Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did use the 2.3 timing cover the mount I'm talking about it on the passenger side axle the bolts to the block not the timing cover
Did you use the 2.3 timing cover or keep the stock 2.5? Also the lower torque mount attaches to the transmission. The only mount that attaches to the block is the PSM. It sounds like you didn't change over the timing cover. Since I believe the one guy who did it with the 2.5 timing cover used spacers there.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm thinking that you messed up on the install honestly since no one else is reporting this issue. What year fusion did you get your engine from?

EDIT: also it says you drive an svt...Are you swapping in a 2.5 into that?

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Updated first post with prices of current build. Also engine is in the garage!

Will try and get the tear down going this weekend and have it finished by Monday so I can order any parts that may need replacing.

Questions:
Should i use the 2.5 plug coils or the stock 2.3 plug coils?
Should I use the 2.3 or 2.5 injectors? fuel rail?

Thats all for now hopefully another update due monday

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Which head are you using?

I have heard 03-04 2.3 PZEV injectors were the best as far as oem.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sticking with the 2.5 head, purchased an adapter plate for the intake manifold. Its either my 05' st 2.3 injectors or the fusion 2.5 injectors. I figured I could run either/or since I'll have a tune in place BUT just curious if there is a difference or not. Would prefer to use the 2.3 injectors so i could pass DMV on a stock tune if necessary. Might try to pass DEQ before the swap TBD as it will be close to time.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Sticking with the 2.5 head, purchased an adapter plate for the intake manifold. Its either my 05' st 2.3 injectors or the fusion 2.5 injectors. I figured I could run either/or since I'll have a tune in place BUT just curious if there is a difference or not. Would prefer to use the 2.3 injectors so i could pass DMV on a stock tune if necessary.This>>>>>>>>> Might try to pass DEQ before the swap TBD as it will be close to time.
<<<<<<

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Pretty sure 04ztsjeff name is jeff. So would that make me sean? [:)] I think felix needs some sleep havin a large brain fart.
04ztsjelf
Last name is jelf lol. It's ok, everyone says jeff is my last name. I'm frequently asked if I spelled it right...my own name.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Alright started getting all the old wiring and parts off the 2.5 today but ran into a snag and called it quits since i had to get going anyways. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the crank pulley? I can't exactly step on the brakes to hold the crank in place like many have suggested since it is out of the car.

Also should I have the alignment tools in when I loosen the pulley? I know the D-tecs are interference engines and the pistons will contact the valves so I'm trying to be as careful and througho as possible to avoid any damage.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
If you have to remove the pulley, you want the engine aligned to the timing position first - but you CAN'T leave timing tools in place while loosening that pulley bolt.

You lose timing as soon as it's loosened, but you need to be close to the correct position to make realignment easier.

Pulley holder tool is obviously best/easiest. Second is an impact wrench. Last would be bracing the flywheel with a pry bar.

Think you've seen this one:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/9748258-post96.html

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I used a impact wrench on mine a couple times. Like Roger mentioned you'll need the timing straight up. You'll see both #1 cams (int/exh) lobes pointing towards each other & you can't have the timing bar hooked to the cams. That's where a quick zap of a impact comes in.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks you guys! Tool couldn't be found to rent and buying it was 150[?|][?|] for a two time use tool i don't think its worth spending that much. So i went and tried the electric impact. No go. Finally in one last attempt I took out the blow torch and got it nice and toasty, quickly poured water on it, and hit it with the impact....slowly it came out! so timing cover is off along with the worthless intake cam.

Next I was examining the VCT solenoid trying to figure out exactly how to delete the VCT without spending $$. Well as you can see below it looks like this new model head (2013 fusion) has ports for 2 vct solenoids, and one of them has a blank in it.

So naturally i flipped it around to see if it would fit the other one. And would you look at that it does!

Now i'm wondering if i can just run to a junkyard and grab one of these for super cheap. It does hang over the edge other wrong side, but i don't really see anything that could possible contact that point or cause any future problems.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
nice. maybe a little part # research will help- there may be one for the other side?

or just flip it as you did. as long as theres no contact its all good

21 - 40 of 105 Posts