Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone, I am brand new to the board. My g/f and I have an 07 2.0L. My end goal with the car is just something fun to drive with a little bit of power, not really looking to boost it in any way. I guess my question is, what sort of power can you achieve by leaving a 2.0 duratec NA within a reasonable budget? I know I am being pretty vague sorry. I am just looking to make this a fun little car for when we go on our usual drives, and want something with a little more get up.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
^^^ great info.

Budget build: Used CAI from the forums ($100), OBX Header ($250), Tune ($400ish), your choice of 2.5" exhaust ($varies). That should put you in the mid 130's for whp and wtq and make for a really fun car

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. After thinking about it a little more, I think I am going to pickup a donor motor from one of the many you pull it yards or used car parts and throw some new rods/pistons in it, cams and a few other supporting mods and boost it. I've got a couple years before it'd paid off so it gives me some time to build it correctly.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thanks for the replies. After thinking about it a little more, I think I am going to pickup a donor motor from one of the many you pull it yards or used car parts and throw some new rods/pistons in it, cams and a few other supporting mods and boost it. I've got a couple years before it'd paid off so it gives me some time to build it correctly.
Start w/ a 23 if your going that way. Have more hp/grunt & costs the same if not slightly cheaper then a 20. Sounds great, but have you figured out the cost of your build. Of course you'll want to do the suspension & powertrain upgrades to go w/ your motor.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
I would start with the 2.5 bottom end and 2.3 head , stock 2.3 cams if you going for boost this will be the best and cost about the same as a 2.0 or 2.3 build

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the 2.5 bottom end? Would it need stouter rods and pistons in the 300whp / 250-300 ft/lbs range? After reading I see the stock rods on the 2.0 are good for about 260 ft/lbs, with a good tune ofcourse but how the stock rods on the 2.5?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I was going to go the 2.5 bottom end w/2.3 head, should I just get a 2.5 short block? I ask because I'm not sure if the accessories from the 2.0 will bolt up to the 2.5/2.3. Not sure how they made the 2.5, is is just a bored and/or stroked 2.0? My main reasoning for going with the 2.0 was simplicity i.e same motor mounts, accessories etc but, if it's just a bored and stroked 2.0 it would be easy.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
bored and stroked 2.3. The 2.3 and 2.5 share the same slightly taller deck height.

Massive sells a VCT delete kit if you want to use the 2.5 head. Then youd need to figure out which intake manifold (supposedly too big for a cossie) and some way to mount the TB and IAC. On the other hand, a focus 2.3 head would simplify things but doesnt flow as well as the 2.5 head. Havent seen enough hard data to say which is better but each has its pros and cons.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
If street Focus with some racing use the 2.5 bottom and 2.3 head

If you building a race car and doing 3500 rpm and up racing then use the 2.5 bottom end and the 2.5 head with a custom intake manifold and it will work very well

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely appreciate all the input so far, still trying to figure out which way I want to go. I did just call a local used auto parts yard that's just down the street from me and they have a 2.0 from an 06, just missing the valve cover and intake mani for $175 + $50 core.

·
Registered
19 Posts
0-60 1.2 seconds
0-100 2.4 seconds?
1/4 mile 7.2 seconds @ 198.9 mph
Runs on methanol
x8 1600cc injectors
x4 2100cc injectors
Uses Mazda MZR Heads and Blocks

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
If you do the 1500HP divided by 2.3 then times 2.5 he would be making over 1600HP with the same boost and just the larger 2.5

There is no substitute for cubic inches

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Indy cars are making a LOT more with smaller then 2.0 , I saw a 1.0L making over 600 some years back it all come down to how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$ you want to spend

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts