the guides I used in my original post. But if you Google the phrase “focusfanatics” and then “2.5 swap”, a LOT will come up. There’s also a master list of torque specs that I am also pretty sure I linked.

Before I did the engine swap, I was a novice mechanic at best. I’d never done anything like it before. However, I also had done more than a year of research on these forums, as well as FocalJet, and some Miata forums to see what others were doing. There was also a sticky in one of the MassiveSpeed forums that was helpful, here’s the link:So you want to swap a 2.5 Duratec I4 in, Eh? 2.5 Recipes and secrets

Anyhow, if you’re serious about it, but also haven’t done something like this before, plan to decommission your car for a LONG time, and expect it to never again be as perfect as it was before you messed with it! Do enough studying that you’re able to stand in the shower and mentally rehearse the entire process, down to the torque spec on each nut and bolt. That was the point I got myself to before I was ready to pull the trigger. Got it done in 28 days, under 100hours of actual work. But that doesn’t include the thousands of hours of R&D beforehand, or the hundreds of hours spent fine-tuning afterwards. Or the thousands of $$$ spent on alignments, replacement parts that I got wrong or were defective, fluid refills, etc. etc....

Moral of the story is: it’s a whole friggin’ can of worms you’re about to open, my friend. If I were to do it over, I would’ve either just bought the FSWERKS turbo kit and been done with it, or just saved my $7,000 that I ended up spending on this and just traded for a WRX. But if you’re still serious about it, go ahead!! I just want to warn you ahead of time that it’s not all rainbows. It’s a lot more of a pain than it seems, for what you get afterwards :)
Hey Hokeypoke, thanks for the reply! I’m gonna offer you some really solid advice that I wish someone had before I did my swap...if this is your daily driver, DON’T. It’s been a year and I’m still working on the tune and dialing everything in. if you can stomach that, then by all means, but it is a LOT of blood, sweat, and tears to get right, despite how straightforward and simple the swap seems.

With that disclaimer out of the way, if you don’t daily this car and want to swap it, there are quite a few guides available on FF, which are entirely what I used. I am pretty sure I linked all of the guides I used in my original post. But if you Google the phrase “focusfanatics” and then “2.5 swap”, a LOT will come up. There’s also a master list of torque specs that I am also pretty sure I linked.

Before I did the engine swap, I was a novice mechanic at best. I’d never done anything like it before. However, I also had done more than a year of research on these forums, as well as FocalJet, and some Miata forums to see what others were doing. There was also a sticky in one of the MassiveSpeed forums that was helpful, here’s the link:So you want to swap a 2.5 Duratec I4 in, Eh? 2.5 Recipes and secrets

Anyhow, if you’re serious about it, but also haven’t done something like this before, plan to decommission your car for a LONG time, and expect it to never again be as perfect as it was before you messed with it! Do enough studying that you’re able to stand in the shower and mentally rehearse the entire process, down to the torque spec on each nut and bolt. That was the point I got myself to before I was ready to pull the trigger. Got it done in 28 days, under 100hours of actual work. But that doesn’t include the thousands of hours of R&D beforehand, or the hundreds of hours spent fine-tuning afterwards. Or the thousands of $$$ spent on alignments, replacement parts that I got wrong or were defective, fluid refills, etc. etc....

Moral of the story is: it’s a whole friggin’ can of worms you’re about to open, my friend. If I were to do it over, I would’ve either just bought the FSWERKS turbo kit and been done with it, or just saved my $7,000 that I ended up spending on this and just traded for a WRX. But if you’re still serious about it, go ahead!! I just want to warn you ahead of time that it’s not all rainbows. It’s a lot more of a pain than it seems, for what you get afterwards :)
Ben, you did me a solid. At 76 years old, that might not a project for me. I stuck a V8 in a Vega once, but most of my experience is from the straight 8 Pontiac and Chevy 6 era. It sounds like a wonderful project, but I don't think my mind is nimble enough to deal with the electronics. Thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Ben, you did me a solid. At 76 years old, that might not a project for me. I stuck a V8 in a Vega once, but most of my experience is from the straight 8 Pontiac and Chevy 6 era. It sounds like a wonderful project, but I don't think my mind is nimble enough to deal with the electronics. Thanks to all who responded.
Glad to help. Hopefully you can enjoy your Focus for years to come, and are able to make the transition to something faster when you’re ready.

Stay safe,
Ben

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Got myself hooked on Autocross this weekend:

Thinking about getting some dedicated racing wheels, as my nice all-seasons aren’t cutting it and I also don’t want to trash them. Looking into some 15x7 or 16x8 wheels...anyone have recommendations on tire sizes and/or tires in general? Would love to hear!

Ben

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Good to see you here on the forums @Focused Hands !! I’ve been hotly anticipating your 2.5 turbo build!

How difficult would you say it was to install the LSD in your MTX75? My stock trans drives fine but is starting to make seriously ugly backlash noises, I suspect bearings as I accidentally ran it without oil right after my swap :( If it dies and I end up replacing it, I’d be very inclined to slap an MFactory diff in there...

·
Registered
13 Posts
With the right tools... the lsd swap is Simple! I have 2 videos out covering the details! I (should) this week... have the engine and trans mated and installed. Having a few issues lining it up... so I'll pull the transmission jack out to help.

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
With the right tools... the lsd swap is Simple! I have 2 videos out covering the details! I (should) this week... have the engine and trans mated and installed. Having a few issues lining it up... so I'll pull the transmission jack out to help.
What timing (passenger side) cover did you install on the 2.5? I used one off a 2004 ZX4 ST 2.3L Duratec, and I didn’t realize that the engine mounts were different between the 2.3 and 2.0, so I reused my new-ish 2.0 mount and the engine slants slightly downward now. Drives fine but bugs me lol. If I ever need to do that mount again I’ll go for the 2.3 one

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
General thread update, haven't for a couple months, so get ready to read :)

Swapped out my Fiesta ST wheels (17x7) for some Konig Dekagrams in 16x8, wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's (205/50/16). I really dig the look, they're MUCH lighter, and now I don't have to deal with spacers anymore (it's a pain in the a$$!):

Also since I've started autocross, I decided to pick up an additional set of wheels and tires to use solely for racing. Actually the Konigs were supposed to be my racing wheels, but I dug the look so much I decided to keep them as my daily drivers! Also the spacers were a driving factor in that decision obviously.
So anyway... scoured the web for weeks until these popped up yesterday (below), picking them up this evening! Pretty rare Kosei Formula SF's (a.k.a. K8R's) in 17x7 size, with some 215/45/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports already installed at ~40% tread! At $400 for the whole set, I think this is a smoking deal. These will be my dedicated race wheels:

Another thing I realized during my last autocross (watch the vid here!!) was that this thing just understeers to no end. Even with the SVT suspension and rear swaybar conversion. So I did a little research, and found this thread detailing how the OEM rear sway bar off a MazdaSpeed3 will drop right into a 2000-11 Focus rear end. Found one on EBay for $75, it showed up 3 days later with bushings and brackets! I also ordered MS3 OEM ball-joint style end links, which is another huge upgrade to complement it. End result: ZERO understeer now. Nada. It hugs HARD, even on sloppy Conti DWS06 all season tires; I'd say it actually seems to want to get tail-happy sooner than lose front-end grip, which for an experienced driver is MUCH more preferable. Really excited to get this thing on the track now. I notice some clunking after installing it, which I attribute to my re-use of the OEM clapped-out bushings that came with it. Kind of expected that, so I ordered some JBR units designed for the OEM MS3 rsb. They're greasable via zerk fittings on the brackets themselves, which is a neat design. Those will be installed in a week or so and should cure my clunking. Here's the bar before I installed it:

In other news, I also installed a Steeda intake I got off of the Buy/Sell/Trade section here for $75+ship! It was for the 05-07 Duratec, which has a smaller MAF tube than the 08-11. Learned this the hard way after I installed and my car would barely run! Turbo Tom advised to switch to a 3" MAF tube, so I frankensteined a generic Autozone piece in place, and voila, it ran! Working on revising the tune with Tom, but so far it runs noticeably better, and really opened up the classic 2.5L's "angry snarl" when I step on it. Complements the Stealth exhaust note very well. Have a listen:

Here it is sitting in the engine bay:

The only other piece of news is that I am soon planning to convert my rear drum brakes to SVT disks, using '12+ calipers/pads and SVT rotors, and using Massive's conversion kit for the '09+ MY. Recently noticed that my driver side rear drum does absolutely nothing, had the E-brake cranked and it spun freely last time I had the rear end off the ground. Passenger side works great. This explains why my brake pedal feel is mushy at best, and my E-brake hardly works! Really looking forward to that swap, just saving up some "Focus Funds" on the back burner until I can justify that purchase.

Man, every now and then I stand back and am just blown away by how far my little car has come in the last year!! I just love this thing to pieces.

That's about all I have for now, but I'll leave you with a great action shot that someone got of me at last month's race:

I'll be busy over the next couple months, so probably expect another short novel like this one around then :)

Cheers for now,

- Ben

Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a side note... I will be firing up the ST at the end of the month... without the turbo installed! U need to check the engine and make sure everything is sound!

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
As a side note... I will be firing up the ST at the end of the month... without the turbo installed! U need to check the engine and make sure everything is sound!
Will do! Cool stuff

61 - 73 of 73 Posts