Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we went by the book and had the 1st oil change done by the dealer at a little over 7000miles. Oil wasn't that bad. Never had to add oil up to this point. No problems, no isuues with this car.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Wow. I've already had two oil changes and I'm only at 5,600. First one at 1,000 and second at 5,000. Now I'll change it every 5,000 which is the middle guideline and advised by Ford techs. I think you're the first person I've heard of that has gone that far before getting their first oil change. Best of luck down the road if you continue with the 7,500 mile intervals.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The service tech at my dealer has told me to change at every 10000km (6213 miles) or every six months, whichever comes first. I don't know why they told me that.

The manual says:

Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™
Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ that
determines when the engine oil should be changed based on how your
vehicles is used. By using several important factors in its calculations,
the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduce
environmental waste at the same time. This means you won’t have to
remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule; the vehicle lets
you know when an oil change is due by displaying ENGINE OIL
CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the message center. The
following table is intended to provide examples of vehicle use and its
impact on engine oil change intervals; it is provided as a guideline only.
Actual engine oil change intervals will depend on several factors and will
generally decrease with severity of use.
When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message

Miles (km) Vehicle use and examples:

7500-10000
(12000-16000)
Normal
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load/towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling

5000-7499
(8000-11999)
Severe
– Moderate to heavy load/towing
– Mountainous or off-road conditions
– Extended idling
– Extended hot or cold operation

3000-4999
(4000-7999)
Extreme
– Maximum load/towing
– Extreme hot or cold operation

Assuming that the OP uses his car for normal driving conditions, he's maintenanced his car according to the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Guimpy, mine said to me almost the same thing : 12 000 km or 6 month, whichever comes first. I drove almost 1 700 km a month, so I'll do the 6 month oil change (winter does have its part in this).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ive done 3 already and switched to full synthetic. I'm at 8900 and some change.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
788 Posts
...Best of luck down the road if you continue with the 7,500 mile intervals.
I guess I don't know how to interpret that statement. Are you implying he's going to damage the engine or have issues with warranty claims? The days of manufacturer recommended 3000 or 5000 mile oil change intervals is long gone. Cars and especially oils are now designed to go longer distances between changes. Folks can change their oil as often as they want, it's just not necessary. I changed mine and switched to full synthetic at 3200 and now plan to change every 7500 miles. Flame me if you like, that seems to be the trend now if someone disagrees. I'm sticking to my maintenance plan and I'm sure I will get years of good performance and enjoyment from my Focus.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I guess I don't know how to interpret that statement. Are you implying he's going to damage the engine or have issues with warranty claims? The days of manufacturer recommended 3000 or 5000 mile oil change intervals is long gone. Cars and especially oils are now designed to go longer distances between changes. Folks can change their oil as often as they want, it's just not necessary. I changed mine and switched to full synthetic at 3200 and now plan to change every 7500 miles. Flame me if you like, that seems to be the trend now if someone disagrees. I'm sticking to my maintenance plan and I'm sure I will get years of good performance and enjoyment from my Focus.
Old habits die hard.

My previous car had 7500 mile change intervals. Never had an engine problem in the 170k I kept the car.

Granted, I don't use cheap oil, and I make sure I check my oil level to make sure I'm not losing or burning oil. I think that's the greatest risk for people who use extended intervals.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Old engines using old oil needs service (oil change) more often.
Newer engines using modern oils eg 5w20, 5w30, 0w30 have extended oil service intervals.
My service interval is 20 000 Km or 1 year (whichever comes first) or if the car tells you before then.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dont care what kind of oil you are running you SHOULD never go that long between oil changes, specially on the first or second one, (NOT GOOD) 5000 miles MAX on Mobil 1 full syn. I have 2500 miles on mine and it is going in on monday for it's third oil change.

My changes weer 800, 1500, 2500, and so on the next one well be done at 3000 and no more ever.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Best of luck down the road if you continue with the 7,500 mile intervals.
My last Focus (2003), I only changed the oil every 8,000 miles. I got 262,000+ miles out of her. She never leaked a drop of oil. Switched to full synthetic at 220,000 miles. I also only ever changed the transmission fluids twice, once at 160,000 miles, and once at 210,000. No problems their either. I would still have her if she hadn't gotten in an accident 3 months ago.

I hit 8,000 miles on my 2012 focus today, got her about 9 weeks ago. I'll probably bring her in for a change tomorrow. Get it out of the way before the holidays and rougher winter weather. I work 6 days a week, plus take two night classes. I don't have time for unnecessary vehicle maintenance.

I'll be driving over 40,000 miles a year, which is why I got an SE, cruise control (convenience package), winter package (live in the north east), and SFE. Well to be honest the only car with the just convenience and winter package, also had SFE. I wouldn't have ordered that, but I won't complain about possible better fuel economy either.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't care ...
My changes weer 800, 1500, 2500, and so on the next one well be done at 3000 and no more ever.
And you did your oil changes based on... what ? Your guts feeling ? Because it sure is not based on the manufacturer specs. Yeah, I know the saying "we know better than the ones who designed the car".

P.S. You can change your oil every 100 miles if you like it, I don't really care.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My last Focus (2003), I only changed the oil every 8,000 miles. I got 262,000+ miles out of her. She never leaked a drop of oil. Switched to full synthetic at 220,000 miles. I also only ever changed the transmission fluids twice, once at 160,000 miles, and once at 210,000. No problems their either. I would still have her if she hadn't gotten in an accident 3 months ago.

I hit 8,000 miles on my 2012 focus today, got her about 9 weeks ago. I'll probably bring her in for a change tomorrow. Get it out of the way before the holidays and rougher winter weather. I work 6 days a week, plus take two night classes. I don't have time for unnecessary vehicle maintenance.

I'll be driving over 40,000 miles a year, which is why I got an SE, cruise control (convenience package), winter package (live in the north east), and SFE. Well to be honest the only car with the just convenience and winter package, also had SFE. I wouldn't have ordered that, but I won't complain about possible better fuel economy either.

I got mine in the last few days of may and am just hitting 11k miles...I thought that I was driving some crazy miles hot damn man where the heck are you going?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Wow. I've already had two oil changes and I'm only at 5,600. First one at 1,000 and second at 5,000. Now I'll change it every 5,000 which is the middle guideline and advised by Ford techs. I think you're the first person I've heard of that has gone that far before getting their first oil change. Best of luck down the road if you continue with the 7,500 mile intervals.

Its not necessary to do it that often. A close friend of mine is a Ford engineer and told me that the new cars dont need the initial 1000 mile oil change; before it was necessary as new cut blocks and engine parts had microscopic dust and particles that contaminated the oil, but nowadays manufacturing processes are so streamlined and precise that its all but eliminated this. Also Ford uses some different oil grades and the engines (in other makes too) dont require excessive changes. It wouldnt hurt with this one to change it a little more just because it IS a DI motor and therefore catches more carbon buildup, however 7500 is perfectly fine on this car. I did mine then and it wasnt even dark

·
Registered
182 Posts
Guimpy, mine said to me almost the same thing : 12 000 km or 6 month, whichever comes first. I drove almost 1 700 km a month, so I'll do the 6 month oil change (winter does have its part in this).
They may have told me the same and I may have forgotten. Either way, I will be in the same situation as you and get it done at 6 mths since I don't put a lot of mileage on the car.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You should do the first at 2k and second at 5k then do it every 5k. Rotate tires every 5k too. Easy to track it, better for your car but not crazy.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I dont care what kind of oil you are running you SHOULD never go that long between oil changes, specially on the first or second one, (NOT GOOD) 5000 miles MAX on Mobil 1 full syn. I have 2500 miles on mine and it is going in on monday for it's third oil change.

Seems a bit bizzare.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts