Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now,,i went on this website here and looked at the cold air intake thing for the durartech,,well i done it but a little differnt way..kinda made a short ram intake,,i removed the whole system,,took the pipe that has the maf sensor in it..cutt it in half and installed my APC cone filter on it and stuck the other end into the rubber part on the throttle body,,so from the throttle body to the end of the filter is about 2 and a half feet altogether..i rehooked the maf sensor plug back in and started engine..sounded really cool but i took it around the block and when u hit the gas it took off but at like 3 grand it would bog down and then go to 2nd gear and same thing in all gears,,,i came back,,opened hood and unhooked sensor plug...started engine and ran around the block again..sounded good and ran good...but will this do any damage having the maf unpluged???

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
no but the computer can't tell how much air is comming in, and there for is guessing on how much fuel to add.

and on this type of MAFs system you really should have not cut the maf tube becuase it creates a venturi effect and makes the maf perform properly.

do you have an auto or manual?

if you have an auto moving the MAF could have serisouly cuased a problem becuase the transmission computer uses a zillion different inputs to know when to shift.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The MAF tells the comp how much air is moving into the intake manifold. With that said the computer knows how much air is going through.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
well the car was bogging down because of heat it was sucking in the hot air and that caused it to bogg. also u kinda do need that maf sensor pluged in so the car nows what the hell is going on and i would think that u are gonna throw CEL from it not being pluged in. on another note do u want to come to club focal-points dyno day in NC on the saturday of labor day weekend

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i figured out what it was,,ok,,ill explain,,i removed the whole air induction assembly off the car,,(factory stuff) i took the lower pipe off that has the maf sensor in it...i cutt it at the smallest diameter so that the cone filter would fit over it,,,i installed it into the boot on the throttle body,,,now when i did this i thought a maf sensor was something that just stuck out into the air duct and measured air flow...but if u look thru the tube and see the maf sensor u will notice something about it...that does matter alot...its only designed to capture flow thru one side of the sensor,,,so if u look thru the pipe on one side u will see the hole where the air goes in and it measures flow,,if u flip the pipe over and look thru the other side u will only see flat plastic...no hole...so when i reinstalled the pipe i somehow got it turned around and the air flow hole was facing the throttle body so thats why the sensor was not senseing air.. therefore making the car run like crap...now i went to ford,,they wanted 129$ for the piece of pipe,,cost so much cause it comes with the maf sensor and u cant get it alone....so i told them forget that...went home,,removed the pipe...took the sensor out and turned it around and reinstalled it....now the screw holes wont mount up so i had to tape it on till i get one off a wrecked car or something...lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is why we do our homework before we do mods...

There are many write up for "stealth" intakes, that use a cone filter with just the stock MAF.

Good luck getting it all fixed.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah but they also keep the resionator thing in there also..i was just trying to get rid of anything i could. and i did and i figured it out...but thanks to all that tried to help

·
Registered
496 Posts
The "Resonator thing" will have no negative effect on the air flow. It's a straight through tube with no restrictions inside.
If you are concerned about the 3 little depressions attaching it to the outer box, cover them with aluminum tape.

You probably took out the white plastic screen also. This is used to "smooth" the air flow over the MAF sensor for a more accurate reading.
Ford knows what their doing when it comes to these things. Some improvements can be made, but short of replacing the MAF with an aftermarket one, you shouldn't try to modify things too much.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I managed to take the "Resonator Thing" out cut the maf tube and mount it without turning it around on my car a while back. It's been running perfectly fine since then. But I do agree with polar, a simple search would have prevented this from happening. I'll search for the thread that was about making your own SRI, and post it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts