Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Yea that was my plan too but idk If I need a different mount plate or not I'm
trying to use the 2.0 axle mount and it's not lining to the 2.5 block holes so and trying to use the 2.0 axle idk if that's my problem or not
Just an update to this, I had no issues what so ever getting the axle lined up.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Clutch switch can be jumped to bypass that, only typical issue with a manual trans..
Ya i tried that already no go. Not suprised though since I never touched anything inside the car. Just in the engine bay. Will have to do some digging tomorrow.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Fresh rested mind helps,,,,,,,[thumb]
This is definately not wrong. Got back under the car this morning popped a look and sure enough a wire (that i repaired from the squirrel attack) that leads to the start was pulled out. Probably from pulling around the wiring a bunch. So i hook that bad boy up go in and 3 cranks it starts! [headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang] Unfortunaly i missed a hose the squirrel got to so it started to puke some coolant. Goin run to the junkyard and see what I can find. But For the 20seconds it was running it sounded good.

I'm giddy as a schoolgirl this thing actually started! [giddy][giddy][giddy]

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is definately not wrong. Got back under the car this morning popped a look and sure enough a wire (that i repaired from the squirrel attack) that leads to the start was pulled out. Probably from pulling around the wiring a bunch. So i hook that bad boy up go in and 3 cranks it starts! [headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang] Unfortunaly i missed a hose the squirrel got to so it started to puke some coolant. Goin run to the junkyard and see what I can find. But For the 20seconds it was running it sounded good.

I'm giddy as a schoolgirl this thing actually started! [giddy][giddy][giddy]
[headbang]

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Got the coolant hose from the local pick n' pull for 2$. Sounded fair to me! Looked for other cool stuff in the junkyard for a bit since I was there but no luck. O well, I also got an egr coolant hose.

Well after a couple trips around the block, all looks well. Clutch works fantastic. I found bleeding the new slave very easy with reverse bleeding. Took all of about 3 minutes compared to when I did the Master cylinder that took hours to bleed.

Second, Car is LOUD with the header on, I think i'll get a Catalytic converter put in after the flex and move the res farther back. That should quite it down a nice bit.

Still need to get Tom a datalog. I threw a CEL on the way home Both for Bank 1 Sensor 2. Not surprising since there isn't one plugged in. Need to get wideband routed through the firewall as well. Need this ASAP for tune.

Oil Pressure light is on, I think this is due to me reusing the fusion one. I'm doing an oil change in 1000 miles and will replace it then since it requires draining the oil anyways. Engine sounds great and dipstick reads good so I'm not worried about oil pressure. I'm going to leave some cardboard under it tonight to check for leaks, but initially it all looks good.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Don't have to drain oil to replace a pressure sensor, that's nothing to guess at so take care of it ASAP.

Rule of thumb is to crank an engine until you get pressure/light goes out before first firing.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Great you got it running, Vince,,,,,,,,,[cheers][thumb][:)][grinking]

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Don't have to drain oil to replace a pressure sensor, that's nothing to guess at so take care of it ASAP.

Rule of thumb is to crank an engine until you get pressure/light goes out before first firing.
Huh, didn't know that I'll get it changed by tomorrow

I'd agree with you if it was a new engine, being used however and likely sitting for less than year, I imagine it was fine. I filled it with oil by pouring the first large gallon over the camshafts and everything with the valve cover off. Thing fired up with no issue, didn't even struggle finding idle right out of the gate.

Great you got it running, Vince,,,,,,,,,[cheers][thumb][:)][grinking]
Feels good [hihi]

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Well did a spot test last night to see if anything was leaking by putting cardboard underneath. No leaks as of yet will probably keep that up for a week or so just to make sure. Everything is going smoothly at this point. Need to get a firewire cable to hook up the wideband as well as drill through the firewall to let the cable through.

EDIT: updated first post with tools required and final costs for those interested.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Well did a spot test last night to see if anything was leaking by putting cardboard underneath. No leaks as of yet will probably keep that up for a week or so just to make sure. Everything is going smoothly at this point. Need to get a firewire cable to hook up the wideband as well as drill through the firewall to let the cable through.
Of course using a grommet,,,,IK you know,,,,,just mentioning,,,,,,,

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Just like to post an update to this. Everything is still working perfectly fine. Still haven't got the tune worked out all the way yet (just don't have the time when traffic is not an issue). Nothing weird to report though. No leaks, shifting is smooth, clutch holds the power just fine, That low end grunt sure is nice to have.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I have done the same swap in my 05 ST. Does your Focus buck and surge in 4th gear around 2000 RPM's?
Yes I've been having this issue before the engine swap though so i cant attribute those symptoms to the swap itself. I'm thinking it has to do to with the intake manifold since it started happening after I pulled the intake manifold to replace the thermostat, replace pvc tube, and delete the tumble flaps. It only bucks and surges when I get on it from that speed though. If i do a slow tip in, it doesn't have any symptoms. Watching my AFR it jumps back and forth. I still need to finish the tuning with tom on it. Before I did the engine swap I was tuning and it was slowly going away. I can notice it a tiny bit in third and 5 around the same RPM. Could be a vac leak as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like we have the same issue. I have found that disconnecting the EGR greatly reduces the problem. I just don't want to pay $400 to get a tune and get the EGR turned off.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I have had my EGR disabled via tune for a while now. Thats what makes me think there is a vac leak somewhere. Only enough to cause a problem under certain loads/rpms. Personally I think it has to do with deleting the tumble flaps, but not sure if you did that or not. I removed the metal bar that goes through the end of the runners so air could be being pulled across runners (probably not good). Thinking about going to the junkyard and grabbing the bar from another focus to see if that helps fix the problem. I need to shoot off another log to Tom to see what he says about it. He wasn't sure before because i didn't have a wideband installed until after the engine swap.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Bar removed isn't a problem unless the end opening isn't capped.

Yamaha used a cross tube to aid in balance across the intakes on 4 cyl. inline engines, special tool was needed to block it off when balancing the four carbs. Opened back up it aided in keeping them close to each other for even firing at lower RPM.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts