Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place to post this. I just bought a 07 focus se with a 2.0. I was told it had a bad timing chain. I looked it up and saw it was supposed to be a non interference engine. I thought it would be an easy fix so I bought it. I took it apart and the timing chain was still one piece so I figured it must have just jumped time. I went ahead and put the new chain on and double checked and triple checked the timing. it was all good but no start. Engine sounds the same as before. so I broke it down far enough to check the timing again and everything is still on the money. I checked the compression and have none on any cylinders. Any advice on which way to go from here? It had no oil on the dipstick when I bought it, I checked at jiffy lube and they showed me her records and they had a note in their system that the last three oil changes she came in with no oil on the dipstick. that is the only back ground I have on the car. Thanks for any and all advice, I know my way around an older engine but this keyless crank gear and pulley is all new to me. I bought all the tools and have my youtube certification. I won't be offended if you feel like dumbing it down for me. Or if you get too technical I'll probably ask you to dumb it down if its something new to me. Thanks again in advance

·
FF Affiliate
30,152 Posts
No compression on any Cyl ? Pull the valve cover and check the Valve gap , if you have a TON then valves are bent , if clearance is good let us know

Valve clearance should be about .006-.012 just as a quick reference , if a .020 feeler gaige will go thats WAY to much

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well crap! Without turning the engine over, the ones I checked would slide a .20 feeler gauge under them so I guess its time to have the head worked on. Now for the crazy question, if the timing chain wasn't broke, all the teeth were ok, what in the world could have happened to bend all the valves if its supposed to be a non interference engine? I need to get back with the lady and ask exactly where she was and what happened when it quit on her. Am I grasping at straws here thinking that it has something to do with the oil situation. At this point I'm thinking about re ringing it and new bearings throughout. what do you think if I've got it this far apart?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't go any thicker than the .20 it didn't have much resistance at all. Just like dragging your fingernail on a counter top and feeling where two pieces are joined together. you feel the resistance but you just go right over it, thats how the feeler gauge was at .20 you could feel it when it was barely catching but it slid right under.

·
FF Affiliate
30,152 Posts
More then likely why you dont have compression

If the Intakes are the same way the intake comes off fairly wasy and you can look in and see the valves and do a visual conformation

Tom

·
Registered
333 Posts
What kind of gap do you have ?

I would drop a cheap Fusion 2.5 in there

Tom
What year Fusion 2.5 is good for the swap into an 05-07 car?
Bolts up to the MTX75?
Need 2.5 ECU or my stock 2.0 ECU? Is the fusion drive by wire, or can you use a TB with a cable?
Getting a hold of the engine might be the cheap part, but what else is involved in the swap?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bolts up to the MTX75?
Need 2.5 ECU or my stock 2.0 ECU? Is the fusion drive by wire, or can you use a TB with a cable?
Getting a hold of the engine might be the cheap part, but what else is involved in the swap?
I would like to know too, I have 2 06's & a 07. The 07 has a manual transmission though.

·
FF Affiliate
30,152 Posts
Bolts up to the MTX75?
2011-2014 Ford fusion 2.5

Yes direct bolt up to the MTX-75

Use the ECU you have and a Custom Tune , I can help with that

There is many post about this if you search , you have to change to a 2.3 timing cover , use your balancer , massive has the VCT delete and plug as well as the throttle body adapter , read up on it then decide

Tom

·
Registered
333 Posts
2011-2014 Ford fusion 2.5

Yes direct bolt up to the MTX-75

Use the ECU you have and a Custom Tune , I can help with that

There is many post about this if you search , you have to change to a 2.3 timing cover , use your balancer , massive has the VCT delete and plug as well as the throttle body adapter , read up on it then decide

Tom
Cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For some reason I quit getting emails showing replies to my post. This car is an ongoing project I'm working on in my spare time. I just got out to the garage tonight and got the intake off and you can see the valves are not seating all the way. I took the cams off and saw some scoring on the exhaust cam and some on the head and the cap. Is there anything to for this? Does the head shop take care of this or is the head screwed. I haven't tore this far into an engine in quite some time. It's been years ago since I tore into my power stroke to put in a new egr cooler and oil cooler. Most of what I've done has been timing chains, belts and water pumps etc on these types of engines. I feel like I'm in it too deep to give up now. Am I looking at new cams along with the valve job or is my head toast or what. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts