Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to the autoshow this past weekend and looked at the Ford Escape. It's 4 cyl is a 2.5. The block seems to have the same deminsions and layout with exaust and intake. Just wondering if it would fit.

If it does wouldn't it be worth doing a 2.5 rather then the 2.3.

I know this is not the engine swap forum but this is just a basic overall question.

Thanks.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Short answer, Yes. It'll fit. If the 3.0 from an Contour SVT will, I'm sure the 2.5 will. And, IMHO going from a 2.0 to a 2.5 would fell alot better than spending the same $$$ to go 2.3...

But I have an SPI, so what do I know....?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Contour SVT isnt a 3.0L. Its a 2.5L

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Contour SVT isnt a 3.0L. Its a 2.5L

Not that I know better, because I'm sure I don't but wasn't there a rather legthy thread on Here about a 3.0l SVTC swap that never got quite finished? I honestly thought That was a 3.0l. In any case, what the OP wants to do is possible, no?

·
Registered
187 Posts
According to Wikipedia, the Duratec 25 is identical to the Mazda MZR 2.5L and an evolution of the Duratec 23. From what I gather, Ford just increased the bore and stroke. Any other website I've found seems to back this up. So I would say yes it will fit. It would be awsome, [email protected] and [email protected]

Wikipedia Duratec link (lots of good info):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

The CSVT is a 2.5L stock, but many people swap the 3.0L from the Taurus/Sable. I believe they swap the block and keep the head and what not.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Anything is possible for a swap like this, its just a matter of $$. The Contour SVT was a 2.5. I dont know what thread that you saw that in, but it may have been the "SHO" 3.0L swap that you may have seen.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Anything is possible for a swap like this, its just a matter of $$. The Contour SVT was a 2.5. I dont know what thread that you saw that in, but it may have been the "SHO" 3.0L swap that you may have seen.
It definitly was not a SHO engine; that was made by Yamaha. A lot of people do 3.0L Duratec swaps in the CSVT. Here is a good thread about it: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=505477#post505477

And to keep from thread jacking, the Duratec 25 would probably be cheaper to swap and would leave room for more mods that wouldn't fit with the CSVT V6. The duratec 25 has 171hp stock. Doing some bolt ons would put you in the CSVT's 190-200hp territory. Just my $0.02. I would love to see this swap done.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
lets put it this way... if a 4.6L can fit. im sure a 2.5L can fit.

but like mike said... if you got the cash, throw it down and do it.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
or you could pay Tom to bore and stroke a 2.3L to 2.5/2.6L and have a badass engine...but you wouldn't have the VVT

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
i drove a hybrid Escape, and i was amazed by the power that it had for the small suv size and when the eleitrc motor turned on when i was driving are ound a parking lot that had to be the coolest thing ever cause you couldnt even hear it, it was like rolling around with the motor off.lol

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Does anyone know the bore and stroke numbers for the new 2.5? Is it the same block as the 2.3 or have they increased deck height again? I wonder if it would like to rev in an all motor build with 11.6:1 compression and stage 3 crowers?

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
thanks!
89mm x 100mm

so .5mm increase in bore and 6mm increase in stroke. Im guessing that it wouldnt be too happy revving to 7500-7800? Torque curve would be fat with the cossie mani though...

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's actually a 1.5mm increase in bore and 6.0mm increase in stroke over the Duratec 23.

Duratec 23 - Bore:87.5mm, Stroke:94.0mm
Duratec 25 - Bore:89.0mm, Stroke:100.0mm

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lets put it this way... if a 4.6L can fit. im sure a 2.5L can fit.

but like mike said... if you got the cash, throw it down and do it.
I know you can shoe horn a v8. But the way I see it, is if you can find a wrecked one(Escape) in the future you can buy the engine with the harness and ECU for much less then a turbo kit or modifing the internals. This way you get power and maintain the reliability you need with a dailly driver.
Please realize that I'm looking at this as a owner of a 2.0. A 2.3 owner may not see as much benefit as i do.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Like I've said before. We had one at my work about two years ago, but came in mated with a hybrid trans. The engines looked almost identical (minor sensor differences and electric TB if I can remember correctly) to the 2.3L, which we also have a few of. But.... the overall size of the engine was bigger, but not by too much. I think it will fit with minor issues. The only thing I was unable to tell was whether the bellhousing was the same.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
I know you can shoe horn a v8. But the way I see it, is if you can find a wrecked one(Escape) in the future you can buy the engine with the harness and ECU for much less then a turbo kit or modifing the internals. This way you get power and maintain the reliability you need with a dailly driver.
Please realize that I'm looking at this as a owner of a 2.0. A 2.3 owner may not see as much benefit as i do.
i know what you mean, trust me, im looking at a different engine to produce more DD friendly power.

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
i need to keep an eye on this thread! an 200hp NA would be lots more fun than a 200hp boosted zetec

1 - 20 of 31 Posts