Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've tried finding a definite answer but unable to between here and FJ. how hard would it be to swap in the engine and tranny from a Volvo T5 C30 into a Focus? Which platform would receive the swap better? A SVT Or possibly a 05-07 Hatch? Maybe an ST? before u guys starting coming with the whole just Turbo an SVT or just get a D23 n turbo it, please that's not what I asked. I'm trying to get information not start brawls. Thanks guys

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
you'd probably need all wiring and electronics from the Volvo, or run a standalone for engine management. The mounts are probably close, but will most likely need some sort of fab to work. The C1 chassis cars are a little wider than the c170's, so that engine/ tranny combo may not fit. The first step would be to go to a junkyard or a nice dealer and start taking measurements.

starting with a non-svt would ruffle less feathers, but either would probably be the same because they have the same engine compartment and youd most likely be swapping all the electrics over anyway

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do u mean by ruffle less feathers?

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
I had photos of someone swapping an 05 Euro ST 5 cyl into a ST170 somewhere.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It would probably be easier, cheaper, and more powerful to find a Contour SVT and swap in a modified 3.0 or 3.5 V6 than to fit an inline 5. The only bonus is that you might have more luck finding cams or internal mods for the 5 cy than for the 6's. All of the 6 work would definitely be custom, but both of those are under-exploited from the factory. The European market might have something for the 5 cyl, but whether it would really be cheaper is up in the air.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he means that you wouldnt waste a sacred SVT...thats all.

I personally would go with a SVT becasue of the added FUN factor [race]

please keep us updated and good luck
I completely understand cus to me nothing as sexy as a SVT EAP Sonic Vlue or Comp Orange with a Volvo T5 laying down 227hp at least

It would probably be easier, cheaper, and more powerful to find a Contour SVT and swap in a modified 3.0 or 3.5 V6 than to fit an inline 5. The only bonus is that you might have more luck finding cams or internal mods for the 5 cy than for the 6's. All of the 6 work would definitely be custom, but both of those are under-exploited from the factory. The European market might have something for the 5 cyl, but whether it would really be cheaper is up in the air.
I'm sorry brother but I don't like the 3.0 or larger in a Focus except the RS8 RWD conversion. I like the T5 idea cus it's already turboed and it's FWD but has the AWD option if I ever want to try that route it's possible.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you'd probably need all wiring and electronics from the Volvo, or run a standalone for engine management. The mounts are probably close, but will most likely need some sort of fab to work. The C1 chassis cars are a little wider than the c170's, so that engine/ tranny combo may not fit. The first step would be to go to a junkyard or a nice dealer and start taking measurements.

starting with a non-svt would ruffle less feathers, but either would probably be the same because they have the same engine compartment and youd most likely be swapping all the electrics over anyway
Now noob question. Where and what do I begin with and need to measure?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I'm confused alittle on the wire harness piece. Can I splice the C30/S40 harness to work with a SVT harness? Anyone have any diagrams that show mounting locations for a SVT and for a C30/ST225/S40? Want to get info straight first

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
^^ the best way to do it is just figure it out. Pick what you're going to use and stick with it.

no one has done it that I'm aware of (maybe the st170 but I haven't seen it) so just get to work and put it together. Don't waste your time trying to research every little thing like I did. (those of you wondering what I mean... I've really dumped almost anything anyone has done and am just going to figure it all out and make it work my own way)

as far as splicing the harness? if you're good or have someone good with that then I'm sure it's no problem. If you don't know, it will never happen. And just remember that nothing is the same no matter how similar they seem.

I just wanted to put my honest input on this... I've wasted countless hours getting nowhere and would rather not have someone else go through that too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ the best way to do it is just figure it out. Pick what you're going to use and stick with it.

no one has done it that I'm aware of (maybe the st170 but I haven't seen it) so just get to work and put it together. Don't waste your time trying to research every little thing like I did. (those of you wondering what I mean... I've really dumped almost anything anyone has done and am just going to figure it all out and make it work my own way)

as far as splicing the harness? if you're good or have someone good with that then I'm sure it's no problem. If you don't know, it will never happen. And just remember that nothing is the same no matter how similar they seem.

I just wanted to put my honest input on this... I've wasted countless hours getting nowhere and would rather not have someone else go through that too.
Very true words and honestly I know UR probably right. I'm a very theoretical person so in theory it should all work but anyone who has ever done mods KNOWS nothing goes according to plan. Was just hoping for the knowledge is all lol. Oh well finish up this deployment and gunna dive right in.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know where to find the wiring diagram for a SVT? I must be blind cus I'm not seeing it when I search

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
First thing you need to find out is how wide the T5 engine and transmission are. Second thing is you need to figure out how the ecu communicates with all the engine components. I'm 99% positive the volvo does not use the same method as an svt focus. Your best bet is to use the svt body wireharness with a stand alone engine management system like the AEM EMS.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Along with the engine and transmission widths, your going to want to look at the axles (length of each section) and # of splines. You may have to "build yours own" axles and mix and match hubs (which may be complicated by ball joint size and taper).

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I've been watching for someone to try this out. The new RS uses a turbo Volvo 2.5 and I've been thinking about how cool it would be to wedge one into the first gen. You have to make a thread with plenty of pictures if you go through with it.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
I've been watching for someone to try this out. The new RS uses a turbo Volvo 2.5 and I've been thinking about how cool it would be to wedge one into the first gen. You have to make a thread with plenty of pictures if you go through with it.
Correction, OLD RS, oh and the OLD ST did too...

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Production ended a while ago, 2012 Foci are already on lots...

P.S. That link is 15 months old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts