Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2.0 to 2.3 swap

29K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 ·
Okay looking to swap out the 2.0 in my 06 focus to a 2.3 also swap in the 5 speed manual and throw out the auto. Just a quick question I tried doing some research but keep getting a few different answers on the forum. To make life easier on me I am going to do the swap with a complete engine that means the wire harness and ecu and all that good stuff. So any way like if I got the whole engine complete with ecu and wire harness the intake mani and exhaust mani and all that stuff, and then I know the passenger mount needs to be .5 higher or just use the 2.3 mount. What else will I need for the swap? I got all the atx to mtx stuff down just confused on the engine part lol.

#3 ·
Hey Rockstar, I'm actually doing the same swap right now. My car has been in the shop for about a week now and we're still in the planning phase. They're chatting with a focus expert tomorrow to make sure all the parts I'm going to need, but as soon as I know, I'll re-post here. I'm extremely surprised there isn't already a how-to for this!!

#7 ·
Hey Tom, yea I know that but I have also heard people complain about CEL coming on when they do a manual swap. Like they have a tune already for the new tranny but it still goes on so I just figured might be best to change to the manual ecu. But you know better than me could you fix that problem with a tune?

#10 ·
Well, bad news :/ I got a call from the shop today and they had someone who knows foci really well, and he said that I would need all new harnesses and that they would have to redo all the wiring in the engine. Thats a little bit more expensive than I'd be willing to spend. Sooo... It looks like I'm gonna just stick with the 2.0 :'(

#12 ·
im planning on doing this swap. i can tell you for a fact that atleast engine wise ALL WIRING is the same. they are the same exact engines , with the exception the displacment is a little bigger , all connections are exaclty the same. take it from us guys here on the forum and not those guys at the shop. your better off taking it to someone who knows there shit or just do it yourself. that shop just trying to get more money out of you.

so to sum it all up unbolt your engine , bolt in new engine , shim engine mount , tune , done. someone please correct me if im wrong.

#13 ·
I did this swap in my car and you do have to do the things as stated above....but I did find you only need to change the engine side of the harness for the 2.3 since it has IMTV AND IMRC(tumble flaps). The 2.0 only has IMRC so the 2.0 harness will technically work, but it only has the one connector for the IMRC. The 2.3 harness plugs into the vehicle harness without changes as well as the 2.3 PCM plugs into the original harness in the car so changing the harness that passes through the firewall is unnecessary. The only other thing you will have to do is have your keys reprogramed to the 2.3 PCM or your car will not start.

#27 ·
Trans , clutch , Fly are the same from what I have seen

Tom
Hey there. Im planning to do this swap in a few months, if i want to go about tuning the 2.3 once its installed. What exactly do i need to tune it if you can help out with the tune?, unless i can temporarily run the car enough to get it to a shop to do it?, i will be doing in my garage, hence the question.

#26 ·
Yea, then you'd have a 23 w/ a 20 head,,,,,,,You want to run the 23 i/m for sure,,,,,,,,
I/M? what exactly IS that? and why run a d23 with a d20 head or is that how it just comes originally ? because I have a thread open with the exact same issue
The OP mentioned a Ranger 23 motor which uses a 20 head.

#30 ·
I mail you a X4 Flasher that loads Tunes , Datalogs , I email you a Base Tune File and a Datalog List , you do the requested Datalogs and email them to me , I look them over , Make changes then email you back a Custom Tune , we do this till you have a proper safe Tune , Same way you would be Tuned sitting on a Dyno

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.