Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the deal with the sohc engine that they cost so much more than the dohc were there just not that many made? I cant decide what to do with mine should i rebuild it or get a used sohc or do the swap to a dohc i cant decide anyone have a preferance.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The reason that an SPI motor is so expensive is that the valve seat drops, mainly in cylinder four, and grenaded all of them. It was a design flaw. So, any of them that are left are rare things and more money.

I would say that if your motor isn't totally trashed it could be worth rebuilding, but if it is all scored up or anything like that then you might want to think about going for a more reliable, less expensive Zetec. Even better is if you can get your hands on a good SVT motor.

If you really want to get into something big then you could look at swapping in something like the Contour V6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that is what i was thinking they were rare thats why the cost is so much. my crank was scared up pretty bad and it knocked a hole in the oil pan so it would be a major overhaul so i think i will look for another route maybe a swap out for a dohc. what all is needed to change over for one of those?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did a swap with the same vehicle. The car runs great and i only ended up spend about 600 for the total swap out. The hard part is changing everything else thats wrong...lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sohc to dohc

i found a dohc engine with low miles with the ecu and wiring harness was planning on getting it this weekend and starting the process of a swap out. is there any other parts i should get with it, is the transmission going to mount up the same i also heard somewhere you have to change the axles dont know how true that is

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sohc2002 to dohc2003

the engine and wiring harness that i found were from a 2003 will that cause a problem for my 02 or were the changes between 01-02 only in the harness connections

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the swap

i got the new engine out of a 01 and started the swap today found that the power steering pump and the alternator wernt the same mounts so i am headed back to get those. does anybody know of any other changes that i might run into or any other parts that i will need to pick up to make the swap go any easier?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts