Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my engine light came on, got it read it says the 2 & 3 cylinders are misfiring. I changed the plugs, wires and the coil but its still doin it. Just changed the fuel filter last week and the fuel pump was replaced last summer. I dont know what else to do. Someone please help me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
put it on a computer and reset codes or see what codes come up, ford should do a quick diagnostic in a few minutes for free or cheap just to see whats wrong

·
Registered
287 Posts
mine did that crap too, it doesnt run bad or anything it just throws the codes every so often. i just have a shop clear them out and make sure its good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
sill its autozone..... just go to ford it shouldnt cost to much if theres nothing to bad, but it could lead to something else also

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Before you go to all that trouble, try removing the negative terminal of the battery for about 10 minutes and see if the codes pop back up. If they do, then spray Windex or Fantastic on the plug wires, that will cause any spark leaks to become obvious- especially at night you should see the sparks. In the day you will hear the popping coinciding with the miss.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
how many miles on the motor...high milage and low compression can cause misfire codes.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Are 2&3 actually misfiring? Does the engine sound like its running rough and accelerates like a gravel truck?

Check the plug that goes in at the base of the coil, I had the same problem. There's three wires that go into it, the middle one sends power and the outside two supply timing information; one controls 2&3 and the other controls 1&4. I had this same problem, and one of the wires had frayed and disconnected from the plug. When mine did it I just cut the plug out of the harness and repaired it myself, and then spliced it back in with crimp connectors. Ford also sells a replacement that is basically a new plug with about a foot of extra wire and crimp connectors.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
If all else fails, do a compression test on your cylinders just to make sure. I"ll bet they are fine, but its easy to check if you have a tester... I"ll bet its a loose connection or something, also, check for an air leak on the intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts