Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi FF,

first post!! ive been lurking here for a while and was inspired to buy a 2012 titanium fully loaded.

my question is regarding snow tires and what i was told at the dealership.
I have been reading up and researching, but i was befuddled by what the dealer service guy told me ... so i am taking my concerns to this forum.

i have the tianium with the sport package and the 18" ps3 tires.

i asked the dealer for a quote on 4 tires and rims because they have a $100 cash back for 4 tires deal going on now. in a nutshell ... he told me that i have to get 18" wheels and the same size tires or else the transmission would not operate properly.

i am planning on getting cheap-o 16" alloy rims with General altimax artic <maybe x-ice or extremeWinterContact>. When i wanted a price on 16's he said i would have to pay $105 "to have the computer reprogrammed" every time i switch the tires.

i know about the TPMS ... and i know that my mph would be a little off ... but this really threw me off. i def dont want to mess around with possibly damaging the tranny.

i feel like this guy is full of it, and i just need some reassurance.

...and yes ... i have done plenty of pricing packages on tirerack.

thanks for reading.[:D]

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
It would be off if you went to a 16 and didnt choose the right tire. you just have to make sure the 18's and the 16's have the same tire height

play around with this and enter your stock size and see what youll need to match it:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.

here is what i got:

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/40-18 3.7in 12.7in 25.4in 79.8in 794 0.0%
215/55-16 4.7in 12.7in 25.3in 79.5in 797 -0.4%

·
Registered
251 Posts
Even better, a lot of '12 Focus owners (myself included) are going 195/65R15 (factory size on the 'S'). Even better pricing on the tires and steelies and your narrower tires will dig in better when there's snow on the ground.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Even better, a lot of '12 Focus owners (myself included) are going 195/65R15 (factory size on the 'S'). Even better pricing on the tires and steelies and your narrower tires will dig in better when there's snow on the ground.
That is what I did as far as the tires. Skinner tires are better in the snow too. 4 tires on rims for less than $1,000. You can even go cheap by putting them on steel rims.

I went with the Sport Edition rims. I think they look nice. $86 each.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts