Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I think I have found to solutions to our 2.0 boosting issues.

1. I need to do more research into this one, but the mazda 3's come with stronger pistons than us, obviously soo has anyone looked into getting there pistions to into our motors?

2. Looking around I found a company across the pond that sells rods and pistions that after talking to them via email they will fit our cars, it's not the Zetec renamed as a Duratec as in the RS, it is an actual Duratec motor. $1500 gets them at your door, well atleast mine. pricey but these have been proven to take a beating some of there UK customers us them in Duratec powered kit cars that are laying down some impressive numbers. they even sell 280+ bhp NA motors.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
the duratec rs is nothing more than a glorified zetec and is a step backwards from the duratec.

they don't sell the mazda3/6 internals separately, whole motors only. they'd also be pointless as they'd be more money and less performance than the aftermarket stuff available.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aero_student said:
the duratec rs is nothing more than a glorified zetec and is a step backwards from the duratec.

they don't sell the mazda3/6 internals separately, whole motors only. they'd also be pointless as they'd be more money and less performance than the aftermarket stuff available.
yeah I know the duratec RS is just a glorified Zetec, I was trying to clarify that it was an actually Duratec and not the RS one.

Now the mazda 3/6 internals I didn't know that you couldn't purchase them separately

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
http://www.importperformanceparts.net, I can't link to the page, but you'll find it.

For some reason Supertech seems to think that the 2.3 pistons will work in a 2.0 with slightly lower compression. I'd give Supertech a call or email Direboi. There's nothing like knowing firsthand.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
it'd be a waste, the ecu can't control the vct and it would make much more sense and power to build a 2.3 focus motor.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The next question is, if we do an 2.0 to a 2.3 swap, aside from the motor, what would we need? I'm not sure if the wiring is the same let alone, if we need and engine tune or the 2.3 ecu.

Personally I'd like to keep my stock displacement and just build up the insides, yes I know I could get more power with a larger motor but thats not what I'm aiming for, I want the peace of mind that my bottom end isn't gonna drop

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Just buy a built 2.3 and have a GOOD tuner work up a proper tune for you.

The harness and ecu(physical unit) are the same, the issue is the programming.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
vct = the suck for boost...

but on that statement, im planningon dropping a mazda mazdaspeed6 motor and turbo in my car.. i know it can work. i just need about 8,000 dollars

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aero_student said:
Just buy a built 2.3 and have a GOOD tuner work up a proper tune for you.

The harness and ecu(physical unit) are the same, the issue is the programming.
thats the thing, I don't want to buy a 2.3 there is a lot more money invovled in buying a built motor than beefing up what you already have. as 2.0 owners we shouldn't have to go through this kind of hastle to build up our cars when we make the majority of motors for the 05+ foci.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You're going to pay the same price for a built 2.0 as a 2.3, maybe less for a 2.3

If you're going to build the bottom end you still want to have everything professionally balanced and assembled. The process is the same for both motors. You don't just slap parts together.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
direboi said:
thats the thing, I don't want to buy a 2.3 there is a lot more money invovled in buying a built motor than beefing up what you already have. as 2.0 owners we shouldn't have to go through this kind of hastle to build up our cars when we make the majority of motors for the 05+ foci.
Maybe- maybe not. I'd call around to local junkyards and also check out insurance auctions in nearby areas. For example, I missed out on a 04 ZTS at an auction in Alabama that my friend goes to, the car sold for $300. It had been hit in the driver's rear quarter and needed too many body parts to be very profitable. I didn't know at the time that these came with PZEV motors. It might take some digging to find someone who knows the right places to go, but I'm sure if you put your mind to it you could find something worth getting.

Imagine finding a rear-ended, rolled over ST for less than $400. It's not as uncommon as you might think, and you'd have everthing you'd need right there if it has the same transmission. Keep in mind that the crank position sensor would have to be flipped, or turned or something so it will work when trasferring between transmissions if that happens. You could also end up with some parts that you could sell in the paper to cover your cost of the car- that's how the junkyard business works [thumb]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts