Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 ST and I'm putting a decent size audio system in it. The amp is an Audison Voce 5.1k which calls for 120amps at full tilt. I have no idea what the original alternator amps are rated at so I was wondering if you guys new and what alternators you use in your cars. I need one that's 120 + whatever the rest of the car asks for. I'm looking at a dcpower 250, it's a little pricey so wondering what you guys have. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You're certainly on the right track. I don't know the amperage of the stock alt in an 05, but it really doesn't matter. You're going to be taxing the living heck out of it with that amp. The DCPower 250 amp alt is a friggin beast. If you've got the coin, go for it. You might think about checking out Power Bastards too. They have a few models that will fit. A bit less amperage, but still plenty for your needs and a couple hundred dollars less money. Post up your results once you get it in. Let us know.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do, in a separate thread about my whole complete install, won't be for a few months though. And thanks for the info, got a little more research to do

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Power Bastards is not some fly-by-night company. They've been around awhile and I know I've seen them represented at shows. That said, I haven't personally used their product. It does come with a 1 year unconditional warranty. The DC Power alt comes with 2 years...though it doesn't specify what/how everything is covered by that.

I also wanted to point out that Power Bastards claims 120 amps output at idle, but doesn't specify what idle RPM is. But it does say full output is @ ~1200RPM. So one would assume idle is lower than that. DC power claims 180 amps output at idle, but the chart shows that at 2200 RPM! I don't know about you.... but my Focus doesn't idle at even half that. To top that off, full output isn't really seen until 3k+ RPM. Seems you really gotta wind that sucker out to get rated numbers. I'd say that makes Power Bastards a no brainer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! That does make it a no brainier that was gonna be my next question about the whole idle thing, thanks for answering before I could ask!! Lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it really asking for the transmission? Does that matter? And what does California have to do with anything lol different laws? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412114307.942859.jpg

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the mt exc California is a good looking 220 amp for 350, I think that should suffice

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I would give them a shout and ask if it makes a difference. Seems some are different model numbers, though they look the same. I donno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts