Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best size to get for a catback? 2.25 or 2.5

Thanks

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
what do you plan to do in the future as far as how much power you want your car to have? b/c it makes a difference

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I think most people recommend 2.25. If your going turbo or supercharger, than go 2.5.
People on this site have said that if you go to 2.5 without a turbo or supercharger, you might not have enough back pressure and it will cause you to lose power.
[whip]

·
Registered
341 Posts
its not that you lose back pressure (ole hot rodder's tale), its that you loose exhaust gas velocity...and there is where a potential power decrease can occur.

2-2.25 NA
2.5 or bigger FI

-Ult

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not goin turbo or SC. Another question tho. I saw on the internet, www.trubendz.com, I think it was. They have borla catbacks for $255 or $295 for stainless? My wife works for a Wheel and performance shop, and I can get it there for $400 @ COST? Am I missing something here? Could this be true?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
microtonal said:
I think most people recommend 2.25. If your going turbo or supercharger, than go 2.5.
People on this site have said that if you go to 2.5 without a turbo or supercharger, you might not have enough back pressure and it will cause you to lose power.
[whip]
Whoever said this should be shot in the face with a potato cannon loaded full of dead hamsters.

I love how the "rumors" circulate but when asked no one ever really starts them.

Either a 2.25 or 2.50 exhaust is fine N/A, the 2.50 is suited for FI.

I have dyno'd 60+ foci and have seen just about every combination out there. There is no difference give or take +/- 1-2 whp when comparing a 2.25 to a 2.50 cat back.

I dyno'd a car with the same setup as mine and he made 1 whp less and 2 wtq less. The only diff was he had a 2.25 flex and catback.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
yeah u so crazy. no dif between 2.25 and 2.5 on n/a. get whatever floats your boat....

ravage... trubendz uses borla, magnaflow, flowmaster, etc... mufflers but does their own piping. its a quality steel and mandrel bent but in just buying those mufflers they can make pretty much the same quality catback just much cheaper :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
forgot to mention. i have a SE (4 doors). well i ordered my catback through my wifes work. think its comming from NOPI. it's going to be 2.5 the sales guy told me. cant wait till this weekend so i can put on my catback and header. hi-flow cat will be next month

1 - 11 of 11 Posts