Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Prob. worn tumble flap clatter, watch the actuator & the reduction in noise as you rev it should correspond with them opening.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
That vid was a 20 motor. Its the imrc flaps like Roger mentioned. Undo the vacuum line going to the passenger side imrc electonic/vacuum switch at the top of the manifold & be sure to plug the intake line & you'll see & hear the noise goes away. So this means you'll need to= 1 r&r a i/m or just remove them. And when you do I'd recommend you replace the pcv hose since you'll have the i/m off.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
That vid was a 20 motor. Its the imrc flaps like Roger mentioned. Undo the vacuum line going to the passenger side imrc electonic/vacuum switch at the top of the manifold & be sure to plug the intake line & you'll see & hear the noise goes away. So this means you'll need to= 1 r&r a i/m or just remove them. And when you do I'd recommend you replace the pcv hose since you'll have the i/m off.
BTW you call it a "electronic/vacuum switch"; I call it a solenoid.

The engine in the video has imrc and imtv solenoids so it is a 2.3 right?

@Sith
I agree with the guys above, your imrc flaps inside the IM are making most of that noise. Also, my IMTV flaps make noise too. Disconnecting the electrical connector or a vacuum line from a imrc or imtv solenoid will change the position of the actuator arm and the flaps and make much less noise. Disabling imrc will set a DTC and a CEL. Disabling imtv does NOT set a DTC or CEL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...ocus|Submodel:ZX3&hash=item53ff714372&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine is 2.3 its an ST

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry guys i was geting on the car when i make last post, te engine is a 2.3

here are a pic (sorry is dark anda can't have a nice shot)
IMAG1621.jpg

and second my mechanical skills are not the best what mean about " flaps inside the IM"

i has to find a ford specialized mechanical for a second opinion, take it to the dealer its could be realy expensive here

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Google "duratec tumble flaps" to find pictures easiest.

They're flaps in the intake manifold near where it attaches to the head. Closed at low rpm & open as rpm increases, they help low rpm performance.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
sorry guys i was geting on the car when i make last post, te engine is a 2.3

and second my mechanical skills are not the best what mean about " flaps inside the IM"

i has to find a ford specialized mechanical for a second opinion, take it to the dealer its could be realy expensive here
I'd find a good independent shop to replace your i/m.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Google "duratec tumble flaps" to find pictures easiest.

They're flaps in the intake manifold near where it attaches to the head. Closed at low rpm & open as rpm increases, they help low rpm performance.
Ok whit this there all more clear, I will cheque after work
Tanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Relay tanks guys
I unplug the vacuum and sound disappear, but!
As soon a turns of and restart the engine the sound start again, now I have to find a new im, this could be a good excuse to install a cosworth one? Ne tho $$$$$

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I recommend you replace the intake manifold with a Ford IM like this->
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...ocus|Submodel:ZX3&hash=item53ff714372&vxp=mtr

<< OR >> if you have future plans to put in more time and money into your engine performance and other engine modifications... A Cosworth or Cosworth knock-off intake manifold will require you to have a custom PCM Tune. A tune is a great thing, if you have the desire and about $400 to do the PCM tune.

A tune is also a great thing without or with few engine mods.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

<< OR >> if you have future plans to put in more time and money into your engine performance and other engine modifications... A Cosworth or Cosworth knock-off intake manifold will require you to have a custom PCM Tune. A tune is a great thing, if you have the desire and about $400 to do the PCM tune.

I concur w/ this^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I concur w/ this^^^^^^^^^^^

on that link the manifold is for a 2004 would be compatible on 2006??

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It should be, but I'd check it out 1st. I'd also look for a better price too.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Link's only useful for generic intake manifold picture.

One for your engine type would be correct. '05-'07 2.0 should all be the same, actually don't know about subsequent variations for sure - through '11 might fit, you'd have to check listings to be sure. (as long as the electric TB bolts on the same way, they're prob. identical)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts