Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to to swap a Zetec ZX3 motor with a Duratec 2.5LV6 and wanted to know where to buy one. Is there any info I should know about tricking out the Duratec? Where is the best place to buy Duratec parts cheapest? Has anyone done this swap? Are all the FOrd O2 Censors ect.. the same on the compact models? I have seen a 2.5L swapped at zx3tuning.com and my post in duratec tuning, a person said I should go ahead with the 3 liter if I'm gona do the 2.5 liter. Is the 3 liter the same size as the 2.5 liter? I mean fitting in the engine bay. What are the real differences??? Which engine has the greater potential for aftermarket parts? What car can I get the 3 liter out of? I was going to get the 2.5 liter out of a SVT Contour. I know its alot of questions but I need any and all info so that I can do this swap right. Will the 3 liter hook up to the focus axle like the 2.5 will? I could use any help me and it would be greatly appreciated.

FuriousFocuz

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
you uh trying to put a contour engine in a focus? i've never heard of such an idea. If they can fit v8's in the engine bay, a v6 should not be out of reach. As far as duratech parts for this engine, this is not the place to look for them. This forum is for the 2.3l Duratech engine, the one that comes stock in Foci in certain areas. This forum does NOT cover the V6 engine.. I dont mean to criticize you but if u don't know the difference between a 2.5l and a 3l and what they actually do to make it a 3l, i don't think you should be swapping motors. besides the v6 is designed for a different ecu, i am sure u might run into problems.

I don't know if this helps but i really don't think its worth all the work. its not a direct replacement. but if u have the money, sky's the limit

·
Registered
522 Posts
There was an issue in...some...mag...a while back that featured a yellow ZX3 that had a SVT Contour engine stuffed in there. I never heard of a SVT Contour but thats what it said in the mag. It might have been Import Tuner or Max Power maybe. Contact those mags or some others (fast fords...) and see if they can locate the mag for you...might have some info you could use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why would you want to put a V6 in a Focus? I mean you will definately gain some power (provided transformation will work out), but you will enevitably ruin the handling. Big V6 hanging in front of the wheels is a receipe for a terminal understeer and this is a no-no. Big no-no. Besides you really don't want massive torque steer, which will also come with that 2.5L powerplant.

If you want to add some power I would recomend some cheaper and less intrusive measures. You can check out the sticky regarding performance products available now and the ones in developement.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yeah, zx3tuning.com has a v6 2.5l Focus, many of us Vancouver guys were lucky enough to drive it, and aparantly it's a lot faster now that it's lost 300lbs of audio equiptment. And I think the 3.0l and 2.5l question is very legitimate. :) I mean what's the difference in size/weight of the 1.4l Zetec and the 1.6,1.8 and 2.0l? You do need a new ECU, and I'm pretty sure the bell housing for the tranny is different, even though it's still a MTX75. I say email zx3 tuning and ask them about what all goes into a 2.5l Duratec swap, or better yet, buy his car, I'm pretty sure it's still for sale.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
ive heard many times that this swap is very possible and is a great improvement. the oversteer for the focus is not going to be much worse than that of a contour due to the similar size. those of you who are talkin down on this idea, just let this guy have fun with his car, heah afterall he will be able to spank the hell outa you when hes done [:)] (and me too for that matter). i am not sure but i think that the engine might even bolt in. i have put a little thought into this too. as for where you can find one try searching ebay and google for engine sales. ill get back to you on this. im all for it man. DO IT!
( and i have no clue what simply domestic is goin on about, this is a focus website so anything focus goes not just zetecs and duratecs)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Understeer or oversteer has nothing to do with weight or size per se but rather with weight distribution and suspension geometry. More weight in the front of the vehicle can produce understeer if the suspension allows the weight transfer to pin the car in sharp corners producing the classic rearend swap. Oversteer occures when the suspension allows the weight transfer to push the front end out from the center of gravity under cornering loads. Having driven a Contour for many years, I can tell you that the handling characteristics are in no way related to a Focus in any configuration. The Contour squats and pushes under breaking and cornering and has a tendecy for understeer. The focus in the 2.3 ltr configuration actually feels neutral and well balanced with a hint of oversteer. Just my humble opinion and not very scientific at that. [:)]

·
Registered
831 Posts
No the 3.0 l has different heads

·
Registered
156 Posts
YEs the heads are different and there are a number of different heads used on the 2.5 which have been used in Fords, Jaguars and Mazdas and there are a number of different heads used on 3.0s as well. For example the Tribute/MPV get 200hp and the Mazda6 gets 220 hp with the same Ford 3.0 block. I have heard that you can interchange some 2.5 and 3.0 heads. SO, yes 2.5 and 3.0's have different heads, but the 3.0 block is a stroked 2.5.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts