Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends
I have 2 focus road race only cars and will soon buy a third, my plan is to 2.5 swap each of them. Our 06 ST is built and doing fine but a 2.5 swap is planned. 05 ZX3 has just started the build process. Third car will also be a ZX3.

first question I'm thinking for a few extra $ I can get a low miles 2.5 fusion engine 13+ , Any down sides to the 13+ 2.5 ?

Second If I find one with a manual trans will that just bolt right in ? use same axles ?

Thanks , and thanks for all of the other information I have gained from this forum !

Goals for engine , flat Tq curve to red line.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would just stick with the 2010-2012 2.5's they nearly drop in and the duratec mtx-75 bolts right up. Unless you like suffering and woe. I see no advantage to running the later motors

·
Registered
152 Posts
I forget..what changed on the 2013 + engines?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The advantage I’m looking for is just a low mileage engine. Are the differences just in the VVT ? Good chance I’m doing stage 2 cams , so with that in mind is the 2013+ suffering and woe.?

Thanks for the help !

·
Registered
384 Posts
Honestly I have no idea if and what the changes are, but sub 100k miles motors are plentiful for 2010 -2012. I think they may have dual vct? We all know the early 2.5 drop right in, so there is that

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local market seems to value the older engines ? At any rate I have access to 1 2014 engine with a broken timing cover for less than $300.

So as far as we know the 2013+ bolts in the same as a 2012 , but has a slightly different VVT ?

As for the 6 speed looks like that ended in 2012 . I have no idea what that would take to swap into a 1.5 gen Focus, but with the 5 speed being easy I’ll just go that direction and try to find a couple of 4.06 and short 5ths.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My local market seems to value the older engines ? At any rate I have access to 1 2014 engine with a broken timing cover for less than $300.

So as far as we know the 2013+ bolts in the same as a 2012 , but has a slightly different VVT ?

As for the 6 speed looks like that ended in 2012 . I have no idea what that would take to swap into a 1.5 gen Focus, but with the 5 speed being easy I’ll just go that direction and try to find a couple of 4.06 and short 5ths.
In the NC miata community, literally all of the engines are pretty much plug and play, less the VVT pigtail. And since you are deleting it, it shouldn't be of any concern.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Curious as to what the changes if any are. I have two 2.5, my lightly built one, and a bone stock unit on an engine stand. My tuner has sourced 2.5 vvt performance cams, so that will be happening sooner then later. I have crower stg 2's and bnib cam gears , if you are looking to buy them anyways.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
384 Posts
With switching in a fusion motor, would I need the ecu form that car and how would state inspections work?
If you already have a duratec, your ecu will work. If you do a clean install they wouldn't be able to tell any difference. The block is identical except its one inche taller than a 2.0 dtec Of course Tom will chime in and say you need a new tune.

·
FF Affiliate
30,148 Posts
I currently have a ‘07 2.3 ST, will my current (stock) manifold-cat volt right up to the 2.5?
Thanks for the help
You need to use the 2.5 Intake or you will loose a ton of performance

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts