Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about puting a 2.3 in my 2005 zx3. i was just wondering what i would all need to do for this. Along the lines of computer trans, wireing or any thing else

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Not telling you what to do, just consider that it's a hefty price tag for 15 more horsepower.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
not really more affective, but because the engine is larger you get more gains...

and i am planning on a 2.3L swap this winter... theres 20hp difference between the 2.0 and 2.3L and if you sell your 2.0 afterwards, you'll get back most of what you paid for in the 2.3L

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Its a direct bolt-up. The 2.0 and 2.3 bolts up to the frame in the exact same ways with the exact same mounts and are mounted to the same transmissions as well. One of the main things you need to tune the 2.0 PCM for are dual intake runners which the 2.0 intake manifold does not have.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
According to autotrader:

Advantages of Focus ST4dr Sdn ZX4 compared to Focus S3dr Cpe ZX3
15 more horsepower (151 vs 136).
21 more ft/lbs of torque (154 vs 133).
Performance tires standard, versus not available.
4 Wheel ABS standard, versus 4 Wheel ABS available.
4 Wheel Disc Brakes standard, versus Front Disc Brakes standard.
Traction control standard, versus not available.
Single Zone Front AC standard, versus Single Zone Front AC available.
Remote keyless entry standard, versus not available.
Cruise control standard, versus not available.
Power windows standard, versus not available.
Power mirrors standard, versus not available.
Heated mirrors standard, versus not available.
Aluminum Wheels standard, versus Specialty wheels not available.
6.7 inches longer (175.2 vs 168.5 which may be an advantage).

Disadvantages of Focus ST4dr Sdn ZX4 compared to Focus S3dr Cpe ZX3
As configured, the MSRP is $4755 greater ($18220 vs $13465).
4 mpg lower fuel economy in the city (22 versus 26).
4 mpg lower fuel economy on the highway (31 versus 35).
56 less miles cruising range in the city (308 vs 364).
56 less miles cruising on the highway (434 vs 490).
117 pound(s) more base curb weight (2738 vs 2621).

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
i would switch to a 2.3 if i could. the gains are better. more power.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am looking to do this with a 2000 zx3 and i am curious as to how much more work might be involved? And what all do I need to switch. I know that I would need a transmission with the correct bell housing, but what about shifter and cables, wiring, ecu, drive shafts, etc.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
in a 2000, it may be better to just switch to a SVT motor... instead... the GEM modules may-be different and thus would cause issues within the PCM and the car... but im not sure on that, thats just a small guess at would could happen.

and i honestly think if you go from a 2.0 to a 2.3 and install the cosworth intake manifold along with the 2.3, to remove the need of the part of the harness for the valve ontop of the intake manifold, and then have the 2.0 PCM tuned to run the 2.3, you should be set to go... but thats a good guess.. and i dont see why it wouldnt work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
that all makes sense with the ecu, but what about drive axles, engine mounts and shift and shift cables. Would I be able to use what I currently have in my car? Or would I need to make sure I got all those things from the donor vehicle?

Also do you guys know of anyone that might have already done this?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the member besthaticoulddo, did a zetec to SVT conversion. and there are few others also.

the axles should be the same, but maybe different, sinse the SVT motor has a getrag, and a zetec has a mtx75... but the mounts should be the same, except maybe the P/S may-be different.

·
Registered
124 Posts
no not looking to go from Zetec to SVT. Looking to go from Zetec to 2.3L Duratec

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... don't the '03-'04 2.3L Duratecs mount up different than the ST Duratecs?

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... don't the '03-'04 2.3L Duratecs mount up different than the ST Duratecs?
No.

Swapping from a Zetec to a Duratec would be the hardest swap mentioned in this thread. You'd basically need a whole car to do the swap properly. It would not be a good idea. If you want a Duratec, then sell the Zetec and get one that was made with that engine from the factory.

Now, for swapping a 2.3 into a car with a Duratec 2.0, that's a breeze. I'd do a lot of shopping around though. Yes you can reprogram the PCM, however, you can also find junkyard engines that will come with the PCM. That part is basically worthless to a junkyard. We have a yard that deals specifically in Fords here in Memphis, they sell engines with the engine harness, and PCM. The manager told me it cut down on some potential returns, and they just generally crushed cars after the engine and trans were removed.

My favorite way to get an engine for a swap is to find a wrecked vehicle. That takes longer, but if you can wait and suffer through hundreds of classifieds, eventually it will be worth it. Not only do you have a ton of extra parts, you can sell some of those extra parts to make up for the cost of the vehicle. You'd be surprised how cheap wrecked cars really are- even outside of auctions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts