Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

im planning to upgrade my current 2001 1.6 zetec to a 2.0 zetec from a similar year, got an idea how im gonna do it, just wanted to run a few things past some people who have done this kinda thing before.

Im planning to add a turbo but was wondering how much boost would be safe to use if i wanted to use it as a day to day runner? and what size injectors would be a good match?

i read that you need to reduce the compression to somewhere between 7.2:1 and 9:1 when running a turbo on the zetec is this true? and reducing it by slightly overboreing the cylinders and using Vauxhall C20LET pistons from the Cavalier should do the trick, any thoughts?

also was wondering about strengthening the bottom end, is this going to be necessary as i heard the 2.0 zetec is a bit of a beast? how far am i going to have to go to be safe?

and finally how much power can the MTX75 tranny take?

i want to do this properly and not cut any corners, so any advice you have will be great!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i dont have any FI but i would say 42lb injectors, you cant bore out the 2.0 zetec, i think you can stroke it though. im sure you could just order a thicker head gasket and reduce compression quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
8.1 or 9.1 is where you want it for our Focus.
How much WHp are you looking for?
I would look into if the 1.6L Zetec is the same as an 2.0L because all the different would be the CC size like 2.0L st170 and zetec manual and auto are 1988CC and the 1.8L manual is 1792CC so all it is the pistons size
So I wouldn't be going out and buying parts until you know what you need man

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the 2.0 L zetec can handle about 15 psi, but i would recommend 12 for daily driving. you can make around 250 whp b4 you start breaking stuff. and the mtx can handle way more than you can throw at it!

·
Banned
143 Posts
why not just turbo or supercharge the 1.6? you will still get decent power and it will be much cheaper than swapping the engine and then adding a turbo. or if you must get a bigger engine, get one with a turbo from the factory and upgrade that. then you wont have to go down the expensive route of retro fitting a turbo and all the associated parts (injectors, clutch, piping, bov...) and tuning.

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
i didnt even no they made a 1.6 focus....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
i didnt even no they made a 1.6 focus....
Only in the UK I also beleive they make an 1.4L as well???? but, U.S and Canada gets the 2.3L manual as we only get the 1.8L and 2.0L Zetec oh and the 2.5turbo like big deal.

why not just turbo or supercharge the 1.6? you will still get decent power and it will be much cheaper than swapping the engine and then adding a turbo. or if you must get a bigger engine, get one with a turbo from the factory and upgrade that. then you wont have to go down the expensive route of retro fitting a turbo and all the associated parts (injectors, clutch, piping, bov...) and tuning.
Yeah the ST225 or XR5 from the factory...lol
Also if he changes the engine then he'll need that engine ECU as well.
I would trade in the Focus and get a focus 2.0L manual, just because all the aftermarket parts are for 2.0L

·
Registered
247 Posts
ok if ur doing an engine swap y not put forged bottom end in and not have to worry about the boost??? i dont know y watson said that u cannot bore because it its a typical engine and its usually safe to .030 over. 42lbs injector should be able to hold more boost than a daily driver could handle. reducing the compression is great it ur gonna run a lot of boost but if ur running 12-15psi or 1 bar ish, Id keep the same compression cause ud just be losing power, and if u do go with higher boost 8.5:1 is a geat place to be. the trans, ive heard of people on the forum puttin around 500 horse without a problem, but i would not put 500 WHP without an LSD. Further more u need to set a goal and if u race make sure that u know the requirements for the races u want to be in, because u should do it right, and do it once =) good luck

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i dont know y watson said that u cannot bore because it its a typical engine and its usually safe to .030 over.
ive heard something about the water jackets being to close or something. heard it from reputable FF

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
^^^^ That's why I said about the CC size.
You wouldn't need an CGI block because our euro Focus comes with better parts.

since we're talking about boost I own an set of WRC Cosworth Zetec piston 8.5.1 compression and I have FR st3 NA cams so I want to know is will the cams work with boost???? will they brake????

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
ive heard the cams are pretty much a waste with boost, unless made for FI and still have little effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im looking for about 200 WHP,

thats made me happy bout not having to do anything to the bottom end or the tranny!!

just thinking about the ECU, was planning to use a custom, but would the stock ECU do the trick?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i'm sure you could have 200whp with the stock ECU. IMO the best tune is from Focus Sport, the SCT Xcal 2. unless, of course, you could get dyno tuned with some cam gears locally. you definatly would have to go FI if you wanted the 200whp to be a daily driver (you would spend alot less money that way IMO). it would be extremely expensive to do a n/a setup with 200whp with our motor, plus it wouldnt be streetable at all.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
since we're talking about boost I own an set of WRC Cosworth Zetec piston 8.5.1 compression and I have FR st3 NA cams so I want to know is will the cams work with boost???? will they brake????
You might be whistling boost between the valves but sure they will work [hihi]

As far as a turbo'd 1.6, someone has to have one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts