Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first of all I want to thank you for any help that you give me.

Okay, so I have a 2003 Ford Focus SE with a 2.3 in it. I have recently had a lot of issues with it which are lots of hesitation on acceleration, massive fuel consumption rate, and now I pulled spark plugs and have oil on the first plug. The car has 230000 MI.

So then I have 2000 Focus SE with the 2.0 16 valve zetec engine which was in a car accident that left the front-end totalled but the engine and transmission is untouched and totally fine.

So my main question is, what does it take to swap the 2.3 motor for the zetec? Would I have to swap Transmissions to? I am also on a budget for this car so I want to keep it as cheap as possible. All information is very much appreciated. And thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To answer anyones possible question to why I'm doing this swap, these are the codes that the 2.3 had about a month ago before I did a bit of work to the car. Now it has a p0101, p1233 and p2257. After I worked a bit on it. And the cat is about fried.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
While I’m new here, I do search a lot, this forum and google. From what I have read, and I could be off a little, the 2.3 has a different bell housing. But I’m not sure. I would say your best bet at this point is to pull the 2.0 engine and trans out of the donor, then make it a weekend to pull the 2.3 engine and trans. Once they are both out, you have eyes on them, nothing is better than that. Also, I would think planning to swap harness and ecm is going to be a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
First the 2.3 and trans share nothing with the zetec package, actually u r going backward in hp and tq and drivable powertrain. Fix the 2.3 or swap in another 2.3 or at least a 2.0 duratec. Sell the zetec to help offset the duratec build or repair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I figure the harness, pcm, and cat + exhaust needs swapped. But I have this weekend to do it. I have 3 days off but it should only take me a day in a half max, and I have the 2.0 about half way out of donor car already. Its my daily drive so I need to make sure I have everything I need. Dont like to take truck to work. To big for tight parking and gas mileage ain't as great as the focus.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
First the 2.3 and trans share nothing with the zetec package, actually u r going backward in hp and tq and drivable powertrain. Fix the 2.3 or swap in another 2.3 or at least a 2.0 duratec. Sell the zetec to help offset the duratec build or repair.
Yes. I totally agree. <minus the 2.0 duratec idea>. Drop in a 2.0 duratec into a 2.3 car sounds like moving to Problem City.

The OP engine swap idea is never going to happen, or should not be done. If done; big time waste, money toss, and great headaches should follow.

With that said... anything like that is possible. Pain threshold.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I forgot to mention:

Would a FF moderator please consider renaming this thread Title into what it really is?

"Replacing a 2.3 Duratec engine, with a 2.0 Zetec engine? Any thoughts?"

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'd fix the 2.3 for sure.
Nothing about those codes tells me the engine itself is bad. You have some air and fuel issues.
Check MAF, Fuel Pump Driver module, secondary air system, etc.
The Oil on the Spark plug could just be a leaking valve cover gasket.

You would be taking steps backwards and also creating a ton of work for yourself by swapping a zetec in there

·
w/ my magic bag
29,326 Posts
Yes. I totally agree. <minus the 2.0 duratec idea>. Drop in a 2.0 duratec into a 2.3 car sounds like moving to Problem City.

The OP engine swap idea is never going to happen, or should not be done. If done; big time waste, money toss, and great headaches should follow.

With that said... anything like that is possible. Pain threshold.
I'd fix the 2.3 for sure.
Nothing about those codes tells me the engine itself is bad. You have some air and fuel issues.
Check MAF, Fuel Pump Driver module, secondary air system, etc.
The Oil on the Spark plug could just be a leaking valve cover gasket.

You would be taking steps backwards and also creating a ton of work for yourself by swapping a zetec in there
x 2....No one would go this far, if anything ppl have swapped a D-tech into a zetec car. Wiring harness, pcm, evac, fuel tank as well as the trans. At this point, its really no cost or labor effective. Have a look at the '05-'07 st which uses the 23 w/o all that emissions of the '03-'04 23's use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. I'm not swapping the 2.3 with the 2.0 After all this info. Is there anything from the zetec I can use on the 2.3?
A few months ago, I had an o2 sensor go out and my cat was glowing red. Took out the pre cat sensor and was nothing left on it, just melted away. So I replaced all o2 sensors, but car still has strong sulfur smell. So I'm pretty sure I need a new cat. Is there any cheap but efficient ways to fix this or go around it besides a new cat?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay guys, so I took off my exhaust header/cat out of 2.3 and it crumbled out. I finished cleaning the junk out of the cat and also have new O2 sensors and exhaust gaskets to put and it's as well. Would it be worth switching the pre cat and after cat O2 sensors since the after cat sensor it's supposed to read at a higher temperature anyways?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,326 Posts
Okay guys, so I took off my exhaust header/cat out of 2.3 and it crumbled out. I finished cleaning the junk out of the cat and also have new O2 sensors and exhaust gaskets to put and it's as well. Would it be worth switching the pre cat and after cat O2 sensors since the after cat sensor it's supposed to read at a higher temperature anyways?
I'd want a new upstream o2 sensor at least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Felix! I see you are very knowledgeable about the focus. So after I did all this work. I drove it for a day and I got codes P2195 and P2257 as stored codes. Then after 2 days of driving now I have P0138 and P0171 as pending codes assuming they will be stored after another day or two of driving. Pics of codes included. I also noticed fuel consumption has dramatically increased. I checked for fuel leaks and couldn't find any. I guess my question is, what do you think about this and what would you do for my next steps? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check your oil.
If you’ve got a fuel smell to it & it’s level is a little high.
You probably have a damaged/stuck fuel injector.
Also, once a cat gets glowing hot. It’s pretty much toast. A replacement will be needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the cat and Exhaust header is one piece. But I drilled out the honey comb cuz it was clogged. I'm thinking of taking the injectors out of the head and leaving them connected to the fuel rail and pressurizing the system to see if there are any stuck injectors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts