Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - been a zillion posts on this but most do not seem to be specific to duractec motors.

Got a CEL and the Code 1518 (IMRC stuck open).

Understand that most like likely I need to replace the control unit. What is not clear is whether this means the actuator (part 9L492) or the unit that sits ontop of the manifold (9J559) in the picture below.

Or - if it's an electrical fault - there are notes to check for a fault of 1V near the sensor - how does one do this? Pull off the connector? or with the connector attached?

TIA,

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
IIRC disconnect the plugs or hoses on top of the manifold and clear the code then try it and see what code it pulls. Not sure if that will work, but I think it will tell you if the irmc is really bad. I do believe it is talking about the one on the bottom right in the picture.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The "Or this" is the swirl control flaps, so its not that.

Sounds like the notes are to do a voltage reading at the solenoid; pull the connector and measure. However, I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for since I don't know the range of voltages is considers valid.

Try this. Swap the solenoids, and see if the problem still persists. If it does, the problem is the actuator. If it goes away or changes, than its the solenoid.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Where is the imrc even located? I have the same problem with my 2003 zx5 2.3l duratec. Please help!!
I don't think the IMRC is one thing, it is more a system and has a couple components. Look again at the picture in the OP. Since you are in Phx, and we have similar cars, I am sending you a PM.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,461 Posts
where does the bottom of hose 12226B go?
To the actuator that operates the imrc. Its located behind the t/b. More likey you need a drivers side solenoid. The pass one operates the imtv, which is a valve that operates the different length intake runners, similar to the svt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
according to OPs diagram hose 12226A is connected to the actuator 9L492 and this is the case in my 2003 ZX3. However my hose 12226B is not connected to anything. where does the bottom end of that hose (12226B) go?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
according to OPs diagram hose 12226A is connected to the actuator 9L492 and this is the case in my 2003 ZX3. However my hose 12226B is not connected to anything. where does the bottom end of that hose (12226B) go?
Your car (2.3 engine) has two actuators and two solenoids (IMRC & IMTV). Those hoses connect to their respective actuator (at the bottom) and solenoid (at the top). Lying on the ground and looking up at the intake manifold might give you some better views of the hose/s connections on each actuator.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The 'IMTV' Felix mentioned, it's the actuator down at the bottom of that diagram that's not numbered.

You can JUST see the arm for that from in front of the car, looking below the throttle body. The one for the IMRC that sets a code when it doesn't work pops up behind the throttle body, as it attaches to the intake manifold at the end of it just behind the TB.

Top end of hose B to the solenoid toward the passenger side.

When revving the engine by hand to check operation, the IMRC (tumble flaps, lever joint behind the TB) operates fairly quickly. The IMTV only operates at much higher RPM, about as high as you'd want to rev it without a load.

(Beat me Marde)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,461 Posts
You'll notice another actuator below in the pic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts