Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 02 LX 2.0 SPI 75k miles perfect exterior interior bought for $550 with what sounded to me like a slight rod knock from a buddy. Good deal right? I start to diagnose, subscribe here, read all i can to figure it out. The Knock sounds like its coming from mid engine and is only on start-up and 3k rpm or better and under load, oh and when it has back pressure. So I pull oil pan, i see shavings, #4 rod bearing and #5 Crankshaft bearing(closest to Tranny) are intact but lots of metal ground into them(rest are great!!) #4 Rod Bearing Cap is discolored...AHH HAA!!! Got it, replace both bearings, new oil, filter, no hange, still knocking. Read about valve issue, check compression, 195-195-195-180 on #4 Order a head, its on its way so i pull old one today, expecting to see carnage. To my surprise, Nothing! Piston isn't pitted, turned revolutions on head, cant see any differences between ANY of the valves and their seats. I'm a little scared. Anything anybody wants to throw out there? I mean i know the factory head had to go anyway, but could something else have caused the noise? Could the head have been on its way to dropping that seat and i just cant see it? If not how did the metal get in the bearings? I listened with a mechanics stethscope and it def. sounded like mid engine b/w head and top of block. Just am gonna be pissed if i put new head on it and it doesn't quit knocking. Thanks for any help anyone can give and thanks to the owners and moderators, this site has been SUPER helpful.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If there is no damage to head or piston then it's not the problem, What you have said sounds like you need crank turned and over sized bearings put back in.. good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah will find out in a few days, i am hoping that the head was "starting" to fail and that was causing the knocking, we'll see when i install.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the best price i could find, it is a complete head, rockers, lifters, valves, camshaft, delivered 3 days from KY to FL for $325, no core charge, you ship back in original box. My local guys wanted like $350 to rebuild it using old parts, clearwater wanted $385 for an INcomplete head, i'd have to use my own cam, etc.... Super nice people too. This is my first order from them and it should be in today.
Will let everyone know how it goes.
http://www.aluminumcylinderhead.com/form_page.htm

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah i dont get the incomplete head dont want to deal with swapping everything.. plus the head with everything isn't much more than complete head.. i think i paid 350 for a incomplete and 400 for complete.. Just make sure they fixed the head i know for fact clearwater does which is main reason i buy from them plus 2 yr warranty..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts