Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been avoiding the whole Focus scene as I have too many projects and hobbies already. But necessity requires I learn about them. I like 4 cylinder cars anyway and I love a 2 door hatchback.

Anyway.....

My niece didn’t think oil was important enough to add it even though she knew she was low. So now she needs an engine. My option are to rebuild hers or pull one from a donor car. My 2 primary questions are:

1) What year range can I pull an engine from and have no issues?

2) Is there any reason I shouldn’t rebuild this engine?

Thanks for your input.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,394 Posts
Add the yr & model you have in ''what you drive'' section......makes it so much easier for others to answer your question(s)....If you have a spi or zetec car, then you'll need the wiring harness as well as the fuel tank & possibly a trans if its a spi car......If you already have a D-tech, get a motor out of a Fusion, that'll get you a 25.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Add the yr & model you have in ''what you drive'' section......makes it so much easier for others to answer your question(s)....If you have a spi or zetec car, then you'll need the wiring harness as well as the fuel tank & possibly a trans if its a spi car......If you already have a D-tech, get a motor out of a Fusion, that'll get you a 25.

I didn’t realize I left out the vehicle info.

It’s a 2007 Focus sedan. Nothing special. I’m looking to do a simple swap of engines. No upgrades. I just need to get this car back on the road. I just don’t know how early or late of a model I can pull an engine from and just drop it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
When you say "2.3L engine swap" it leads people to believe you are upgrading from a 2.0L since this is a pretty common swap/upgrade.

If you are not "upgrading", I assume the car already has a 2.3 and just needs to be replaced with another 2.3 that is not blown up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say "2.3L engine swap" it leads people to believe you are upgrading from a 2.0L since this is a pretty common swap/upgrade.

If you are not "upgrading", I assume the car already has a 2.3 and just needs to be replaced with another 2.3 that is not blown up?

No upgrade. No catastrophic failure. My niece just ran it low on oil and it quit on her. I haven’t looked at the car yet so I haven’t confirmed it’s the engine but that’s what I’m expecting. What is required to remove the pan so I can check the rod and main bearings?

·
FF Affiliate
30,504 Posts
2007 would be a 2.0 , a 2004 to 2007 would work , 2008-2011 you would have to change the intake manifold off your old 2.0

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2007 would be a 2.0 , a 2004 to 2007 would work , 2008-2011 you would have to change the intake manifold off your old 2.0

Tom

That is not correct. This 2007 has a 2.3L engine. I simply want to pull another 2.3L engine from another car to replace this one. I’m not looking to upgrade the engine but simply a like replacement. Is the engine the same back to the 2003?

Looking at auto parts websites, the 2.3L wasn’t available in the ‘08 and later although I haven’t checked all variations. It appears some of the Fusions have the same engine. Based on my experience with the Mazda BG platform, I suspect they are the exact same engine.

Can anyone confirm this and what years the Fusion has this engine and if any other cars have this engine?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it's an ST model?

I have no idea. It’s my sister-in-laws car that her daughter was driving until it quit. All I can tell you is that it’s an ‘07 Focus and the VIN indicates it has the 2.3L engine, Z in the VIN.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,394 Posts
I have no idea. It’s my sister-in-laws car that her daughter was driving until it quit. All I can tell you is that it’s an ‘07 Focus and the VIN indicates it has the 2.3L engine, Z in the VIN.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
That'd make it a st.....23 w/ a stick. Yeh you can found another 23 or step up to a fusion 25...Whatever you do, a great upgrade is a bsd= balance shaft delete plug, which will add a additional qtr of oil as running low on oil takess out the rod bearings.....Someone needs to learn how to check their vehicle before use, very similar to a preflight of a plane/heli....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That'd make it a st.....23 w/ a stick. Yeh you can found another 23 or step up to a fusion 25...Whatever you do, a great upgrade is a bsd= balance shaft delete plug, which will add a additional qtr of oil as running low on oil takess out the rod bearings.....Someone needs to learn how to check their vehicle before use, very similar to a preflight of a plane/heli....

No, it has an automatic transmission. I’m not doing any upgrades. I just want another 2.3L but I need to know what years of Focus can be a donor. Did the Fusion ever have the 2.3? If so, what years can I pull an engine from?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts