Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking my car to a muffler shop to get a catback system, but I cannot decide whether or not I should use 2.25 inch or 2.5 inch piping. I want most horsepower and torque possible, so I am worried that the I will be losing some needed backpressure with the 2.5 inch piping.

I am also in a dilemma with the choice of mufflers. As for now this is my first choice:

http://www.performancecenter.com/branduser/?productID=146551

And:

http://www.performancecenter.com/branduser/?productID=146579

I know it says that the second one is recommended for trucks, but would it work? and would it be better to use?

Any other recommendations are welcome.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Woh, that's WAY too much for an exhaust unless you need the stainless to prevent rust in 100 years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 2.5" exhaust will always make more power on a 2.3L Focus provided the muffler is not drastically restrictive.I went from a Powertone 2.25" to a Borla 2.5" and picked up 1.5whp and 2.5 lb. torque.The Borla also had an extra muffler where the Powertone did not.I repeated this experiment on a friends car and the gains were identical.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
This loss of backpressure thing is getting out of hand. Its a myth on these cars, no such thing. Every focus I have dyno'd has made more power and torque with a 2.5" exhaust over a 2.25" exhaust.

·
Registered
114 Posts
focaltech said:
This loss of backpressure thing is getting out of hand. Its a myth on these cars, no such thing. Every focus I have dyno'd has made more power and torque with a 2.5" exhaust over a 2.25" exhaust.
FC CAI and custom Sebring 2.5" equaled 88.89mph nuff said.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
focaltech said:
Its mis-labeled. Back-pressure is bad, you don't want it. Its exhaust velocity you want to preserve. Slap a 3" on a NA engine, and your exhaust velocity will just plummit.

http://www.apartment107.net/db/forums/showthread.php?t=213

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah but someone once said that backpressure is a by-product of exhaust velocity. Or was it the other way around? Either way if you didn't have backpressure how would you end up with faster exhaust velocity? This is how I see it.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Think of it this way. Back pressure starts at a certain diameter, and increases as the size decreases. Exhaust velocity decreases while pipe size increases. You want a size that is going to minimize backpressure (or have none at all), but maximize exhaust velocity. Usually its the intercept point of those two plots.

But thats in the simplest sense. Cats, mufflers, resonators, and different type of bends add complexity to this, so its not so straight forward.

·
Registered
847 Posts
When you see a civic with black smoke marks all up the backside of the car coming from the exhaust, that tells you 2 things:

1. They need to wash the damn thing
2. There is just about 0 exhaust velocity

Older cars used to have this problem, like police cruisers with sporty exhaust, you used to have to blow the excess crap out the back by reving it real high after cruising around town for a couple hours.... because if you didnt, the buildup could cause problems.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Update: 2.5" equaled 91mph I'm convinced 2.5" will make more power if you want to be a car length back still go with 2.25 I gained torque I didnt lose any and besides this car has torque to spare for a little help up top on the HP side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts