Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a new 2003 ZX3 premium 5 speed for $10,000 plus tax, title, etc. The dealer is down to the last one and I have been waiting for the 2004 to get the 2.3. I can get the 03 now, but will have to wait several months for the dealer to start dealing on the 04 and then I think the best I will be able to is in the $12-13 range until next year's closeout.

Has anyone driven both motors to offer an opinion as to whether the 2.3 and 04 model are worth the wait and extra expense?

Steve Harris

·
Registered
8 Posts
I test drove both the 2.0 and the 2.3 and the 2.3 kicks the 2.0's ass I'd say. Plus it's better on the enviroment!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I too was going to get a 2.0 but got the 2.3 instead. In my own humble opinion, it is a for better motor. I live in CT but my dealer got the car from thier sister dealership in NY. Not sure where you are from, but that scenario might be an option for you.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
the 2004's are here. there should be no wait for you. They can do dealer trades to get you the one you want. I would get the 2.3.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
I think the 2.3 is a better probably a better motor. The real question is, is it 2000 dollars better? For 2k, I'd stick with the 2.0.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
if it's 2,000 difference, stick with a zetec. You could easily makeup the difference in power with 2,000 and the aftermarket is much larger for the zetec. Plus there's no knowing what's in store for the 2.3 pzev engine, i've heard rumors that it's being done away in the 2005 model revamp and it'll be 2.0 again.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I don't think an engine is a $2K option, maybe part of a package. But the engine is only like $500 extra.

·
Registered
134 Posts
He's not saying that it's a $2000 option, that's the difference between the deal he can get on an '03 (damn good deal I'd say) and what he is going to have to pay for an '04 w/the 2.3

[burnout]

·
Registered
253 Posts
actually i did some research online about what's goign to happen with the 2.3 l and the 2.0l and heres what i've heard. in 2005 2.3 will lose the additional patrts that make the engine a pzev but will still meet those regulations and the 2.0 will get a pzev rating too. so that means a possible power increase in the 2.3 for the 2005 model year along with a redesigned body for 2005. for 2005 the focus will haev a possible early realease in the spring of 2004 from what i read , when i find that page again i'll try to post it for you gusy to read. pretty interestign stuff. hope that helped. for now i'm still waiting for my 2004 zx3 2.3l to get shipped to alaska. tentative delivery date is november 20th.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Zetec = Lots of aftermarket support now

PZEV = Not a lot of stuff at the moment who cares with whats out you run like 14's its like a stock GT mustang. And you get good gas mileage.

And i will never believe in anything that is gonna happen to the focus cause 03' was to be a updated body like europe got. And that was in 02' that the rumor was circulating, 2005 if thats whats going to happen someone should have at least seen one of the engines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason the 04 is 2K more is that the dealer isn't going to discount it by 5K like he is doing on the 03. The 03 has more rebates and he is willing to go down below invoice on the 03.

The motor is only about 150 more and now they charge for 16" wheels on the "comfort" model. Plus, there are no ZX3s on the lots yet. Plenty of 4/5 doors. I have checked several dealers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When is ford going to offer a turbocharged Focus that is widely available in the U.S.?? Thats something I would trade mine in for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well Dodge released a Neon with turbo that embarrasses the SVT Focus yet costs the same... Ford should step it up... based in the past though, they won't do $hit. Sometimes I wonder why Im a Ford fan.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Dodge Neon SRT is $20,995
Focus SVT is $19,135

Quite the bargain for an extra $1,860. You get a 2.5L engine with Turbo and 230 HP's and 250lbs of torque with the Neon SRT. Only thing I didn't find at the Dodge site was at what RPM's the HP and Torque peaked at.

Damn !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dodge Neon SRT is $20,995
Focus SVT is $19,135

Quite the bargain for an extra $1,860. You get a 2.5L engine with Turbo and 230 HP's and 250lbs of torque with the Neon SRT. Only thing I didn't find at the Dodge site was at what RPM's the HP and Torque peaked at.

Damn !
People should stop comparing these two cars. The SVT in my opinion is oozing with class. I think SVT did a outstanding job with that car.....nice rims, an amazing ride with a perfect mix of comfort and handling according to Car & Driver, 17" wheelios, Good high end and low end power. Clearly each one has a certain advantage. I'd rather have an SVT anyday honestly. But yes of course the Dodge Neon is much faster. But I just think they are one two different leagues. You get an SVT cheap these days and have someone put a Jackson Racing Supercahrger along with a couple of other mods and you'll be evenly matched with a Neon SRT-4. Not rooting for either car I'm just saying they're different.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ya and I looked at the web site for the neon . They have a factory upgrade for there turbo for like 300 and some odd dollars and its all under factory warranty. Thats what pisses me off. Why can ford do something like that.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
When the Mustang is no longer in production

BS.... they are two totally different cars for different markets. And even a turbo focus won't touch a Mustang GT. The focus weighs damn near as much as a mustang.. hell it has a longer wheel base than a mustang!! Just a totally different crowd who drives a mustang compared to a focus

1 - 20 of 52 Posts