Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ZX3 with the 2.0 Zetec engine. I replaced the crank (front) and camshaft seals and I'm going back together with everything with a new timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, idler pulley), but I have a couple questions I haven't seen answered anywhere. Here's what I'm doing:
  • With the cam sprockets free, I set the belt tensioner so the mark is within the u-shaped section.
  • I remove the camshaft timing bar.
  • Using a 15/16" wrench to hold the exhaust cam, I torque the sprocket bolt and then do the same to the intake cam.
  • Reinstall camshaft timing bar to verify cams are correct (bar goes into both cams)
  • Remove timing bar and crank pin.
  • Rotate engine a few times via crank pulley bolt.
  • Reinstall crank pin.
At this point, the camshaft timing bar usually fits into the intake or exhaust cam but not both. Another thing I notice is that the arrow on the tensioner is no longer within the u-shaped section.

Is there a cam sprocket I should tighten down first?
Should I readjust the tensioner after tightening the cam sprocket bolts?

·
Registered
16,022 Posts
'Should I readjust the tensioner after tightening the cam sprocket bolts?'

You can. Before you do, rotate in direction of engine rotation (clockwise) and slowly stop so you preserve all slack right at the tensioner, then readjust it. I often do it twice to make sure all slack is removed AFTER the sprockets are tight.

You are holding the cam in place while tightening it, but the sprocket itself moves due to friction at the big washer bolt, why the bar does not again fit both slots. If pretty close a normal zetec will run likely fine but a SVT will pop codes, they need to be exact.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts