Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people would be interested in a Helix Power Tower for the 2.3L Duratec? The reason I'm asking is because myself and a friend who owns a 2004 Roush are going to Smokey Lane Street Performance here in Little Rock, AR to have prototypes made for our Foci. We're trying to compile a list of interested people/buyers to keep cost down and encourage more parts for the two-three. By the way, there will be testing on this part, both short term and long term. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More or less, but instead of just being a smooth bore spacer, it creates air breakup/turbulence for a better air fuel mixture. It's not a part that will give you gobs of power by itself but is like an aftermarket throttle body or intake, it works well with other parts.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
FocusTuner27 said:
More or less, but instead of just being a smooth bore spacer, it creates air breakup/turbulence for a better air fuel mixture. It's not a part that will give you gobs of power by itself but is like an aftermarket throttle body or intake, it works well with other parts.
Sounds like a simple restriction in the intake system. Turbonator already does this.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
You can look up pics for yourself on Summit's website, of course there's not one in there for the Focus, but you can see what one looks like for other vehicles. It's basically a TB spacer with grooves like threads cut in the side of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What we're hoping for is the "scavenging" effect. We're hoping that it will have the same effect as scuffing/rough boring intake ports, causing incoming air to become turbulent which will actually increase air intake. This is also why testing will be involved. We're not going to just make a part and say it works. If we see gains, then that would be great. If we see nothing then the idea will be scrapped. At this point, we're just trying to find out if anyone would be interested.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...Don't have a dura, but a suggestion... try to incorporate a port opening in the spacer for methanol or other spray jets, fuel, gauges...etc...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
umm i hate to sadden anyones days, but these don't do anything on port fuel injected cars, as well as direct injection cars.

sure they may have worked on throtle body injection cars and carburated cars, and they worked well, becuase they were able to swirl the mixture, all you are doing is making air go in circles... just like a tornado
can i have one for free please, i need a new coaster :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^^^^^^^^If you're going to do something like that, might I suggest using it as a paper weight rather than a coaster? Seeing as how if you use it as a coaster, the moisture from the bottom of your glass/bottle/can, or whatever else, would simply drip through the port opening and end up on your table anyway, thus defeating the purpose of a coaster. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
FocusTuner27 said:
^^^^^^^^^^If you're going to do something like that, might I suggest using it as a paper weight rather than a coaster? Seeing as how if you use it as a coaster, the moisture from the bottom of your glass/bottle/can, or whatever else, would simply drip through the port opening and end up on your table anyway, thus defeating the purpose of a coaster. Just a thought. :)
Well, I have to give it to you, you're taking it very well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I say go for the experiment anyway. If you were already planing on doing it theres no need to stop because of a little criticism. You have the possibility of this totally not working or you have the possiblity of gaining a few ponies, but a few ponies on a forced induction setup would increase atleast 10 fold. Either way good luck!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
they arlready make them for the foci 2.0 d-tech, the reason u never heard about them is beacuse they dont work well for our cars. like it was said above works great on carb cars but on DI cars like ours its pointless

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the opinions and input, both positive and negative. That's exactly what we were looking for. The first Tower will be made soon for the Roush, and then for my PZEV. We will have records and/or video of all testing to be done (flow, dyno, etc.). Hopefully we'll get some kind of gain from the Tower itself, and if not alone, with CAI and aftermarket TB. Thanks again, and please, feel free to keep this post alive. We'd like to hear more from people, and we will give updates as we get them.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I like the idea for the methanol spray spacer.....That would be way cool! get that extra little boost...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with you. The idea for the injection port is a good one...one that we will consider if the spacer itself works well.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
as mentioned before, a tb spacer on a FI engine does absolutely nothing. on my durango forum, people who installed them consistantly see around a 2 hp decline in performance on average (depending on mods). they are an air restriction.

the only thing that would be good in that area is as mentioned just above, a meth/water sprayer spacer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
But, he keeps mentioning "the Roush"!

Surely, if you have "the Roush", then the part that you are peddling that would otherwise be laughed at gains a little legitimacy, no?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
..I mentioned the addition of the port from 1st hand problems with the meth/injection{Snow} on my turbo application. When spraying into the intake before the TB, the spray puddles and is forced under boost into the TPS which then shorts and wreaks havac with the electronic signals...etc.... I now have a wasted application untill I either get a TB/spacer or swap out intake manifolds to the FR and locate a sprayport into that.

To me the spacers' value only comes from it's strategic location leading to the intake camber, after the TB, and a perfect place to inject.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your input. It's always a plus to hear from people with first hand experience. Your comment about the menthanol pooling and shorting the TPS will be very useful when designing the spacer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts