Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any body know were i can ge 2.3 duratech and how hard it would b to swap out my 2.0and replace with the 2.3......i have a 06 duratech 2.0

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
very simple... the ecu's are the same (Considering it is an auto to auto or 5speed to 5speed) the only other thing to wrry about is if the motor is a pzev and you have a non-pzev you will have to go hunting for hardware and that could get pricey, so i'd say stick with the same emmsion system

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well considering that on the cosworth site the 2.0 duratech crate motor has more power than the 2.3 the question is why?

Tim

·
Registered
440 Posts
makes you feel any better i heard the d20 head is alot better flowing than the d23 so why do all that work?

·
Registered
859 Posts
IIRC, you've got that backwards and the 2.3L head flows slightly better than the 2.0L.

But this wouldn't be the first time IDRC!

·
Registered
930 Posts
YRC.

the 2.0l got basically a ranger head....everybody else seems to get the better casting. It isn't a problem until much higher HP number cause the 2.0 head is still marvelously good flowing, but it is technically not as good.

And I agree with direboi. If I decide to replace this engine, I will be buying a 2.3L and doing an NA build on it. The parts are there, just a matter of buying them. 2.0L parts are harder to find.

·
Registered
393 Posts
direboi said:
^^^ because it's almost impossible to find someone who makes 2.0 forged rods for a decent price.
So you are spending all the money on a swap to save money. [werd] [werd] [scratch] [scratch]

Tim

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
RS-wagon said:
So you are spending all the money on a swap to save money. [werd] [werd] [scratch] [scratch]

Tim
Well, it is a fairly good idea to have a motor out of a vehicle to build- especially if that vehicle is your only driver. There's an awful lot of information about this motor on here, but I wouldn't go building one myself until I had one apart to measure. As far as I know, nobody on here has built a D20.

A D23 swap should be easy. A good junkyard will remove the motor from the donor vehicle for you, and give you the wiring harness and ECU also. The cost should be somewhere around $500. It's also relatively easy to find a vehicle that has been hit in the rear or in the side to get all the parts from, and some extras to sell in order to reduce the overall cost of the project. The computers are physically the same, but the programming is different. A long while back someone asked Wayne at Hypnotic if he could provide a tune to convert a D20 computer to a D23, and he answered that he could. I also recall another FF who ordered a motor for his vehicle (I think it was a Duratec) and when he got it the motor he had was an ATX motor when he had an MTX. The crank position sensor (if memory is correct) needed to be moved around for the MTX.

Due to the way that this motor is designed without timing marks or keys in the crank- it might be a less foolproof job to simply install the larger motor.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I am passively looking for a 2.3. I know my current engine will not be able to take the torture I have in store for it, and thusly I am planning to build a high compression 2.3L. Problem is, I need to get into the 12s...and I'm pretty sure 100hp jets will do it..but my engine will fail massively if I do that..lol. I need a beefier bottom end particularly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts