Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
My engine was running lean at WOT with this TB, I went back to stock and it fixed the problem, anyone else had this problem? (yes, Tom is tuning my car)

·
Registered
505 Posts
My engine was running lean at WOT with this TB, I went back to stock and it fixed the problem, anyone else had this problem? (yes, Tom is tuning my car)

Did you tell him you have this TB installed? And did you datalog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hmm that’s odd. I’ve had mine on for like a year now and no issues at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Noob question but is this upgrade a “plug and play” or is a tune necessary if I add the 2.3 TB to my NA 2.0

·
FF Affiliate
30,504 Posts
I have tuned them as well , many of them , I think he had a Vac leak some where , went back to stock TB and his lean issue went away

I still dont understand people still adding the larger TB since it doesnt add HP or TQ and please dont say it adds better throttle response , for better throttle response you have to increase TQ and on the dyno from 1800 to 7000rpm it didnt

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
So everyone, including myself that has done this mod and felt a noticeable difference in throttle response are wrong because you say its not possible?

·
FF Affiliate
30,504 Posts
I have dyno tested 2 different Throttle bodies on 2 different MK3 a 65mm and a 70mm neither showed any gains from 1800 to 7000

Im just telling you what the Dyno said its doing or what its not doing in this case

I have a true story I like to tell , a guy brought in a Camaro for me to dyno , install UDP and redyno , he dropped the car off in the morning , told me everything was in the front seat , It took much longer with the car I was working on and didnt get to his Camaro , I took the parts out earlier to look at them and when I saw I wouldnt have time i put the parts in the trunk , Customer came and I told him I didnt finish it and he drove the Camaro home and back the next morning telling me how much better his Camaro felt through out the RPM range and the UDP were worth every penny , I opened the trunk and showed him I had not installed them and he was shocked to say the least

Placebo effect

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, to be fair, your example is of a Camaro owner.... they always think their car is faster no matter what is or isn't done. Way back in the early 90's when my friends and I were driving Fox Mustangs, a new kid rolls into town in a newer RS Camaro with a 5.0 and was sitting with his buddies in our normal parking lot gathering place. We overheard him talking about how fast his car was because it had a "turbo". All of us being curious asked him to open the hood so we could see it. He did, and proudly pointed to the alternator as his mighty turbocharger and claimed how he regularly dusts mustangs and corvettes alike.

·
FF Affiliate
30,504 Posts
The point was , he though the parts were add and though it was faster because of it

It goes to show that adding a new part can "feel" better but not actually add any HP or TQ

Tom

21 - 32 of 32 Posts