Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What mufflers should I have to get a very quiet exhaust system with 2.5" tubbing??
My car has the OBX header with stock exhaust (no cat) and I'm building a new exhaust with two Magnaflow 2.5" mufflers, one 10436 (4" x 22") and one 14616 (6" x 20"). Do you think it will be a quiet exhaust or a very loud exhaust?? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Without looking the magnaflow #'s up, I'd say yeah, that would really help to calm the noise down. I'd go for 2 of thou's 14616's 6''x20'' right after the flex & use the 10436 in the stock location. You are using a tune, huh?

·
Registered
621 Posts
ive got a muffler 14" resonator and a HFC. id imagine if i replace the resonator with a cat it would be really quiet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without looking the magnaflow #'s up, I'd say yeah, that would really help to calm the noise down. I'd go for 2 of thou's 14616's 6''x20'' right after the flex & use the 10436 in the stock location. You are using a tune, huh?
I think the 10436 wont fit on the stock location, it's too long. This will be right after the flex, on the straight. The 6x20 will be at the stock location.

Yes, I'm using SCT. The car has OBX header 4x1, SWR Cams (280 degree x .380 lift) and K&N inbox filter.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The 6" x 20" won't fit in the stock muffler location. 6" x 14" will though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The 6" x 20" won't fit in the stock muffler location. 6" x 20" will though.
[scratch]uhhhhhhmmm.... may want to check this one over...maybe[scratch]

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
6x20 fits in the center i have a 26" body for my turbo set up. but two 14" vibrants or maganflows will be quite even with headers and no cat. the 4x22 wont fit in the back left side.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The exhaust that I have now is FWerk's header/ stealth muffler & magnaflow 12646= 6'' diameter same as stealth & 18'' body lenght right after the stealth one & a the rest of the Borla exhaust. I know a mess of mixed manufactors, but it work's & sounds great= far from rice here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, got them installed last week, did some videos.

at my garage, the sound is not good

on-board at our local drag strip

The magnaflow 10436 4"x22" is on the straight right after the flex and the 14616 on the stock location, next to rear suspension. The 14616 body is 6"x14", not 6"x20" as I said. But I think it's too loud yet, maybe I will throw another 14616 on the back.
Current setup is OBX header, 2.5" exhaust, SWR cams (280/280 9.5/9.5), K&N airfilter and SCT flashed ecu. It has SVT suspension and 16" wheels with 205/50 Hankook R-S2 tires.
I'm planning to get a Duratec 2.5 liter L4 or a Ranger 2.3 engine.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Awesome> my car sounded similar to that= a little deeper thou, maybe being a 23 instead of your 20. I'd add a another muffler too. Is that your Serpent Inpact 1:10 scale? I use to race a Serpent excell & BMT 933 austin lite w/ novi-rossi's.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Holey thread resurrection Batman!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Someone brought it back right as I am over here debating redoing my exhaust. I want to tone it down more but have mufflers under it everywhere one can be shoved lol. hmmmmm

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Someone brought it back right as I am over here debating redoing my exhaust. I want to tone it down more but have mufflers under it everywhere one can be shoved lol. hmmmmm
The only thing you can change is the diameter of them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I like this thread. I've been trying to understand the myriad options about exhausts. From custom to high end to trubendz to eBay.

I have a d23 with cai and I'm considering an exhaust system under the guise that there are gains without impacting the sound quality (closer to stock in dB).

And as such, isn't there something such as too many mufflers? Like 2 or more may reduce any gains etc?

(Btw posting on ff is a blast from the past, I've been quiet for a while.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nice swap. I'd get some 2.25" or 2.5" pipes on that ZX3. Power gains to dollar aren't anything as big as moving up from a SPI-2.3 duratec but it will breathe better. I like putting a resonator on to keep the drone down but I drive mine erry day and generally its closer to the stock DB range but it sounds better. A weekend/nice day toy I'd go muffler only maybe even straight pipes depending on what kind of toy it is. Company wise, I'd go custom at shop before ebay as a good exhaust shop will be at or less than your typical cat-back price. With that in mind I usually just order something pre-built and coated in hopes of it lasting and looking nice enough. I'm a big fan of FSwerks but I've had magna flow too and borla sounds great. I'm sure there are a few more out there, but typically I look to see what the focus shops carry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts