Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the whole Focus thing but I constantly read about members saying they'd much rather have the 2.3 than the 2.0 Duratech engine, is there something about the 2.3 that's different other that 3/10's of a liter or am I missing the big picture here ??? If it's a question of displacement 3/10's of a liter is not exactly going to help you burn the hides off your car and if I'm not mistaken it could easily be obtained with an overbore on a 2.0 much cheaper than hunting down a 2.3 to swap into your car............just curious [???:)]

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
sonaflubber said:
, is there something about the 2.3 that's different other that 3/10's of a liter
2.3 vs. 2.0 = >hp & >torque

So this begs the question:

Given the choice, why would someone would want LESS hp and LESS torque?

Engine--Duratec20 16V--Duratec20E 16V--Duratec23 16V
[email protected]@[email protected] 5750
[email protected]@[email protected]

... it could easily be obtained with an overbore on a 2.0 much cheaper than hunting down a 2.3 to swap into your car..........[???:)]
"Hunting down a 2.3"?

Heh listen friend, I don't think that anybody here is actually telling people to go and "swap out an engine" for the 2.3.

It's just that, if someone had the choice ....

The 2.3 is the obvious way to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: Re: 2.0 vs 2.3 question

firemanfrank said:
"Hunting down a 2.3"?

Heh listen friend, I don't think that anybody here is actually telling people to go and "swap out an engine" for the 2.3.

The 2.3 is the obvious way to go. [/B]
I have to agree, if you had a choice as a base for your car why wouldn't you want the extra hp and torque? I mean then your ahead at the beginning! and with the same mods your still ahead. I'd have to completely agree with frank, don't go looking to swap out you 2.0l for a 2.3l if your 2.0l hasn't blown up. But if you don't have a focus and you're looking to get one, get one with the 2.3l for sheezy! lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Listen Friend ? What's up with that.......first of all I don't know you, and second judging by the way you address people I doubt that you're a friend of mine there boy genius . At any rate, you never answered the question , you just got defensive, as if you must somehow feel some kind of inadequacy.....hmmmmmmm.......wonder what that might be ????? I asked if there was a difference in the two powerplants beyond the basic 3/10's of a liter that made the 2.3 more attractive......Friend. I might add the fact that when it comes to "street driving" torque is where it's at and I don't really see any appreciable difference that would cause me to have a high hard one over the 2.3 liter in the torque dept. Friend.......

·
Registered
60 Posts
/You're the one who is sounding pretty defensice and like they're over compensating for something. If that was directed at me, I can't see anything I posted to warrant that, and if it was directed anywhere else I don't follow the statement anyway. You asked the question was answered by others there's no need to flame somebody's opinion. "Friend"

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
sonaflubber said:
Hey Listen Friend ? What's up with that.......
First off, if you're quoting me, you should have put quotation marks around my reply. It just makes it easier for other people to understand when they're reading the thread.

Secondly, would you have rather have had me say "Heh, listen enemy...".

No, I don't think so.

Third off, how old are you? 16? 13?

It's because of your lousy and immature attitude that I had to ask (I say this, offering no disrespect to the more mature and respectable younger peeps who frequent these boards!).

first of all I don't know you,
Thanks for the heads up there S/F! Writing to you on an worldwide forum, I would never have guessed that! (BTW, using the word "friend" is just a common courtesy ... if you know what the word "courtesy" means)

and second judging by the way you address people I doubt that you're a friend of mine there boy genius.
I stand corrected, you must in fact know me. Because only my closest friends know that I am a genius!

At any rate, you never answered the question,
Wrong. I did.

Re-read my post.

you just got defensive, as if you must somehow feel some kind of inadequacy.....hmmmmmmm.......wonder what that might be ?????
Keep typing away there buddy (uh-oh, I callled him buddy!)

Because I honestly believe that you are on the verge of almost making sense!

I asked if there was a difference in the two powerplants beyond the basic 3/10's of a liter that made the 2.3 more attractive......Friend. I might add the fact that when it comes to "street driving" torque is where it's at and I don't really see any appreciable difference that would cause me to have a high hard one over the 2.3 liter in the torque dept. Friend.......
Heh, If I can't call you friend even once, then how come YOU like to use it so much?

LOLOLOLOL

Seriously though, I'd love to talk to you more .....

When you've grow up.

PEACE

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
shawn_carter69 said:
/You're the one who is sounding pretty defensice and like they're over compensating for something. If that was directed at me, I can't see anything I posted to warrant that, and if it was directed anywhere else I don't follow the statement anyway. You asked the question was answered by others there's no need to flame somebody's opinion. "Friend"
Thanks S/C!

For a minute there, I thought that I had done something wrong ....

(Well, ok. I DIDN'T really think that I had done something wrong. I knew all along that flubbs had "issues"!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fair enough, not neccessarily the question posed but I could see that as a goal. I just don't understand when ppl get all mad when you ask for somebody's opinion and then you don't like it so you take it out on them. That's all.

Fair enough point though.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
So, after reading this thread I don't think the question of how the 2.3 makes 21 hp more than the 2.0 was answered. Is this strictly displacement-induced horsepower or are there other variables such as cam timing or compression that make a difference. Does 300 cc actually make up that much additional horsepower?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Speaking of an ST (may or may not apply to an '03-'04 PZEV 2.3L)

1) Larger Displacement
2) Slightly better exhaust
3) Slightly better head (per Walter Marcy)
4) Slightly more agressive tune
5) Longer stroke?? (some of you engine heads could speak better to this one)

A couple of points directed at my *friend*, the OP (flubber):

1) You're seem to be stuck in your built V8 thinking. Sure an extra 18 Ft Lbs of Torque won't sound like much from where you've come from, but in these smaller & lighter cars it does make a difference. In fact, just 8-10 extra HP & Torque makes a difference - just read the hundreds of happy posts from those who have installed a CAI. Start thinking in PERCENTAGES not raw numbers. Stock to stock, 2.3L has almost 15% more torque than the 2.0L. A similar percentage difference in a V8 with 350Ft Lbs of Torque would amount to an extra 50!

Best of all, it doesn't really matter if you have the 2.0L or the 2.3L as they both repond very equally well to mods!

2) If you read back over the last year or so here at FF I think you'll find the Fireman to be a straight-up guy. IMHO, searching for double or hidden meanings in his posts would be a total waste of time.

If you are a web forum newb I suggest for your ongoing mental health that you consume replys much like you do chicken: eat the meat and spit out the bones. (not to imply Frank is poultry!)

If you are not a web forum newb then I would suggest having a beer or two before posting! [;)]

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Re: Re: 2.0 vs 2.3 question

firemanfrank said:
2.3 vs. 2.0 = >hp & >torque

So this begs the question:

Given the choice, why would someone would want LESS hp and LESS torque?

Engine--Duratec20 16V--Duratec20E 16V--Duratec23 16V
[email protected]@[email protected] 5750
[email protected]@[email protected]

"Hunting down a 2.3"?

The 2.3 is the obvious way to go.
I know this is pff subject and is kinda nosey but if you don't mind me asking what part of New York are you a fireman at?? I finally watched the DVD 9/11 that my friend let me borrow and it freaked me out bad... and I was just wondering is all... sorry if it's too personal of a question.

·
Registered
672 Posts
There's an 18 cubic inch difference, which generally would relate to 18 fp torque. It would take full intake and exhaust mods to get close to that. This way, if you're buying, get it free. Just try driving both engines and you will really feel the difference

1 - 20 of 34 Posts