21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
But still takes a adapter ?

Tom
Yes the 70mm DBW throttle body still requires an adapter for the bolt pattern. The TB outlet diameter is bigger than the 2.5 manifold inlet, so the adapter is internally fluted to match them up. There are pictures of it above.

Since it’s a DBW engine in a DBW car, there is no IAC as idle is managed electronically via the TB. So the adapter does not need a provision for the IAC valve as there is not one on my car.

Ben

·
Registered
181 Posts
Finally finished the mountain of work I had planned for this car, so I figured I'd start an official thread to document everything. I got this car about two and a half years ago and started off by polishing it up and restoring it to mint factory condition. Then I started with some tasteful mods and upgrades, such as an upgraded steering wheel, enabling cruise control and radio buttons, adding a dome light and trunk release button in the interior, etc...

Then I got into the mechanical side of things, and it quickly escalated out of control.

As of right now, I have sucessfully swapped in a 2.5 from a 2014 Fusion with 92xxx mi on it. This replaced my old 2.0 with 158xxx on it. I'm working on getting it tuned, but even driving gently on the stock 2.0 tune it is unbelievably quick compared to how it used to be, and it runs quite well. All work was done in my garage with my novice mechanical skills, and just basic tools: a compressor and impact wrench, a single floor jack and 4 jack stands. I used FocusFanatics and YouTube for supplemental guidance. Only thing I had to have done professionally was the (multiple...arghhh) alignments. Because duh.

I'll post a few pictures here, there will certainly be more to come, as well as some videos potentially. If you guys have any requests (such as exhaust note, flyby vid, walk around, etc) I'll be happy to share media at my nearest convenience!

So without any further ado, I will just go ahead and post the master list of every single thing I've done to this car, and if you guys have any questions or comments, fire away! There is not a single thing on this car I haven't touched, so you can literally ask me ANYTHING you want about it. I will most likely have an answer.

Thanks for the read!

-Ben

------------------------------- 2009 2.5L-SWAPPED FOCUS SE COUPE ---------------------------------

Here's where I started, which was already pretty solid:
View attachment 307843

Before tint and engine swap:
View attachment 307841

Ready-to-drop-in 2.5L sitting pretty on the stand:
View attachment 307842

2.5L under the hood:
View attachment 307844

Before tint:
View attachment 307846

After tint :)
View attachment 307845

This is essentially the ultimate daily driver Focus. All the power you could ever want is on tap, powerful but smooth brakes to stop it all. Tight, yet comfy, and much more neutral/predictable handling thanks to Ford SVT suspension and stiffer Fiesta ST wheels with ultra-low-profile tires. High flow, throaty exhaust, yet still quiet enough on the highway for commuting, and NO rasp whatsoever. Thing hauls ass, both in the hills and on the highway, but is still tame enough to drive friends/significant other around in. The gas mileage actually improved noticeably after the swap too! Anyhow, I get that fluttery feeling every time I so much as think about driving it now, and that's what it's all about.

Quick Specs:
  • 2009 SE Coupe, Vista Blue (code G9) paint, Medium Stone interior.
  • 2.5L from 2014 Fusion, est. 188whp/210ish @crank. Numbers are from a dyne sheet for another Focus with nearly identical specs. Will update if I ever get it dynoed!
  • Engine has stock internals and cams. Full bolt-ons, listed below.
  • Stock 5-speed MTX-75 transmission.
  • Fiesta ST 17x7" wheels wrapped in 205/40R17 Michelin Pilot Sport tires, 15mm hub adapter/spacers (to clear brakes but also for stance, and really makes a difference in handling).
  • Ford SVT suspension/rear sway bar conversion (using Massive's OMNI-KIT).
  • Eagle Eye bi-xenon projector headlights with 5000K 55W HIDs, integrated LED fogs, full LED lighting conversion throughout the vehicle (interior and exterior).
  • 20% tint, 15% visor strip.
FULL Build Log, in very graphic detail:
  • New Steering wheel, Added Cruise Control and enabled SWC
    • Steering wheel upgrade (Black leather/buttons, pulled from junkyard in excellent condition) $19
    • Cruise control enabled at dealer via IDS: $56
    • FORSCAN ELM327 tool (off Amazon, used to enable steering wheel controls for radio): $20
    • New Motorcraft steering wheel buttons (dealer): $98

• Lighting Upgrades:
    • "Eagle Eyes" EBay Halo Projector Headlights: $268
    • EBay Blacked-out Integrated projector LED Fog Lights: $54
    • 5000K 55W Innovited HID kit from Amazon: $48

• Exterior Mods/Cosmetic Upgrades
    • DIY front splitter using garage door flashing from Lowe's: $10
    • Black Fiesta ST Wheels with ~75% tires (Craigslist): $440
      • New ACDelco TPMS Sensors - mine died, and needed different style for new wheels anyway: $120
      • TPMS sensor install (local Les Schwab): $32
    • Emblem Overlays + full exterior blackout (black Plasti-dip with Glossifier): $30
    • 20% tints + 15% visor strip (local shop): $275 installed
    • Replaced worn/rattling trunk hinges (junkyard): $29
    • Replaced shot trunk lifts (RockAuto): $15
    • Replaced dinged hood with near-perfect used one (junkyard): $48
    • Horn upgrade from crap single-tone to less-crappy Wolo dual-tone (AutoZone): $40
    • Rek-Gen MK3 Focus Mudflaps (from Amazon, required some finangling): $88

• Interior Mods/Cosmetic Upgrades:
    • Complete sound-deadening throughout cabin/trunk (using foam duct insulation from Lowe's): $100
    • WeatherTech Floor Mats: $60
    • Head-unit upgrade (work-in-progress): $11 so far
    • New Infinity dual-channel speakers all-around: $180
    • Rockville 12" subwoofer (bought off a friend, installed in trunk): $50
    • Integrated Bluetooth handsfree/streaming kit thru AUX port, hidden under dash (from Amazon): $40ish
    • APEMAN C770 Dashcam - front/rear, 128gb storage (from Amazon): $150
    • Custom rear dome light from MK3 Focus with LED (EBay): $15
    • Reinforced worn door/trunk gaskets for tighter seal and firmer slam (material from Lowe's): $16

• Performance - Handling/Driver Interface:
    • SVT Suspension Upgrade kit (Jegs): $300
    • Massive OMNI-KIT (to enable '00-'07 struts to fit '08-'11 cars): $88
    • New lower control arms all-around (RockAuto): $120
    • 2x Alignment at local Les Schwab Tire Center: $110 each
    • New front brakes - calipers, rotors and performance pads (RockAuto/Napa): $300ish
    • Steeda Short throw shifter with billet Aluminum knob: $140
    • AlexTheMachinist shift cable/shift base bushings: $83 shipped

• Performance - Drivetrain:
    • New Exedy OEM-spec Clutch with Hydraulics: $569
    • New Motorcraft CV axles, and new Cardone jack-shaft: $363
    • Tom’s Tune/SCT X4 tune (Focus-Power.com/@1turbofocus): $462
    • Drop-in ProTuningLabs performance panel filter: $27
    • Notched front grille in front of cold air intake scoop for lower intake temps
    • AEM UEGO 30-4110 wideband air/fuel sensor (Amazon): $173
    • New Motorcraft upstream O2 sensor: $60
    • New hubs/bearings/tie rod ends: $288

• 2.5L Swap:
    • Tools I had to buy/rent (beyond my existing set of sockets, torque wrench, impact gun, etc.... YMMV):
      • Massive cam timing kit for Duratec engines: $30
      • Engine stand (Craigslist): $40
      • Hydraulic engine hoist (Craigslist): $100
      • Engine stand bolts/washers (M10 - 1.5 x 90mm IIRC?): $8
      • Air tools/60gal compressor: borrowed from family member with a shop
    • Re-used from stock 2.0 setup:
      • Oil pan
      • Dipstick
      • Pickup tube
      • Most sensors/electronics
      • ECU
      • Air box with performance filter already installed
      • Valve cover
      • All accessories, e.g. power steering pump, A/C compressor, alternator, etc.
      • Crankshaft pulley
    • Acquired from junkyard/Craigslist:
      • 2.5L Duratec Motor from 2014 Fusion: $275
      • Timing cover from manual 2.3L 2006 Focus ST: $19
      • 70mm electronic throttle body from 2009 Taurus: $51
    • Parts bought online:
      • Massive Balance Shaft Delete Kit: $35
      • Massive VCT Delete kit: $30
      • New Motorcraft crankshaft bolt (single-use/TTY): $15
      • New ACDelco water pump (just do it while the engine's out guys): $35
      • 4x Motorcraft SP411 spark plugs - correct reach, platinum, 1 step colder: $12
      • FSWERKS Stealth exhaust: $480
      • EBay OBX 4-1 stainless steel-alloy header: $349
      • Titanium header wrap with ties (EBay): $18
      • New EGR gasket: $1
      • Replaced my leaking P/S reservoir cap: $9
      • Coolant burp housing gasket: $3
      • New rear main seal/all lower seals (kit): $54
      • New 180º thermostat/housing assembly with gasket: $17
      • New 2.0/2.3 crank position sensor with alignment tool: $15
      • New 2.5L throttle body gasket: $1
      • New Motorcraft FL910S oil filter: $4
      • Intake manifold gasket kit: $6
      • Had a family mechanic friend weld in my AEM wideband bung to the header, wrap the header, and custom-fab an internally-fluted adapter for the 70mm throttle body to fit onto the 2.5L intake manifold: $262
      • Brake fluid (need a ton for full brake flush and clutch bleed procedure): $16
      • Motorcraft New Yellow coolant concentrate - 1 U.S. Gallon: $28
      • 90" Continental 4060900 drive belt - someone on FF said to use a 91" belt and IT IS TOO BIG, it will slip and fits loosely at best. Get the Conti 90" one. You're welcome :)
At the end of it all, I recognize that this was a ton of money and work to put into a $4,000 Ford Focus hooptie. But to me it was worth it regardless. This car is a passion of mine, it was fun doing all the work to it and I'm glad to have had both the experience as well as the opportunity to do this in the first place, both logistically and financially (well, financially, I definitely shouldn't have...but that's how this works ;) ). Now I have a sweet daily driver, and lots of bragging rights. I'm planning to drive it for the next 4+ years, hopefully without issues! I'll also definitely be checking into the local car scene, there are some meets I've been wanting to check out. Thanks for reading, and again hit me up with any feedback!

Peace,

-Ben
Finally finished the mountain of work I had planned for this car, so I figured I'd start an official thread to document everything. I got this car about two and a half years ago and started off by polishing it up and restoring it to mint factory condition. Then I started with some tasteful mods and upgrades, such as an upgraded steering wheel, enabling cruise control and radio buttons, adding a dome light and trunk release button in the interior, etc...

Then I got into the mechanical side of things, and it quickly escalated out of control.

As of right now, I have sucessfully swapped in a 2.5 from a 2014 Fusion with 92xxx mi on it. This replaced my old 2.0 with 158xxx on it. I'm working on getting it tuned, but even driving gently on the stock 2.0 tune it is unbelievably quick compared to how it used to be, and it runs quite well. All work was done in my garage with my novice mechanical skills, and just basic tools: a compressor and impact wrench, a single floor jack and 4 jack stands. I used FocusFanatics and YouTube for supplemental guidance. Only thing I had to have done professionally was the (multiple...arghhh) alignments. Because duh.

I'll post a few pictures here, there will certainly be more to come, as well as some videos potentially. If you guys have any requests (such as exhaust note, flyby vid, walk around, etc) I'll be happy to share media at my nearest convenience!

So without any further ado, I will just go ahead and post the master list of every single thing I've done to this car, and if you guys have any questions or comments, fire away! There is not a single thing on this car I haven't touched, so you can literally ask me ANYTHING you want about it. I will most likely have an answer.

Thanks for the read!

-Ben

------------------------------- 2009 2.5L-SWAPPED FOCUS SE COUPE ---------------------------------

View attachment 307843

View attachment 307841

View attachment 307842

2.5L under the hood:
View attachment 307844

Before tint:
View attachment 307846

View attachment 307845

This is essentially the ultimate daily driver Focus. All the power you could ever want is on tap, powerful but smooth brakes to stop it all. Tight, yet comfy, and much more neutral/predictable handling thanks to Ford SVT suspension and stiffer Fiesta ST wheels with ultra-low-profile tires. High flow, throaty exhaust, yet still quiet enough on the highway for commuting, and NO rasp whatsoever. Thing hauls ass, both in the hills and on the highway, but is still tame enough to drive friends/significant other around in. The gas mileage actually improved noticeably after the swap too! Anyhow, I get that fluttery feeling every time I so much as think about driving it now, and that's what it's all about.

Quick Specs:
  • 2.5L from 2014 Fusion, est. 188whp/210ish @crank. Numbers are from a dyne sheet for another Focus with nearly identical specs. Will update if I ever get it dynoed!
  • Fiesta ST 17x7" wheels wrapped in 205/40R17 Michelin Pilot Sport tires, 15mm hub adapter/spacers (to clear brakes but also for stance, and really makes a difference in handling).
  • Eagle Eye bi-xenon projector headlights with 5000K 55W HIDs, integrated LED fogs, full LED lighting conversion throughout the vehicle (interior and exterior).
    • Steering wheel upgrade (Black leather/buttons, pulled from junkyard in excellent condition) $19
    • FORSCAN ELM327 tool (off Amazon, used to enable steering wheel controls for radio): $20

• Lighting Upgrades:

• New ACDelco TPMS Sensors - mine died, and needed different style for new wheels anyway: $120
    • Emblem Overlays + full exterior blackout (black Plasti-dip with Glossifier): $30
    • Horn upgrade from crap single-tone to less-crappy Wolo dual-tone (AutoZone): $40

• Complete sound-deadening throughout cabin/trunk (using foam duct insulation from Lowe's): $100
    • Integrated Bluetooth handsfree/streaming kit thru AUX port, hidden under dash (from Amazon): $40ish
    • Reinforced worn door/trunk gaskets for tighter seal and firmer slam (material from Lowe's): $16

• New front brakes - calipers, rotors and performance pads (RockAuto/Napa): $300ish

• 2.5L Swap:
    • Tools I had to buy/rent (beyond my existing set of sockets, torque wrench, impact gun, etc.... YMMV):
      • Oil pan
      • Dipstick
      • Pickup tube
      • ECU
      • Valve cover
      • Crankshaft pulley
    • Parts bought online:
      • Had a family mechanic friend weld in my AEM wideband bung to the header, wrap the header, and custom-fab an internally-fluted adapter for the 70mm throttle body to fit onto the 2.5L intake manifold: $262
      • 90" Continental 4060900 drive belt - someone on FF said to use a 91" belt and IT IS TOO BIG, it will slip and fits loosely at best. Get the Conti 90" one. You're welcome :)
At the end of it all, I recognize that this was a ton of money and work to put into a $4,000 Ford Focus hooptie. But to me it was worth it regardless. This car is a passion of mine, it was fun doing all the work to it and I'm glad to have had both the experience as well as the opportunity to do this in the first place, both logistically and financially (well, financially, I definitely shouldn't have...but that's how this works ;) ). Now I have a sweet daily driver, and lots of bragging rights. I'm planning to drive it for the next 4+ years, hopefully without issues! I'll also definitely be checking into the local car scene, there are some meets I've been wanting to check out. Thanks for reading, and again hit me up with any feedback!

Peace,

-Ben
Great job. I'm surprised you didn't source any ST parts. Time wise, how long where you at it?

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Great job. I'm surprised you didn't source any ST parts. Time wise, how long where you at it?
Thank you! I actually did source the timing cover off of a junked 2004 ST. Other than that I have an SVT suspension package installed, and FiST wheels. Kind of a mishmash. I think I could get away with putting the SVT badge on the rear since it has the same handling and wayyyyy more power though!

I spent 28 days on it, estimated at just shy of 100 hours of off-and-on work time when I could. I had a time constraint so I had to work fast, but got 'er done! Working on the tune now, and man it sure rips.

Ben

·
Registered
77 Posts

Thanks for the read!

-Ben

View attachment 307843

View attachment 307841

View attachment 307842

2.5L under the hood:
View attachment 307844

Before tint:
View attachment 307846

View attachment 307845

Quick Specs:

• Lighting Upgrades:

• 2.5L Swap:
      • Oil pan
      • Dipstick
      • Pickup tube
      • ECU
      • Valve cover
      • Crankshaft pulley
    • Parts bought online:

Peace,

-Ben
Great job! Thanks for listing all the details!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Excellent. Both write up and build.
I love it. That is best of both worlds to me in that model range, the blue and coupe.

My question. How long have you owned the car? All the mods you listed, under hood, interior, and exterior, you didn't do in just 28 days.?
If all mods done over time/years, 2.5 swap excluded, it sounds like a logical, personalized build. Nothing excessive, but tasteful upgrades that are useful.

Jealous BTW.

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Great job! Thanks for listing all the details!
Thanks!

Excellent. Both write up and build.
I love it. That is best of both worlds to me in that model range, the blue and coupe.

My question. How long have you owned the car? All the mods you listed, under hood, interior, and exterior, you didn't do in just 28 days.?
If all mods done over time/years, 2.5 swap excluded, it sounds like a logical, personalized build. Nothing excessive, but tasteful upgrades that are useful.

Jealous BTW.
I’ve had the car for two and a half years now. Mods were over time, but the 2.5 swap and all accompanying mechanical work was within the last month and definitely excessive haha. I had a unique “planets are aligned” moment where I found a cheap motor, had the money to do it (although I shouldn’t have), had the space and could get the tools, and most importantly had the time to get it done (as a student who had must finished a good internship and was waiting for fall term to begin). Insane, expensive and excessive, yes, but i still made sure i have a good chunk of change put away. Now that it's done i regret nothing. This car is absolutely perfect, all of my daydreams of "haha what if i did that to my focus...?" have come true! Literally every single one! There isn't a thing I would change. Now I just want to enjoy driving it without any issues, which is why i stayed NA. But for just over $6k i turned my beater Focus into a super sleeper that will hang with my buddies' WRX and ST in the back roads, and outrun a 3-series from a dig. Few can say that!

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just think once it's tuned...
Almost there.... it freaking rips! It will tug you out of a corner in 3rd at 2500RPM. The amount of low end torque this engine makes is surprising. 2nd gear on the same corner and you're ripping the tires loose at the touch of the throttle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you have any driving videos? Also interested in your before and after MPG numbers, since you said you saw an increase.
I love parts-bin swaps like this. Would love to do it to mine, but my Focus is the only non-project car, lol.

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Do you have any driving videos? Also interested in your before and after MPG numbers, since you said you saw an increase.
I love parts-bin swaps like this. Would love to do it to mine, but my Focus is the only non-project car, lol.
I see you're into Miatas...you know this is the most popular NC engine swap right? The 2.5L is externally identical to the MZR 2.0 (which is the Duratec 2.0 found in the 2005+ Focus)!

Here's a 0-60 run I got before I was tuned, and a driving around clip (sorry about the excessive license plate blur, thank YouTube for that lol).

Before the swap, with the 2.0 I would get 26 city/33hwy MPG, averaging about 30 with mixed driving. Highway MPG is at 75mph cruise, which is 3150RPM in 5th.

With the 2.5L, I get 29 city/40hwy MPG, averaging about 36 with combined driving! The 40 hwy MPG figure is at my usual 75mph cruise (3150rpm, same as above). But if I'm nice to it and cruise at 65mph it averages 45.3!! I should add that these figures aren't taken right after resetting the computer, they are after 50+ mi of cruising at speed.

I couldn't believe it at first, but I think it's because of two factors: 1) my car is very light at 2,588lb, and 2) the 2.5 makes most of its torque between 2500RPM and 3500RPM, which is right in the sweet spot for highway driving. I can literally pass people in 5th if I want, but if I downshift to 4th, it will propel me from 65 to 90 in a matter of seconds. It is a fantastic engine for a mix of daily and aggressive driving. I'm very excited for my first track day.

Also, I noticed that the mileage was better even immediately after I swapped but was still running the stock 2.0 tune, but only after tuning with Tom (@1turbofocus from Focus-Power) did I see these major gains. I also noticed 3-5 more MPG across the board when I had Tom's tune on the stock 2.0. Dude knows these engines, and knows what he's doing for sure.

Reactions: 1turbofocus

·
Registered
19 Posts
You know, I've been following the NC 2.5 swap for a while, but it never occurred to me that we're dealing with the same two motors here in the Focus world... No wonder it's a great swap for both platforms, lol.

Those are seriously impressive mileage numbers! Talk about the best of both worlds - great build. Car must be a blast now - post up your track video when you make it out!

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You know, I've been following the NC 2.5 swap for a while, but it never occurred to me that we're dealing with the same two motors here in the Focus world... No wonder it's a great swap for both platforms, lol.

Those are seriously impressive mileage numbers! Talk about the best of both worlds - great build. Car must be a blast now - post up your track video when you make it out!
100% will do! Gotta wait until next season where I can hopefully get trained and certified at Portland International Raceway, then we're in business ;)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Wow that's crazy good gas mileage I have a 2011 Mazda 3 with the 2.5 definitely don't get that.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Wow that's crazy good gas mileage I have a 2011 Mazda 3 with the 2.5 definitely don't get that.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Yeah my buddy has a Mazda3 2.5 as well, I showed him a picture of my mileage and he was mindblown haha. He said he gets like 27 in his 3. But his curb weight is 3200ish lb, compared to my 2588, I think that's the linchpin for MPG. Plus he is on the OEM tune as there isn't much out there for the Mazdas.

·
Registered
'09 Coupe 2.5L swap
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
How is the engine vibration with the BS delete kit?
I don’t have any metric of comparison, as I went from a 2.0 (which never had a BS) to this 2.5 after deleting its BS. Feels identical to the 2.0 though.

Overall as a daily driven car it is pretty smooth, I have a newer Motorcraft passenger side engine mount and driver side upper transmission (hanging) mount, and then a Massive Street 70A polyurethane lower (torque strut/roll restrictor/dogbone) mount. With this setup there is some NVH between idle and 2000rpm, especially with the air conditioning on. Anywhere over 2 Grand and it is smooth as silk. The low-rpm vibration from the poly lower mount takes some getting used-to, but it is 100% worth the trade-off for the tightness it provides in the drivetrain feel.

To answer your question, I don’t think you’ll miss your balance shaft, I would go ahead and delete it while you can.

cheers

ben

21 - 40 of 73 Posts