Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i recently and unfortunately had spun a bearing so i bought a cheap a 05 2.0l from the junkyard and swapped it into my 05 ST. after completing the swap the car started and ran ok a few times and then somewhat gradually started to get harder to start and now will not start at all. cranks fine but no start. the engine was from an atx where as mine was an mtx and for a brief moment i had a check engine light which came up as p0320 regarding the crank position sensor. ive checked all the wiring including grounds aswell as replacing the crank sensor but now and lost...

any help would be much appreciated thanks FF[thumb]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did not... though its been in the back of my mind. i didnt think it would be an issue as i basically swapped the long blocks as in accessories from the 2.3 onto the 2.0 and had it going enough to datalog and tune without obvious computer issues.

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
Maybe they use a different crank sensor or the sensor is mounted differently.

·
Registered
975 Posts
On the Zetec the Crank sensor is on a little mount that bolts to the block. that Mount is different on atx and mtx. Maybe the same goes for the D-tec.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If it was the crank sensor originally it wouldn't start. Now it might be a loose crank sensor, but I think the problem is more related to the D23 requiring more fuel than the D20 does. I don't think you'll want to swap the computer. From what I understand, Ford computers need to be programmed to jive with each other on the network.

You will most likely need a tune though. If you have an SCT then contact one of our tuners, and they should be able to hook you up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Were both motors bolted to A/T? The reason I ask is because Ford uses a shim between the bellhousing and engine block on the A/T setup were as with the M/T setup they do not use this shim.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the Zetec the Crank sensor is on a little mount that bolts to the block. that Mount is different on atx and mtx. Maybe the same goes for the D-tec.
actually i looked into that before posting but the duratec crank sesor is bolted directly to the timing cover.

If it was the crank sensor originally it wouldn't start. Now it might be a loose crank sensor, but I think the problem is more related to the D23 requiring more fuel than the D20 does. I don't think you'll want to swap the computer. From what I understand, Ford computers need to be programmed to jive with each other on the network.

You will most likely need a tune though. If you have an SCT then contact one of our tuners, and they should be able to hook you up.
i had the car running at one point enough to log and tune with tom. this was after i replaced the crank sensor ad soon after unplugged it and plugged it back in. seemed weird but im unsure of why or if it is related....

Were both motors bolted to A/T? The reason I ask is because Ford uses a shim between the bellhousing and engine block on the A/T setup were as with the M/T setup they do not use this shim.
the 2.0 was from an a/t car where as the 2.3 was from my st which has a m/t

thanks a lot for the replys guys i really miss my baby[:(]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If you have a tune from Tom, then you have an SCT. If you have an SCT, then download the program to data-log, and then post the data-log on here or show it to Tom. He's the kind of person that if it is related to his tune, he'll fix it for free. With just the information here, I can't do better than a 10% guess. It is a progressive problem, according to you, so that leads me to think it's related to the tune- maybe something in the learning process.

Try resetting the PCM by reloading the tune. If that works, and the same things happen- then you should follow the data log recommendation for sure and let Tom know what's happening.

I'd also check the stupid stuff: pull the plugs, see if you can read anything from them. Check the air filter, check the air intake connection, etc. Go over anything you can think of that might give you a clue as to what's happening.

OH, I don't think it means anything, but how long did the car sit? Have you put new fuel in?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i went through the whole data log and tune procedure with tom everything in that area seemed fine but wow i feel like an idiot good point with the fuel thing it has been sitting for a while going to try that tomorrow.
thanksss a lot

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
put about a half a tank of 93 in it today with no success.. at this point im leaning toward an electrical issue however i cant pin point it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts