Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just looking for some insight into building my own exhaust (flex pipe back) Looking at doing this dirt cheap as I have access to welders benders etc… Thoughts on 2.25 inch or 2.5 inch tubing, and muffler/resonator setups. Want it to be fairly loud but not a raspy fart can. Thinking just steel to the muffler then stainless from muffler to tip.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Why the change in material part way through?

If you'll never see snow/salt, aluminized steel will work fine. I would never use raw, uncoated steel for an exhaust. 409 is a good compromise on price and aversion to rust. 304 will look brand new after many years, even through salty winters, but will be the priciest.

2.5" would be my recommendation, deeper sound without being overkill. I like a resonator up front near the flex and then a muffler around the fuel tank. Vibrant ultra quiet resonators are really nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why the change in material part way through?

If you'll never see snow/salt, aluminized steel will work fine. I would never use raw, uncoated steel for an exhaust. 409 is a good compromise on price and aversion to rust. 304 will look brand new after many years, even through salty winters, but will be the priciest.

2.5" would be my recommendation, deeper sound without being overkill. I like a resonator up front near the flex and then a muffler around the fuel tank. Vibrant ultra quiet resonators are really nice.
Thanks for the advice… was just thinking stainless back for looks. Car will definitely see a lot of muddy water as I live up a very wet dirt road but I’ll look into coated steel

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks for the advice… was just thinking stainless back for looks. Car will definitely see a lot of muddy water as I live up a very wet dirt road but I’ll look into coated steel
Coated steel should hold up okay to that, but price out 409 stainless too. If not much more... I would use that as a minimum. You'll never have to worry about it rusting on you.

Since you're doing the welding, be mindful of the gas and filler you use. It's a waste to use high quality pipe, and then mild steel wire and C25 gas. The weld will rust while your pipes look new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts