Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm still in the process of building my 2.0 turbo duratec motor. It's pretty much ready for assembly except I haven't decided what I want to do for pistons. Yes I could bite the bullet and go for some Weisco pistons, but I thought I'd post up this question first.

The Mazdaspeed 2.3 to my understanding is basically the same engine as the duratec 2.0 except for a larger stroke, direct port injection, a turbo, and a few other small things. NOW THE QUESTION: Is the wrist pin diameter the same, and would the difference in stroke make such a huge difference for the compression ratio? I know the stock pistons are a 9.5:1 hypereutectic unit. I'm not sure on the measurements needed to punch in to a compression calculator to figure this out.

I hope someone out there has something to say on this!

Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or can I just re-use the factory 2.0 duratec pistons, and will they be stout enough to hold 17-18 psi? I already have a set of beefy forged rods to hold the power. I will likely couple some water meth with this turbo kit.

·
FF Affiliate
31,091 Posts
No you cannot use the 2.3 Pistons and no the stock Pistons wont hold anything over about 10-12 psi MAX

If your going for that kind of boost you need

Eagle rods
Forged Pistons
ARP head and Main studs

Use the 2.3 head

Tom

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tom,
I was planning on doing ARP hardware. Will any forged piston fit the bill, be it 4032 or 4340 forged?

·
FF Affiliate
31,091 Posts
4340 is more for steel the 4032 or 2036 I think it is will be fine , just stay with companies like weisco , probe , JE , CP etc etc and you cant go wrong

Figure up what a short block is going to cost then it your interested I can give you a quote as well

Have you thought about doing a 2.3 instead of the 2.0 for even more TQ and HP

Tom

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have a complete 2.0 motor. It's torn down and ready for assembly, except for the decision on pistons. I should have done a 2.3, but my budget didn't really allow that. Also, a little side note, would a 62mm gt35 frame turbo be too large? It's a T3 .63A/R hotside. I'm expecting it to spool late, but I want to make more power on less boost, and a larger turbo is one way to achieve that.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
Imo I would get a smaller turbo. I've ran multiple turbos ranging from a to4b to gt35 on my street car. I settled on a hx35 (about the size of a gt30). The focus fuel system will not support the full power of a gt30 much less a 35. So unless you plan to go crazy just keep the low end torque punch of a smaller turbo for a street car and you won't regret it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I already have a complete 2.0 motor. It's torn down and ready for assembly, except for the decision on pistons. I should have done a 2.3, but my budget didn't really allow that. Also, a little side note, would a 62mm gt35 frame turbo be too large? It's a T3 .63A/R hotside. I'm expecting it to spool late, but I want to make more power on less boost, and a larger turbo is one way to achieve that.

This is a link to both the 2.0 and 2.3 duratec short and long block
The web site also has the zetec set and duratec ti-vct and turbo kits according for the engines and tune flashers and small odd and end pieces the engines for complete long blocks are just under $2000 plus shipping

1 - 8 of 8 Posts